BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Sat, Jul-21-2018, 06:24:18 PM   #11
SQ13

United States

Default Re: SQ13ís 1999 E36 M3 Resuscitation Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrftKingIII View Post
Fellow Houstonite, hello! I feel you on it being too damn hot to work on anything. I've seriously considered one of those $500 portable air conditioning units to help me speed up the progress on my car, it's just so miserable in the garage whenever I do have free time.

Also, definitely feel you on being surrounded by idiots. Drivers here seem to have zero awareness for anyone but themselves.

Hope to bump into you at MSR or the likes sooner than later!

Howdy. I just spent three days detailing the car, and it SUCKED. I read that those AC units like to use a lot of energy, so it wouldnít be cost effective to me.

I still need to buy a dash cam for the E36. Very glad that I won the insurance case. Itís also nice having agreed value collector car insurance now.

Will be at MSRH on August 10 with Driven x Blessed.

Some more updates...

Depo headlights with FXR projector retrofit. The Depo housings are shit..poor fitment and cheap plastic that likes to break. I still need to wire them so that I can use the projector high beams when the headlights are on.

Discovered this wonderful leak after refueling. There is a crack that I canít see at the base of the square piece.

Prepping for paint

Done

The GT wing is a piece of shit. Very wavy, and some nutserts backed out (idk what you call them). At least thereís no sag? My guy is going to try to smooth it out then repaint it.

I think the wing is a bit too big for my taste. Gonna try to give it some time.

I decided I wanted to start detailing cars. So, $450 later, I have what I need to wash and detail my cars properly. Lost my car wash stuff after the flooding, so I had to start over from scratch and did it right this time.

ONR rinseless wash

Tape

Before

After compound

After polish and sealant

Old Sat, Jul-21-2018, 07:25:44 PM   #12
Kwakjoe

In the garage:

United States

Wow looks great! I don't think I'd have the patience for detailing, but the aftermath looks so satisfying.
Old Sun, Jul-22-2018, 01:07:02 AM   #13
SQ13

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwakjoe View Post
Wow looks great! I don't think I'd have the patience for detailing, but the aftermath looks so satisfying.

It wouldn’t have been too bad if it wasn’t hot. Shade and multiple fans have no chance against Texas heat.

I got the high beams working today. I set it up so that the H1 bulbs work as highs when low beams are off, and both H1 and HID bulbs work as highs when low beams are on. For some reason, the right H1 bulb keeps blowing a fuse. Left bulb doesn’t do it. Maybe I got counterfeit bulbs?

Then I cleaned up the black trim, then applied 303 Protectant. Looks much better, but I have no idea how long it’ll last. Might end up painting or buying new trim.

Old Mon, Jul-23-2018, 03:32:54 AM   #14
Genes1s

United States

mind sharing what tools, supplies, setup you used to achieve that detail?

Thanks
1997 Arctic Silver E36 M3/4/5.
1997 Techno Violet E36 M3/2/5. Sold
Jump to top Genes1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-23-2018, 09:01:35 PM   #15
SQ13

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genes1s View Post
mind sharing what tools, supplies, setup you used to achieve that detail?

Thanks

Happy to share. Pictures below show complete list of what I’ve purchased. I have 51 new microfiber towels, either purchased or free. All are different and have different purposes.

Presoak car with water using a Home Depot pressure sprayer. Clean wheels with Meguiar’s D101 All Purpose Cleaner. I also have Sonax wheel cleaner but did not use it. Wash with one bucket using MF wash mitt and Optimum No Rinse. MF waffle weave towel to dry after cleaning a panel or two. I also have Meg’s 110 pH neutral soap for two bucket washes.

Clay using Nanoskin fine grade sponge and Nanoskin glide lubricant diluted 7:1. Dry using a MF towel.

Next is paint correction stage. Griot’s Garage 6” DA polisher with 5” Lake Country backing plate. Used Lake Country 5.5” flat, foam pads — orange light cutting/compounding pad, white heavy polishing pad, and black finishing pad (for sealants and waxes).

Products used were Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound, Meg’s M205 polish, and Meg’s M21 sealant. I got the ultimate compound bc I read it doesn’t dust a lot...that was bullshit, so I’m going to buy M105 compound once I run out of the ultimate compound. M205 is a good polish. Sometimes it dries out, so I spray a mist of water on the paint and keep going (Kevin Brown method). M21 is easy to apply and buff off. Don’t know how long it will last. I would apply Meg’s M156 spray wax to finish it off, but I didn’t think to purchase it. You can use it on both the exterior and interior. Will buy from Autogeek/Autopia when another 25% off + free shipping sale goes live again.

I would say 3–5 pads of each color are needed per car, except for black pads. One black pad can do the whole car, so I have one sealant pad and one wax pad, as well as two backups.

I have a cheap pad brush that I use to remove compound and polish residue off the pad after doing a 2x2 section. Poorboys Tornado pad cleaner diluted in water after I’m done detailing the car; let the pads soak in it for a few hours then rinse off. Air dry the pads to complete the pad cleaning cycle.

You need several spray bottles. I have one with ONR rinseless wash dilution, ONR quick detail dilution, APC 10:1, Nanoskin Glide clay lube 7:1, 10% isopropyl alcohol (IPA), one with just tap water. Can’t remember what else I have.

Before I touched the cars, I watched many YouTube videos and read many articles so that I can wash and detail the cars properly.

Collection of MF towels

Products I want to try. The ones in green, yellow, or red have already been purchased or will be purchased soon.

Last edited by SQ13; Tue, Jul-24-2018 at 06:57:29 AM.
Jump to top SQ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-23-2018, 09:52:15 PM   #16
fattycharged
can't even

In the garage:

Zimbabwe

how long to do the rear 1/4 trim, i need to address it on mine along with the door handle trim
Old Tue, Jul-24-2018, 12:45:34 AM   #17
SQ13

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattycharged View Post
how long to do the rear 1/4 trim, i need to address it on mine along with the door handle trim
The vent window trim? Probably two hours for both sides?
Old Mon, Aug-13-2018, 04:02:51 PM   #18
SQ13

United States

The patient has been resuscitated.

The repair phase is complete. I think Iíll name them...Yin and Yang

The E46 will remain in storage until I repair the broken sway bar mount and figure out what track coilovers Iíll go with. So probably until December

The E36 looks so badass in this photo

Old Mon, Aug-13-2018, 06:13:46 PM   #19
Texaz3

United States

Outstanding result.
Jump to top Texaz3 is online now   Reply With Quote