BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Tue, Oct-09-2018, 09:22:50 PM   #1
Texaz3

United States

Default ’05 CB ZCP Ramblings

You know what they say – third time’s a charm?

This seems to be the case with me and E46M, as this is my third coupe (well, technically 4th, but I only owned car #3 for 10 days before selling it, more on that later) – and this time it’s a ZCP.

It has some miles and some warts, bit is an ‘05 and my favorite Carbon Black over black, so it must be a keeper, right?

Those who know me from my previous “ramblings” – I’m a big time M-car guy, owned lots of BMWs and M-cars in particular. Few years ago, been bitten by a “restoration” bug (sparked in part by my son interest in working/wrenching on cars), so for a quite some time now I search for neglected, but fundamentally sound cars to buy on the cheap and bring them back to former glory. Couple of my previous journals if you care to take a look:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=593016

https://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...ure-heavy.html

Initially, the thought was to buy a car in need of TLC, fix it up, enjoy for a bit, and sell to finance next project. In reality, this happened only with E46 #1, and then it became a labor of love and I couldn’t sell what I built, so I kept them all….Obviously this snowballed a bit out of control and I currently find myself with 5 M-cars in the garage and a wife that thinks I lost it… 😊

So this would be another one of these “bought neglected and brought back to former glory” type of threads. I’m not a mechanic, but I like to DIY here and there, and my son Michael (now 12) helps me out with these projects. Its more of a father and son type of activity, though he does peel off in the middle more times than I was hoping! But its all good.

Let’s talk a little bit about the subject of this thread – 2005 E46 M3 SMG Coupe with competition package in Carbon Black over black nappa with 112K miles (currently as of October 2018) and pretty much stock and will remain stock for the most part (I like stock cars). As already mentioned, this is my 3rd long term E46M and I previously had another CB SMG Coupe (’02) and Silbergrau 6MT Coupe (’04) in the past. Was looking for an SMG car specifically, as I absolutely love this gearbox and I have 3 other manual cars to drive when I want to row my own.

Anyway. Lets start with a bit of history – found the car on Craigslist (my second successful Craigslist purchase, my Dakar E36 was my first). Passed on it a few times, as the car looked clean, but seller was unresponsive, and I thought the car was sold and seller didn’t want to deal with inquires.

But one day when I almost made a deal on a car in Seattle, I got an email with Carfax on the car and a phone number, saying that it was still available. Called the guy, talked a bit about the car, the dude seemed straightforward and no nonsense, so I started looking more into it.

The car was for sale for quite some time, and even though it was priced a bit on a high side, it looked like it was in decent shape. No accidents, some service records, two keys, manuals. I tracked down previous owner, who provided some information, pulled service history at my dealer, and found a guy who attempted to buy a car just a couple of weeks ago before me and did a PPI on it – then backed out based on the results of PPI and seller not budging on the price citing that “his mechanic is looking for work”.

The list below is what was noted on the PPI (and my findings after in person inspection):

Lower radiator hose chafed (it was not)
Clutch fan low resistance and rusted (it definitely wasn’t bad)
Valve Cover leaking (seemed very residual, possibly left from valve gasket job, was not leaking)
Oil Pan gasket leaking (was CPV that was leaking)
Various spots of rust underneath car (some surface rust)
Transmission rear seal leaking (again, it was CPV not main seal)
Rear control arms rusted and squeaking (yup)
Motor mounts need to be replaced (were tired, along with bunch of other suspension bushings and rubber, as expected)

Here are the pictures of the car provided by the seller.

So, armed with all that, and the sensing that seller was tired of trying to sell the car, I made him a low-ball offer, he tried to negotiate a bit, met me half way, and I flew to New Orleans to pick up the car.

It was pouring when I landed in Nola. Seller met me at the airport, and we went to one of the parking garages so I could check it out.

The car mostly checked out. Most of the PPI issues were clearly overblown, and the car turned out to have reinforced subframe (seller didn’t even mention it) which was a major bonus! He did it shortly after he bought the car preventatively with Turner plates and foam, had all receipts for work done!

So, we exchanged dead presidents for a title, shook hands, and I was on my way to Texas.

Half the trip home it was raining. Good for a long way home.

Quick stop for lunch at MDs somewhere in the middle of nowhere at LA-Texas border:

Made it home in under 8 hours, which was good time, especially considering rained half the way. Car performed well overall, front wheel bearings were shot (noisy), but other than that, the car felt solid.

This is how the story of this ZCP begins.

As a side note – I have done quite a bit since I bought the car back in April. This thread would be more of a time-lapse journal rather than real-time updates, at least until the point where I’m now, will have a few updates in short succession. Stay tuned.
Jump to top Texaz3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Oct-16-2018, 02:58:26 AM   #2
Jaredomin

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: ’05 CB ZCP Ramblings

That M6 is sweet
Jump to top Jaredomin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-16-2018, 05:56:22 PM   #3
simon_c

United States

Looking forward to another great build journal
Old Wed, Oct-17-2018, 07:40:17 AM   #4
Maseroche

Bahrain

Beautiful car and a dream garage for sure!

'03 BMW E46 M3

'12 BMW E92 M3
Jump to top Maseroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Nov-16-2018, 06:33:55 PM   #5
Texaz3

United States

Thanks guys.
Apologies for not updating this sooner. Had some unexpected stuff happen (i.e. life) and was too busy figuring it out. I have compiled pictures for the next update and will post shortly!
Old Tue, Nov-20-2018, 07:17:18 PM   #6
Texaz3

United States

So, after being brought home, the first order was to crawl everywhere and asses the true condition and amount of work required and put together a plan of restoration. As such, the next set of pictures is basically as the car was sitting before I did anything to it – a starting point of sorts.

Cosmetically, there wasn’t anything that was terrible or gaudy, but the car felt a bit “neglected”. There were a few things that were easy to fix but weren’t, which kind of told the story. But luckily, there wasn’t any irreversible damage or “big ticket” items that really needed to be done at first glance.

The owner before the seller invested a good amount of money to do a lot of deferred maintenance stuff. Still, there were plenty of items that needed attention.

Interior, while overall in decent shape, showed some abuse – the steering wheel had a dirty spot on it (later determined to be glue), the trim was worn in several spots:

Alcantara on the rim was in worse shape than that on the brake handle or shifter, but still in good, salvageable condition – it was dirty, but not necessarily worn badly. The wheel will be replaced at some point later, but at $800+ a pop this was the item that I was willing to just clean, restore, and wait until I have spare funds to get a new one later. With money needed for other more critical things, I was ok with it.

The leather condition overall was surprisingly good, all seats still having a nice matt surface, with the exception of the driver seat – it obviously had some wear on it, though not terrible:

Rear seat was either brand new, or never really used, as it really felt absolutely brand spanking new. Supple, soft and matt leather, still smelled new. Pass front was in very good shape too.

Rear sunshade was fully operational and as far as I know not a very common option.

There was an iPod interface installed in the glovebox – it does work, but its terrible anyway.

I think PO replaced leather armrests, as all four were pristine – impossible on a 100K+ miles car:

The car was a non-smoker (I’m allergic to tabaco smoke and it would have been a deal breaker for me), but the lighter obviously was used a few times:

The panels around were lightly scratched, but obviously replaced at some point, as there was no way soft-touch would have survived this mileage in this condition.

Armrest was clean and supple, but you could see it starting to wear a bit:

Shifter was in good shape cosmetically, probably recently replaced:

Trunk was clean:

Car came with 2 keys, all manuals & literature. Sadly no window sticker.

Moving on to the engine bay, all looked good, just a bit dirty. No visible leaks or anything out of place.

Some residual fluid on SMG tank:

Some RTV from the valve adjustment/gasket job – a good sign it was actually done!

No leaking from the valve cover, though those strut bar nuts needed to be replaced as they were rusty:

Moving to the outside of the car, there were few cosmetic issues to take care of. Windshield cowl was getting white-ish and starting to crack:

The dreaded quarter window seal rot was rearing its ugly head:

Front bumper was absolutely peppered with stone chips – proof the car was on a highway a lot, which was fine by me – the bumper was getting repainted anyway!

Side markers on both sides were chipped as well. The clearcoat was almost dull on the bumper and starting to peel in spots. I think it was refinished at some point, and done quickly, possibly by a dealer before the sale.

The wheels were standard ZCP issue 19’ BBS CSL-design, all were straight and looked good from about 10 feet away, but they were re-finished in wrong shade of silver, curbed in a few spots, and were wearing awful all-season G-Max AS03 tires that sounded like truck tires and were super hard.

Good thing – the brakes and rotors were brand new on all 4!

Overall, the car had some warts, but was in good shape. Definitely something I could work with!

Quickly getting under the car, the following things were discovered – while nothing was leaking currently, and I spotted no liquids on the ground – something was definitely leaking at some point:

Oil plug had some oil residue around it (nothing on the ground) and Allen inside was stripped.

Gearbox plug was dry, but there was definitely some liquid residue around it (later determined to be leaving CPV):

There was definitely some residue on the back of the gearbox (which lead PPI mechanic to believe this was rear-main seal) which ended up being a CPV leak:

So, this is what the car looked like before I started. Some unexpected surprised (both good and bad), but overall in line with what I thought this was going to be for the price. I have identified most critical areas, ordered parts, and was putting together restoration plan.

Meanwhile, the car was a washed, and taken to get inspected and registered:

Bye-bye LA registration:

Hello Texas plates:

It was officially mine.
Old Tue, Nov-20-2018, 09:20:13 PM   #7
EYEHAVEYOU
Simon

In the garage:

United States

I know I've seen your garage pic posted in another thread, but just in case I didn't say it then - absolutely incredible

Always nice to see an E46 being saved.

2006 M3 ZCP 6MT - Interlagos Blue /// Imola Red
2005 M3 ZCP 6MT - Alpine White /// Imola Red (Gone)
Jump to top EYEHAVEYOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-21-2018, 04:13:30 PM   #8
Texaz3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEHAVEYOU View Post
I know I've seen your garage pic posted in another thread, but just in case I didn't say it then - absolutely incredible

Always nice to see an E46 being saved.
Cheers man.
More to come soon.
Old Wed, Nov-21-2018, 05:27:00 PM   #9
Steve M3

United States

Look forward to this one being saved from the path it was headed down, nice find!

P.S. I am jealous of your garage setup
Jump to top Steve M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-21-2018, 06:34:16 PM   #10
Texaz3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M3 View Post
Look forward to this one being saved from the path it was headed down, nice find!

P.S. I am jealous of your garage setup
Thanks, I'm very fortunate to be able to afford these cars/garage and have a wife/family that tolerates my obsession!