BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Forced Induction (F/I)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Forced Induction (F/I) Discuss the ever growing F/I options here!

Old Sun, Jul-22-2018, 07:21:20 PM   #1
GrendelsbaneM3

United States

Default Heat while on boost with ESS 575 kit

Hello, I just got a ESS 575 kit on my car and when driving spiritedly the coolant temp started creeping to the 2nd dot. Before it got to crazy I let off the gas and temp went back down after a bit. Oil temp was pretty good sitting in the middle. Currently I am running a Mishimoto radiator, SPAL fan, Motorsport thermostat, new coolant, ESS intercooler, and CSF oil cooler.

Granted it was 84 degrees and I was running the AC at the time. I am wondering a few things, especially folks who have the same kit. Does your temp generally stop at the 2nd dot? Or are you normally running dead middle?

I am thinking of just going all out and getting the Zionsville competition radiator to cool things off. Anybody have any thoughts on whether that will help alleviate the problem? Any other suggestions to deal with the temp creep?

Thanks!
2004 Silver M3 / SMG / Koni Yellow shocks and struts / Vogtlands lowering springs / Eibach front and rear sway bars / Proflex bushings / Predator Orion V2 Multi-Color LED Angel Eyes / Laser Interceptors / Clear Bumper Reflectors / Zionsville Competition Cooling Kit with Offset Fan / AKG Motor mounts / Rogue Engineering Transmission Mount / AKG differential bushings / Euro mirrors / B&B Exhaust / CSL SMG tune /DME CSL tune / ESS 575 Supercharger

Jump to top GrendelsbaneM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Jul-22-2018, 08:09:40 PM   #2
dtmpowerjc
dtmpowerjc

United States

Default Re: Heat while on boost with ESS 575 kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrendelsbaneM3 View Post
Hello, I just got a ESS 575 kit on my car and when driving spiritedly the coolant temp started creeping to the 2nd dot. Before it got to crazy I let off the gas and temp went back down after a bit. Oil temp was pretty good sitting in the middle. Currently I am running a Mishimoto radiator, SPAL fan, Motorsport thermostat, new coolant, ESS intercooler, and CSF oil cooler.

Granted it was 84 degrees and I was running the AC at the time. I am wondering a few things, especially folks who have the same kit. Does your temp generally stop at the 2nd dot? Or are you normally running dead middle?

I am thinking of just going all out and getting the Zionsville competition radiator to cool things off. Anybody have any thoughts on whether that will help alleviate the problem? Any other suggestions to deal with the temp creep?

Thanks!

You might have not bled your coolant properly and or your thermostat is not functioning properly. Also verify your ac fan is working properly and the spal fan is also working properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Jump to top dtmpowerjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-22-2018, 09:18:52 PM   #3
GrendelsbaneM3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmpowerjc View Post
You might have not bled your coolant properly and or your thermostat is not functioning properly. Also verify your ac fan is working properly and the spal fan is also working properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hmmm...I will rebleed for sure. Thermostat is about 2 weeks old so I figure that is good. But I do like the idea of checking out the AC fan. Thanks for the ideas!
2004 Silver M3 / SMG / Koni Yellow shocks and struts / Vogtlands lowering springs / Eibach front and rear sway bars / Proflex bushings / Predator Orion V2 Multi-Color LED Angel Eyes / Laser Interceptors / Clear Bumper Reflectors / Zionsville Competition Cooling Kit with Offset Fan / AKG Motor mounts / Rogue Engineering Transmission Mount / AKG differential bushings / Euro mirrors / B&B Exhaust / CSL SMG tune /DME CSL tune / ESS 575 Supercharger

Old Thu, Aug-30-2018, 05:54:14 AM   #4
TMS951

United States

I have the same issue as you. Mine goes even higher, it has left the car untrackable. Honestly its barely drivable around town on hot days.

I have:
Zionsville radiator
Dual 16" electric fans (one push, one pull)
lots of custom ducting to get as much air through the radiator and not around it.
Vented the hood.
Bimmerworld oil cooler (oil temps not an issue because coolant temp goes up so quick.

I have a VAC stage 3 engine build
Super Sprint V2 stepped headers, HJS cats and a corsa exhaust.

I've pretty much given up. I may try a lower boost pulley, and if that doesn't work remove the kit. The cars no fun if you can't drive it.

01 M3- ESS VT2-575 - Stoptech 355 - VAC stage 3 Engine - K&W - CCW + O.Z. - much much more...
Jump to top TMS951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Aug-31-2018, 04:28:19 PM   #5
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

you guys solved your problems?
Old Tue, Sep-18-2018, 04:46:22 PM   #6
TMS951

United States

No, I think its an issue with the cylinder head design. I don't see it is fixable.

Likely why Evolve never released a kit and the Dinan one while intercooled only made 420hp or something super low.

The fix is removing forced induction or not trying to do anything more than one 3rd gear pull and don't drive it i the summer in traffic.

My kit will likely be removed in the spring. While its stupid fast, its proclivity to overheating makes it pretty useless. There is an off chance i'll try low boost, but honestly that HP level is really not worth the hassle.

01 M3- ESS VT2-575 - Stoptech 355 - VAC stage 3 Engine - K&W - CCW + O.Z. - much much more...
Jump to top TMS951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Sep-22-2018, 08:22:41 AM   #7
GrendelsbaneM3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickrayos View Post
you guys solved your problems?
No, I am still having issues.

I have the:

-Zionsville Offset Competition Radiator with buit in SPAL and shroud
-New thermostat (NOTE: Seemed to run cooler with Motorsport thermostat)
-CSF Oil Cooler
-New Waterpump
-Bled several times with 70/30 coolant mix. No bubbles. (I am thinking of also adding Purple Ice or Water Wetter, but the horror stories of brown crap in the radiator is off putting).
-Flossman Vented Hood
-There is no coolant in the oil. Oil is clean. No smoke. So no blown head gasket.

I am at my wits end on what else to do to control the temp on acceleration. While it could be the head design, I read about people with the exact same kit running stock coolant system and the car runs dead in the middle of the temp gauge.

I am at the point I am thinking of adding a water sprayer system to try and use evaporation to help cool the motor at speed.

Car runs absolutely fine both in temp and what not at normal highway speeds. However, if you put your foot down, that temp need will rise.

I am going to reach out to ESS to see if they have any ideas on how to control the temps. If anybody else has ANY other ideas I would appreciate it.

Last edited by GrendelsbaneM3; Sat, Sep-22-2018 at 08:26:18 AM.
Old Sun, Sep-30-2018, 09:40:37 PM   #8
inferno493

United States

I'm having the same issue running a Dinan kit with vortech supercharger and the associated intercooler and other goodies dinan stuffed in there. If the temperatures get north of 85 or 90 I have to turn off the AC and even then when I go to work over a big hill (blasting the heater) at high altitude (about 9000 feet) I barely make it over the top before hitting red on the coolant. Oil temps stay about 210. I was considering what my options might be, but your situation makes me less than hopeful. Especially seeing as I figured a vented hood would make a drastic improvement.
Jump to top inferno493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-01-2018, 12:08:53 AM   #9
CSLM3Wannabi

In the garage:

United States

Weird. I have the ESS 550 with stock cooling system, aux fan removed, and fan clutch replaced with stock 330i fan. Dead middle, sometimes just under.
2005 BMW M3 ZCP TiAg | ESS VT2-550 | Dinan Throttle Bodies | 6MT Swap | Active Autowerkes Headers + Section 1 w/ 100 cells | Miltek Section 2 and 3 | KW V2 w/ GC camber plates and Eibach Front and Rear Swaybars | Porsche 996 BBK upgrade w/ OEM ZCP rotors | Umnitza V4 Angel Eyes | CSL rep Bumper | SCZA Carbon Fiber CSL Trunk | Carbon Fiber CSL Diffuser | Square ZCP Wheels |
Jump to top CSLM3Wannabi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-02-2018, 04:50:00 PM   #10
inferno493

United States

Interesting. I wonder if it could be something as simple as bleeding the cooling system? My oil temps are much more stable and never experience the temperature increases that my coolant does.
Jump to top inferno493 is offline   Reply With Quote