BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > M3 Frequently Asked Questions > E46 FAQ
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Old Wed, Jan-07-2009, 05:59:24 PM   #11
madsedan

I have to agree with the S2000 post above, I have been bouncing back and forth between M3's and S2000 for a few years now and I'm considering getting another S2000 in the next month or so as the prices have really tanked on them.
I've had 6-7 M3's over the last 10 years and never even considered an S2000 until I had a guy at a dealer talk me into test driving one when I was shopping for an older M roadster. I was sold on the first test drive and bought one a week later.
After about 6 months I started missing the M, the back seat, trunk space, etc. and sold the S2000 and bought a nice 99 M3. I think in my mind I remembered the M3 being sharper and faster than it really was and it just felt so dam soft after driving the S2000 for that time. Now I've sold the M3 and been driving an old E30 and I'm looking at either another E46 M3 or an S2000.
Once I saw that I could get pristine 2004 S2000's for like $16k with low miles I am leaning more into getting one of them instead of another M3 that I would end up spending $8k+ to get something in comparable condition and mileage.
The S2000 is just such a more pure sports car and if you can live with that it is a very dependable and cost effective car to drive daily. I loved the improved gas mileage, cheaper insurance, and affordability but the car is such an amazing car to drive for the right person.
flame suit on....
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jan-08-2009, 05:38:53 AM   #12
MarqE46
Wolverinium

United States

S4, 335i, 370z, 350z, G37s, G35..
Old Fri, Jan-09-2009, 09:57:14 AM   #13
M3erz
Unregistered User..

In the garage:

Kuwait

My Kids BMX..

Bored? Click Here!
Jump to top M3erz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-09-2009, 09:38:37 PM   #14
p0kerface
Schluckauf!

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsedan View Post
I have to agree with the S2000 post above, I have been bouncing back and forth between M3's and S2000 for a few years now and I'm considering getting another S2000 in the next month or so as the prices have really tanked on them.
I've had 6-7 M3's over the last 10 years and never even considered an S2000 until I had a guy at a dealer talk me into test driving one when I was shopping for an older M roadster. I was sold on the first test drive and bought one a week later.
After about 6 months I started missing the M, the back seat, trunk space, etc. and sold the S2000 and bought a nice 99 M3. I think in my mind I remembered the M3 being sharper and faster than it really was and it just felt so dam soft after driving the S2000 for that time. Now I've sold the M3 and been driving an old E30 and I'm looking at either another E46 M3 or an S2000.
Once I saw that I could get pristine 2004 S2000's for like $16k with low miles I am leaning more into getting one of them instead of another M3 that I would end up spending $8k+ to get something in comparable condition and mileage.
The S2000 is just such a more pure sports car and if you can live with that it is a very dependable and cost effective car to drive daily. I loved the improved gas mileage, cheaper insurance, and affordability but the car is such an amazing car to drive for the right person.
flame suit on....
i concur. altho the two cars are quite different in alot of ways. also most drivers who knock the s2000 either never driven one or want a straight-line car
Jump to top p0kerface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-04-2009, 05:03:17 PM   #15
TraJik-M3

Philippines

I agree with the last two posts...my brother has an s2000 and has the best handling ive experienced...plus its fun to drive..you just gotta drive it like you stole it...I love my M3 though...wont trade it for the world...well maybe a 911 turbo....

no matter, what the next best thing other than an M3...?? well, S2000 for the price...S4 if you want it around the same M3 price...dont really know much about mercedes...
Jump to top TraJik-M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-16-2012, 05:56:22 AM   #16
acbauza

United States

Default Re: next best to a M3?

Something else to consider would be an 05 STi, pre-engine failure issue. I've had two STi's an 05 which honestly in stock form with the factory tires was a racecar for the street. It was ridiculous. I only put pads on it and was going by everyone. I have two words to describe what it was like to drive on the track ( The Glen) Point and Shoot! The 09 I had was a great car and was a Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde with the three different ECU settings. In S# with a rear sway bar and stickier Hankook RS-3's I was able to pull on a C5 Z06 with a T1 package. Granted I did point 'em by eventually, but afterwards I was approached by quite a few people asking what I did and I could only smile and say " a sway bar and tires" That car was nice, because it was a hatch and I could carry nearly anything in it. Driven easy it would avg 23 city and 28 to 30hwy. Unfortunately, I don't own it anymore and now am the proud owner of the first M3 I ever rode in when I started doing HPDE's back in early 2000's. It's an E36 and has the H&R Sport Coilovers on it. A nice compromise to a stiffer setup.

I do have to agree the S2000 is a wonderful car too. So, you'll have your work cutout for you deciding what to get. There are a lot of great cars out there.
Jump to top acbauza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Mar-17-2012, 07:49:25 AM   #17
Law
◖ ◎◎ ‖‖‖ ‖‖‖ ◎◎ ◗

In terms of performance & driving dynamics, S2000
In terms of luxury, daily-driving, (i.e. Lux-sport), G37 or 335i
Jump to top Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-18-2012, 06:04:29 AM   #18
¿safxtacy!
Who are we?

Pakistan

You dummies realize the thread is 3 years old right?

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”

Jump to top ¿safxtacy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Mar-24-2012, 05:25:02 AM   #19
m3vert7590

In the garage:

United States

so what, its still cool to talk about what other cars compare to the m3... i just purchased my e46 m3 last february after selling my supercharged 350z, yea the Z was much faster after it was boosted and it handled amazing. but overall the m3 is the better car by far in every category , mucch more solid and drivable, i also just purchased an e39 m5 the engine is phenominal and makes power instantly . i would recommend an m5 to anyone who wants a fast ass 4 door sedan, but definitely expect to SUCK gas and be ready for maintanance of course!

2002 bmw e39 m5 (the BEAST) bilstein coilovers, fcabs.silver on two tone silver and black interior

2006 range rover sport fully loaded (white on beige)

2003 nissan 350z vortech supercharged, nismo lmgt4wheels ,brembo gt kit front 355mm
(400whp)
2007 honda civic lx
Jump to top m3vert7590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Mar-24-2012, 08:52:40 PM   #20
HAWAI'I
FRUSTRATED RACE CAR DRIVER

I would get a 350z or a G35 6 Speed. For the price and power, it is a good deal. The G35 is a much better comparo since it too has a back seat that is not as big as the M3.

I would change the coilovers and other suspension doodads to get better handling out of it and the NAVI coz they suck balls. But other than that, it's a very good car. Parts are cheap and the maintenance is a no brainer since it is a Nissan.
Jump to top HAWAI'I is offline   Reply With Quote