BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Nov-08-2018, 10:24:51 PM   #81
simon_c

United States

Default Re: E46 M3 being Forgotten...

I'm having the opposite thought process right now since I just got engaged and the E46 M3 is my weekend/fun car. Already looking at adding an E36 M3 in the near future before the wedding/kids so that I can make sure I don't talk myself out it in the future
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Nov-08-2018, 10:28:17 PM   #82
SQ13

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon_c View Post
I'm having the opposite thought process right now since I just got engaged and the E46 M3 is my weekend/fun car. Already looking at adding an E36 M3 in the near future before the wedding/kids so that I can make sure I don't talk myself out it in the future
Buy my E36 M3. I donít want it anymore.
Old Fri, Nov-09-2018, 02:10:06 AM   #83
Rich.7

In the garage:

United States

Think about selling it do to any car that just sits tends to age faster then one that has been driven occasionally on weekends.
Jump to top Rich.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Nov-09-2018, 08:31:53 PM   #84
TheDoogan
Forward Loaded

In the garage:

United States

Ahh, my friends. I certainly understand the demands of time and family.

We must never forget that, in life, there are transient Goods (good things), and there are permanent goods.

To the original poster: It sounds as if your exposure to permanent goods is re-framing your priorities. Things in life that seemed important before, change.

I think something like the M3, or how our perspective on the M3 will be shifted by having or growing a full family, will depend on what sort of position it occupied in our lives before the family. If it was a sort of... ego pacification device, or a filler of spare time, it will rightly fade away or at least diminish in importance. Because surely there's nothing more fulfilling to a man with Right priorities than providing for (and being with) his family. And so, if our M3's original motives opposed these aims... then, sure. But if the M3 was well-adjusted into a well-ordered life... then I think it doesn't change too much.

My personal experience is:

I am 32, I have three children and another on the way (at least I hope this little soul lasts; we miscarried a few months ago). I bought my M3 (and the 330CI a year before it) as a reaction to my first four years of having children. You see...

The Catholics speak of the concept of 'self death'; they say that we must kill our own egos so that our true selves and the living God can rise within us in its place - that the two cannot occupy the same body. And, as a combat front-line veteran of six months welcomes the fresh replacements with a sardonic grin, the Catholics say: raising a family (actually raising a family, rather than outsourcing the job) is the surest path to self-death.

And, as at least one other poster here observed: "I was totally unprepared for what having a child would be like." That was me, at about 8 months in with #1. (Not to mention, we converted to 'said' religion at the same time, which for us requires total devotion which - for all - requires a sudden total abstinence from artificial contraceptives and all similar forms of gratification.) Fortunately, with grace, we do adjust. We do literally die to ourselves, and our priorities change. What would have been unthinkable or even suicidal before (5.5hrs of broken up sleep for 6 years; 5/7 days of fun protestant sex with the wife being reduced to once a week - at best, and if it's not a fertile time - "hurry before the baby wakes up"; 5 hours of free time per day being reduced to 90 minutes; etc etc etc), becomes not only tolerable; but almost something to savor. Where scarcity makes one appreciate what he has so much more.

It has been a journey, and this is only my experience. I still count myself as 'young', and there are older and wiser men here who will have had different experiences.

But for me, after 4 years, I felt that I had gone a little too far with self-death. AT LEAST in the department of possessions, because God knows I have barely begun on 'self death' as a whole. I felt that I needed to reclaim a little bit of who I was, what I was. Not only for myself, but actually for my family: I think even in the ways and the degrees to which we pursue and experience joy, we witness to our spouses and children.

"Who is my father? Did he exist at all?"

I love to follow the lead of Saint Joseph: a man who, as I see it, devoted his life to facilitation. He didn't seek to gain for himself, didn't seek gratification, and we can only speculate as to what kinds of (if any) creature comforts he permitted himself. And, I pray for the strength and selflessness to always be a good father and husband, regardless of how many of my needs or wants are sidelined or forgotten.

BUT. I think part of being a man requires us to retain a little bit of a razor-sharp, lethal edge.

I exercise and train.

I carry a handgun everywhere I go along with two spare mags.

I shave my head.

And - when I'm out without the family - I drive a loud-ass M-f***ing 3.

2006 E46 M3, 6MT, Convertible, Black/Black - 72k miles
60k mile Service II, Evolve CSL Intake w/Alpha-N tune, Schrick CSL Cam, Active Autowerke Catless Headers, Section 1 High-flow cats & Section 3.
Jump to top TheDoogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Nov-09-2018, 08:33:11 PM   #85
TheDoogan
Forward Loaded

In the garage:

United States

Wherein The Doogan realizes the thread said Oct 2017, not 2018.

*face palm*. Oh well, maybe my words will help someone else.

Cheers, OP. I'm glad you didn't sell, since it was right for you.

60k mile Service II, Evolve CSL Intake w/Alpha-N tune, Schrick CSL Cam, Active Autowerke Catless Headers, Section 1 High-flow cats & Section 3.
Old Sat, Nov-10-2018, 07:28:41 PM   #86
moezer

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoogan View Post

All of us get bored one way and another and we keep scrolling threw the pages lool

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
Jump to top moezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Nov-10-2018, 07:30:21 PM   #87
SQ13

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoogan View Post

I feel like Iíve been scammed.
Old Sun, Nov-11-2018, 02:16:08 AM   #88
TheDoogan
Forward Loaded

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
I feel like Iíve been scammed.
You have no idea...

Old Sun, Nov-11-2018, 10:19:43 PM   #89
e46Dawg

In the garage:

United States

Mine has been sitting in the garage way too much for the past 2 years. Don't have the time to really enjoy it, but still have expenses to keep it. Didn't even drive it 1k miles last year, but have to do fluid changes, put it on a battery tender and other maintenance like leaking seals even though it sits. It's just a car. Not like prices are skyrocketing for typical examples. Either drive it and enjoy it or sell it. Unless you have an extremely low mileage example in a high demand color/spec, I can see why it's not worth it to some. Especially those with other hobbies/interests/responsibilities who don't utilize it as much.
Jump to top e46Dawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Nov-11-2018, 10:40:59 PM   #90
2006E46M3fan

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46Dawg View Post
Mine has been sitting in the garage way too much for the past 2 years. Don't have the time to really enjoy it, but still have expenses to keep it. Didn't even drive it 1k miles last year, but have to do fluid changes, put it on a battery tender and other maintenance like leaking seals even though it sits. It's just a car. Not like prices are skyrocketing for typical examples. Either drive it and enjoy it or sell it. Unless you have an extremely low mileage example in a high demand color/spec, I can see why it's not worth it to some. Especially those with other hobbies/interests/responsibilities who don't utilize it as much.
I commented when this thread was first created and this year is the lowest amount I've driven it, at around 1k miles due to work/family-kids/house/etc. It hasn't stopped me from buying more stuff for it.

I contemplate selling it all the time, but can't think of another car on this price range in which I like the handing, quickness, looks, and mechanical feel of. One day my life will be simpler and I'd rather keep it and not start over. "Better the devil you know than the devil you don't."