BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Nov-08-2018, 10:08:22 PM   #601
simon_c

United States

Default Re: The Official Bring a Trailer (BaT) Listing Thread - E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1 View Post
As far as I understand if properly done it is basically indistinguishable until you run it through a vin decoder.

The hunt for an LSB/Black will entail a lot of excitement whenever you find a new LSB listing, and then disappointment once you click on it only to find the dove grey interior, or that it was an SMG listed as a manual - so I wish you patience and good luck. I must say there were moments when I got antsy and considered some of the dove grey interiors, but now that I got one with black I am so glad I waited.
Usually the biggest identifier is if you see the area on the gauge cluster for the SMG shift indicator. Most people do not switch out the cluster for a 6MT one (I assume this would be a PITA to do and requires some official BMW equipment?)

As for the estoril that just sold on BAT, I know of several situations where the seller ghosted the sale when they did not get what they wanted and BAT will ban the seller but still leave the auction link up that shows it as sold. Just something to think about.
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Nov-08-2018, 11:03:17 PM   #602
M spec
Rembrandt Audio

Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1 View Post
As far as I understand if properly done it is basically indistinguishable until you run it through a vin decoder.

The hunt for an LSB/Black will entail a lot of excitement whenever you find a new LSB listing, and then disappointment once you click on it only to find the dove grey interior, or that it was an SMG listed as a manual - so I wish you patience and good luck. I must say there were moments when I got antsy and considered some of the dove grey interiors, but now that I got one with black I am so glad I waited.

I have a buddy whoís selling his LSB/Black Manual (converted by Kaiv here) thatís in great shape with the e46 weak points taken care of.

PM if interested
Jump to top M spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-08-2018, 11:10:18 PM   #603
neopolymath

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceansize View Post
You can use the money you save by buying dove grey to do an interior swap which is particularly easy if your just going straight black. Harder to find and more expensive if looking for imola, cinnamon, or god forbid and individual color.
For non-purists/speculators, this is the absolutely obvious value move. It takes almost nothing to swap an interior, but you still see guys doing DIY vanos jobs and shying away from this for some reason.
Jump to top neopolymath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-08-2018, 11:15:47 PM   #604
simon_c

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by neopolymath View Post
For non-purists/speculators, this is the absolutely obvious value move. It takes almost nothing to swap an interior, but you still see guys doing DIY vanos jobs and shying away from this for some reason.
Replacing the carpet and the dashboard make the interior swap a nightmare (for dove grey interior that is).
Old Fri, Nov-09-2018, 12:22:59 AM   #605
e46lsb

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon_c View Post
Usually the biggest identifier is if you see the area on the gauge cluster for the SMG shift indicator. Most people do not switch out the cluster for a 6MT one (I assume this would be a PITA to do and requires some official BMW equipment?)

As for the estoril that just sold on BAT, I know of several situations where the seller ghosted the sale when they did not get what they wanted and BAT will ban the seller but still leave the auction link up that shows it as sold. Just something to think about.

Thatís an easy change. Take the cluster lens off. Have the screen from a 6 speed cluster. Pop it on.
Old Fri, Nov-09-2018, 12:24:41 AM   #606
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46lsb View Post
Thatís an easy change. Take the cluster lens off. Have the screen from a 6 speed cluster. Pop it on.
Warmup LEDs are also different. SMG has a red one at 4k, and the rest of the LEDs are yellow instead of orange.
Old Fri, Nov-09-2018, 12:25:30 AM   #607
e46lsb

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
Warmup LEDs are also different. SMG has a red one at 4k, and the rest of the LEDs are yellow instead of orange.

Interesting. Ty.
Old Fri, Nov-09-2018, 01:09:22 AM   #608
neopolymath

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon_c View Post
Replacing the carpet and the dashboard make the interior swap a nightmare (for dove grey interior that is).
As someone who has done it many times, I have to disagree. Also, my point is that you hear about people doing involved engine/suspension DIY work that involves real tools and thinking and they are scarred to use some non-marring trim tools and a screwdriver apparently lol. It's just the vibe I get when I read posts about it on here. It takes a day max while taking your time and drinking beer and I think its a joke that people are so against it but decide to mess with their engine timing for the first time ever on this car.
Jump to top neopolymath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Nov-09-2018, 01:57:48 AM   #609
evil panda

United States

BaT is basically the seller's market for low mile, 6MT, all-original LSB's or individual colors. and/or cars with cinnamon interior. it's really crazy how this site has evolved. everything else is a steal for the buyer. especially with mods - you get those for free or even for a discount. the people there have some serious blinders on.

beastmobile, i want your airbox!!!! tell your buyer to fukk off and part that car out
Jump to top evil panda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Nov-09-2018, 12:57:23 PM   #610
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by neopolymath View Post
Grey to not grey interior conversion and SMG --> manual conversions are both considerably more work than vanos lock down.

That said, were I buying an M3 today, it would be a 2003 (pre facelift values, but still has the post facelift electronics) SMG car, with the intent to 6mt convert it.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote