BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Faults, Fixes and DIY
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Faults, Fixes and DIY Please share your experience and knowledge with other members by contributing your own DIY, or by helping another member find the elusive fix!

Old Sun, Dec-02-2012, 10:25:24 PM   #101
emthree1

United States

Default Re: DIY Fuel Filter Change

I did my fuel filter today on my '02 M3. I used a variety of special tools to remove the inlet side connection, but it was extremely stubborn. Ultimately the aluminum inlet line to the filter line broke off at the canister . . . damn. The white clip fell to pieces. The broken aluminum inlet was stuck in the fitting.

After a lot of cursing, I found a 5/16" fuel line terminal fitting 'repair' kit at Oreilly. I pulled the plastic piece out of the 5/16" terminal, and it fit the 8mm fitting perfectly. Back together with no leaks.
Jump to top emthree1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Dec-03-2012, 05:26:58 AM   #102
oocutioo

Viet Nam

thanks for this DIY. I'll be doing this next week
Jump to top oocutioo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, May-11-2013, 03:43:31 PM   #103
aznniche

In the garage:

United States

Crap. Fuel filter snapped off the fuel regulator when trying to take it off. Anyone have any ideas to remove the snapped off area inside the fuel regulator or do I have to replace that ?

Also, the white snap ring on the other end crumbled to pieces when taking off. Any idea on this?
Jump to top aznniche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-21-2013, 07:03:11 AM   #104
abbey

United States

You have given a great information to do the work by yourself and its very informative. I am not an expert but with the little knowledge you have missed some things. Everybody should have knowledge about what you are going to do.
Old Sat, Oct-05-2013, 07:36:39 PM   #105
McGary911

In the garage:

United States

I just did mine and it went pretty well. The banjo bolt between the filter and regulator unscrewed from the old filter and stayed IN the FPR. I pulled off the FPR (have to clamp that line that goes to the curved fitting on the FPR, a return line I think....or it'll leak til you're out of gas.

Once the FPR was off the car, it was still a beotch to get the fitting out, but eventually it went. I put everything back together and no leaks.

It DID run very rough at first and threw a few misfire codes. I shut it down while I cleaned up and it's running great again.

Thanks for the write up (if the OP is still around). It was very helpful.
Jump to top McGary911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-05-2013, 10:43:26 PM   #106
Schitzel

In the garage:

United States

Great write up!

My CEL has remained on after a rough start up and restart. I did turn the key to position 2 several times to re-pressurize. Car runs fine, any way to solve this?

2003.5 Jet/Cinn 6MT

Eibach Borla Rouge Beisan Powerflex Valentine SPAL
Jump to top Schitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-04-2014, 06:41:21 PM   #107
m3 hal

United States

Thanks for the DIY and tool list OP, it made this a walk in the park and took about 30 minutes once the car was on the lift.

I pulled the fuse, ran the car until it cut off, removed the underbody shields, bled the valve on the FPR, used a cloth on the FPR and some channel lock pliers + wrench on the fuel filter and loosened the front part, undid white clip on rear part in about a minute being extra careful. I didn't clamp anything off and lost maybe 2-3 cups of fuel total (had a friend holding a 5 gallon bucket under it so couldn't really tell how much exactly).

Car ran rough on first startup despite attempts to prime the fuel lines. Got a check engine light that went away after shutting it off and restarting.

Last edited by m3 hal; Sun, May-04-2014 at 06:44:39 PM.
Jump to top m3 hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-16-2014, 02:53:18 AM   #108
dunluvmeeh

In the garage:

United States

so I broke the white clip on the rear part. still couldn't pull out the fuel filter. after a while messing around with it. the fuel filter broke at the "ridge" where it stuck to the clip. i was able to pry out the little piece that still stuck inside the rear line.

there is another clip inside the rear line that keep the end of the fuel filter in place. so when you push back the white plastic clip, it releases the other clip inside and allow you to pull out the fuel filter. I was able to install the new fuel filter without the white plastic clip.
Jump to top dunluvmeeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-16-2014, 06:53:29 AM   #109
E46_M3_ZCP
Dinan S1

In the garage:

United States

Default DIY Fuel Filter Change

So I'm going to change out my fuel filter this next upcoming weekend and just wanted to give thanks to the OP and others who have performed this job. I'm almost certain I would have broken this infamous white clip if it wasn't for this thread but that's yet to be seen. Any way, here's an image of a quick connect/disconnect water fitting that I believe shares the same design as our white clip. These types of fittings are commonly used in residential drinking water filtration systems as I just installed one this past weekend.

Last edited by E46_M3_ZCP; Tue, May-20-2014 at 11:52:54 PM.
Jump to top E46_M3_ZCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-16-2014, 09:27:38 PM   #110
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

For those who have INPA, you can use it to prime your fuel lines

Activating that fuel pump relay runs the fuel pump for about 5 seconds, and you can hear audible changes as the fuel lines get primed and pressurized. Also a good way to check for leaks without starting the car