BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > General BMW > General BMW Discussion
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

General BMW Discussion Place to discuss all things BMW. And a place for E30, E36, and E46 owners to get to know each other! BMW News

Old Thu, Jun-20-2019, 03:43:47 AM   #521
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Should I sell my e46 for M2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808elise View Post
Thatís understandable. Not everyone wants a fast sports car.

Maybe its not disillusionment.

Some of us may enjoy the badge or savoring every last ounce of power and could not really handle the torque of a modern car anyhow. But for the rest, behold the benefits of modern engineering and forced induction on stable and corner carving platforms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it were all about forced induction and corner carving, why on *earth* would you get an M2C?

A ZL1 and a used GTR are both cheaper, more powerful, and proven faster than the M2C just off the top of my head. You're also pretty much guaranteed that modding either will be less of a ticking time bomb than the S55. If you're not in the mood to spend $60k, the Golf R, Civic Type R, and the rest of the hot hatch crowd offer better, cheaper fun than BMW's competition.

BMW M cars used to have the edge of being engineered better than anything domestic, and some might say offered the finesse, endurance, etc. from cars that cost twice as much.

I think we can all agree that the M2C is the closest thing to a competitive driver's car that BMW has gone for in recent years... but I personally think the reason the past pile of pages are more debate-y than excitement is that it still seems like a shallow push into the driver's car category that Porsche owns.. and a "meh" counter to some of the domestic cars that have continued making more power yet figured out how to excel at the track.
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jun-20-2019, 04:46:13 AM   #522
Paulo M

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
If it were all about forced induction and corner carving, why on *earth* would you get an M2C?

A ZL1 and a used GTR are both cheaper, more powerful, and proven faster than the M2C just off the top of my head.
What about a used 997 Turbo? ZL1 and GTR are bigger than an e60 M5 lol. M2 at least has similar dimensions as an e46.
Old Thu, Jun-20-2019, 05:08:07 AM   #523
Jaredomin

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
What about a used 997 Turbo? ZL1 and GTR are bigger than an e60 M5 lol. M2 at least has similar dimensions as an e46.
Now you're talking, fck awd though. Id buy one and do rwd conversion.
Still cheaper than a gt2.
Jump to top Jaredomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-20-2019, 05:15:48 AM   #524
808elise

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post

A ZL1 and a used GTR are both cheaper, more powerful, and proven faster than the M2C just off the top of my head. You're also pretty much guaranteed that modding either will be less of a ticking time bomb than the S55. If you're not in the mood to spend $60k, the Golf R, Civic Type R, and the rest of the hot hatch crowd offer better, cheaper fun than BMW's competition.

BMW M cars used to have the edge of being engineered better than anything domestic, and some might say offered the finesse, endurance, etc. from cars that cost twice as much.

I think we can all agree that the M2C is the closest thing to a competitive driver's car that BMW has gone for in recent years... but I personally think the reason the past pile of pages are more debate-y than excitement is that it still seems like a shallow push into the driver's car category that Porsche owns.. and a "meh" counter to some of the domestic cars that have continued making more power yet figured out how to excel at the track.

I was wondering when the rest of the clique was going to show up.

So i guess you lost faith in bmw after the e46? Yes i know. When god engineered it, it became a sin to turbo it. Its the whole package not just carving and power or torque but driving is paramount.

Well on *earth* and especially pertaining to the question, I donít really understand why we keep on comparing all these other cars that were not mentioned in the question. You mentioned a *used* Gtr, a plastic-y supercharged american car, and regressed to saying the civic and golf r are better cars than the competition line up... Just for the top of your head, the ZL1 costs more and any used 100k car like the gtr is a poor comparison if the avg break even point is a 2009 10,000mi example. Good luck finding one that has not been driven aggressively or modified too.

Bmws are still engineered better or just as good as 100k cars like the GTr. You are exaggerating regarding the ticking time bomb stuff. Probably bc you are not in the market anyhow. What is the percentage of sch failures anyhow? Has this issue been addressed since inception of the s55? If so, did it affect incident ratios? Any way to address this issue if you want to modify? Any need to if not modifying? If so any warranties on those parts? You get where Iím going with this? You are putting out misleading information.

Are you saying that bmw engineering has declined since inception of the e46 bc current models lack finesse and endurance? What about the issues posed by the e46? Were those impervious to poor engineering? What were those ratios compared to sch ratios? I mean if you actually offered something worthwhile I might find your post useful.

I find it funny that you and your clique always revert attention from the facts to some other ambiguous subject when we get to specifics. The e46 is not competitively comparable to the m2c. But i will keep mine bc i have alot of work into it to stay very competitive with the current day cars (modified current day cars) and also bc blue book says it wouldnít make a dent in paying for a modern *sports* car if i traded it in. And by sports cars i mean the fast ones where you donít have to work for it.

Oh btw, have you drove the m2c?

Old Thu, Jun-20-2019, 07:20:08 AM   #525
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Thatís understandable. Not everyone wants a fast sports car.

Maybe its not disillusionment.

Some of us may enjoy the badge or savoring every last ounce of power and could not really handle the torque of a modern car anyhow. But for the rest, behold the benefits of modern engineering and forced induction on stable and corner carving platforms.

Lol. Passive aggressive, much?

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
FS: Custom Imola leather/alcantara steering wheel, with imola centering stripe
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-20-2019, 07:47:31 PM   #526
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
I certainly hope not and highly doubt it.

Not sure why so many people enjoy such linear power bands. 400hp great. 300tq? Come on. Much of the aftermarket for s55 is making all their power by just over 5.5k rpm and hits like a brick to the chest. Easily tuned to over 600whp on pump for $5k if you do install on your own. Who cares if it flatlines after that 5.5 with 7 short gears that shift razor sharp and lock hard with gts tune. Im starting burn outs from 40-45mph with stg2 tune. Cant wait to put the turbo upgrade in and hit burnouts from fourth if i feel like it. Imagine that, reliability, plug and play tunes (actually doing them wirelessly now), and actual daily drivability in a comfortable four seater. Bmw has enabled me to drive monster Ms ever since the birth of my son bc their coupes are roomy and comfortable. I had a 3 door turbo veloster to get me through my deployment cycle and the m2c actually has more room for him and is a far more comfortable daily. Porsche has never produced a 2+2 to actually fit anyone in the back or i would have pulled the trigger in 2007 and nearly did.

This is by far the most capable all around four seater i have driven under the 90-100k mark for a new car. The after market has finally caught up too. S55s are producing over 800 hp on stock engines with kratos turbos. The tune is simply emailed and uploaded through my 600$ software upgrade. Some guys here drop 5k on carbon intake and full exhaust...

The only 4 door car i may consider adding is the new M5. But just cant see myself ever getting a four door. The new m5s are crazy fast and handle surprisingly well, especially the m5c. Alot of guys seem to be selling their m3/4s for them.

No question, the M5C would be my pick over the M4C. Other than near silent engine noise (which I guess the segment that buy's M5's like) it needs nothing aftermarket in terms of performance. It's a space shuttle.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Both Karbonius and Streamline CSL Airboxes, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized HJS Race Catted section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized Custom section 2, Custom Oversized Supersprint muffler, Catcam's Billet 280/272 cams, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Brembo GT6 (front) + GT4 (rear) BBK, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, SMG Pump Relocated.
For Sale: BNIB OE CSL Wheels
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested):
Camshaft Group-Buy, OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-20-2019, 09:59:51 PM   #527
Paulo M

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
No question, the M5C would be my pick over the M4C. Other than near silent engine noise (which I guess the segment that buy's M5's like) it needs nothing aftermarket in terms of performance. It's a space shuttle.
Howíd you like the automatic tq converter in the m5 in comparison to the dct? I know from driving the RCF, itís about 90% there but makes up for the 10% in auto mode.

manual mode in the ISF to RCF was a huge leap! ISF was laggy junk while RCF was quick in response.
Old Fri, Jun-21-2019, 07:34:15 PM   #528
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
How’d you like the automatic tq converter in the m5 in comparison to the dct? I know from driving the RCF, it’s about 90% there but makes up for the 10% in auto mode.

manual mode in the ISF to RCF was a huge leap! ISF was laggy junk while RCF was quick in response.
Great question.

To preface this, I only spent part of the day in the M5C and when driving it, I always had the transmission in "manual-mode". I'm not sure if this was the proper mode for the autotransmission or not, but I am used to manually shifting my semi-auto transmissions and had been driving the M4C and M2C's DCT in manual mode during that same day to compare to.

I think the automatic transmission suits the M5C very well. The M5 (even the Comp) version still is a luxury car at heart, albeit also a super-sedan. As such, the engine noises are very much muted compared to the M2C and M4C, which I guess their target demographic likes. The transmission is insanely smooth and insanely fast. I will admit, manually shifting gears was a little confusing in this car. With 8 gears, it took some getting used to as far as what gear to be in and when. Couple that with what feels like endless power and torque, it really doesn't matter what gear you are in. There is always more power always available than what is really needed, regardless of gear. For their target market, it's a fantastic transmission. It holds the power, its literally seamless in shifts without losing any boost or power in between gears, and its incredibly smooth.

Now....the million dollar question, I like the transmission in the M5C, but would I want it in the M4C or the M2C? No. Unpopular opinion here, but I like my SMG transmission and I really liked the DCT in both the M4C and M2C for a sports car. The SMG and DCT still retain a lot of the mechanical feeling you get from a traditional manual, especially the SMG -- Which I enjoy. Is the automatic smoother and faster and more seamless? Yes. However, for a sports car, I don't want too seamless. It takes away from the character of the car. Too smooth, and you might as well not be changing gears and driving a CVT. I want to feel a bit of the gear changes. The M5C was so smooth and quiet that it made it easy to lose track of what gear you were in without having engine noise or gear changing sensations to go off of and with how much power this car makes). Luckily, there was enough torque that it didn't matter (bringing things back to Ian's point about why he doesn't like gobs of torque).

Long winded reply. It's a phenomenal transmission for the M5C -- I was actually super impressed by it (which was a big shocker for me considering how vehemently against an automatic transmission I was when they first announced they were putting an auto in the M5C). However, the slightly slower DCT was more mechanical and more fun in my opinion and felt pretty much identical to what I am used to with my SMG. With the M5C, changing gears doesn't really matter all too much and thus the transmission fades a bit to the background in terms of user involvement. Whipping through the gears in both the M4C and M2C just had another level of involvement and engagement that I really enjoyed -- It felt more mechanical which I appreciate.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Both Karbonius and Streamline CSL Airboxes, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized HJS Race Catted section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized Custom section 2, Custom Oversized Supersprint muffler, Catcam's Billet 280/272 cams, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Brembo GT6 (front) + GT4 (rear) BBK, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, SMG Pump Relocated.
For Sale: BNIB OE CSL Wheels
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested):
Camshaft Group-Buy, OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2

Last edited by Dr M3an M3; Fri, Jun-21-2019 at 07:38:20 PM.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-07-2019, 08:34:52 PM   #529
tegraphile

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapoune View Post
Amazing.
Old Mon, Sep-09-2019, 05:22:20 PM   #530
WaNaM

United States

I'd keep the E46, the prices seem to have bottomed out on them and I predict they will start climbing again in a couple years: M3 Prices. Good examples are going to be hard to find and command a decent $ value. M2 is fun, but I like the E46 more. Porsche is a different story all together
Jump to top WaNaM is offline   Reply With Quote