BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013) {Engine: S65 - Max Hp: 414 hp (420 hp Euro) at 8,300 rpm / 295 lb/ft at 3,900 rpm}

Old Tue, Nov-20-2018, 01:19:33 AM   #1
Impastokitsch

United States

Default Rod bearing - preventive maintenance?

I know this has been largely discussed. Researches over past few weeks just made me more confused.

My e93 is about 56k Km (not miles) now. Im thinking of sending oil for analysis before deciding to do preventive rod bearing job.

Now towards end of 2018, can i see any owners here survived with no rod bearing swop?

My e93 is made in 2008. Only drive them on weekends. Warmed up for 5min n move off slowly and low rpm drive til properly warmed up ( when oil level reading is up)

I dun track my car but do some street spirited driving or highway runs...

Any recommended rod bearing to replace? Should i go OE (i assumed they superseded a better version?) or aftermarket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top Impastokitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Nov-25-2018, 06:56:31 PM   #2
HofmeisterKinky
See what I did there?

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Rod bearing - preventive maintenance?

So I'm not the most experienced person here WRT rod bearings, by far. But I do know a thing or two about oil and oil analysis, and have been digging into the rod bearing issue myself as a new E90M owner.

Oil analysis is a mixed bag. If you get crazy high lead/copper numbers, you can assume your rod bearings (and/or some other bearings) need to be replaced. But if your lead/copper numbers are low, that doesn't necessarily mean all is well. To really figure it out with oil analysis, you need a trend: many oil analyses in a row, with samples taken in the middle as well as at the end of each oil change interval. Not easy. Then you look at the numbers over time and take action only when they are clearly rising.

If you're trying to figure out whether to have the rod bearings done, try to figure out how long you want to keep the car. E.g., I bought my car with 80k miles on the clock, and as of now I plan to keep it until at least 150k or so. I figure it'll need rod bearings at least once by then, so now is as good a time as any. You have less than half the miles on your car; if you plan to hold on to it until twice its current mileage, you should probably plan to have the rod bearings done -- though you shouldn't need to have them done right now, or even soon.

I'd say this is a good time to start doing oil analysis and build up a history. If the numbers start fluctuating, that's when you should plan to take action. At that time, you can decide which rod bearings to get based on the info that's available at that time (more history is always better).

Last edited by HofmeisterKinky; Sun, Nov-25-2018 at 07:05:28 PM.
Jump to top HofmeisterKinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Nov-26-2018, 01:22:12 AM   #3
Impastokitsch

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by HofmeisterKinky View Post
So I'm not the most experienced person here WRT rod bearings, by far. But I do know a thing or two about oil and oil analysis, and have been digging into the rod bearing issue myself as a new E90M owner.

Oil analysis is a mixed bag. If you get crazy high lead/copper numbers, you can assume your rod bearings (and/or some other bearings) need to be replaced. But if your lead/copper numbers are low, that doesn't necessarily mean all is well. To really figure it out with oil analysis, you need a trend: many oil analyses in a row, with samples taken in the middle as well as at the end of each oil change interval. Not easy. Then you look at the numbers over time and take action only when they are clearly rising.

If you're trying to figure out whether to have the rod bearings done, try to figure out how long you want to keep the car. E.g., I bought my car with 80k miles on the clock, and as of now I plan to keep it until at least 150k or so. I figure it'll need rod bearings at least once by then, so now is as good a time as any. You have less than half the miles on your car; if you plan to hold on to it until twice its current mileage, you should probably plan to have the rod bearings done -- though you shouldn't need to have them done right now, or even soon.

I'd say this is a good time to start doing oil analysis and build up a history. If the numbers start fluctuating, that's when you should plan to take action. At that time, you can decide which rod bearings to get based on the info that's available at that time (more history is always better).
Hi thanks for your reply and inputs.

I have ordered BE bearing yesterday from Auto Talent (online).

I did not order the Bolt nor ARP bolt though. My mechanics told me to reuse back the stock Bolts. - any comments guys?

I will do the replacement for a peace of mind and do oil analysis in my next oil change (after the CRB replacement).

stay tuned for pictures of my 2008 E93 - 56k KM (not miles) Rod Bearings.
Old Mon, Nov-26-2018, 02:09:35 AM   #4
ColinGreene

United States

Far as i know do not re use the factory rod bolts, buy new ones.
Jump to top ColinGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Nov-26-2018, 12:52:47 PM   #5
nrubenstein

DO NOT REUSE THE STOCK BOLTS. New stock bolts are fine.

And take it to a shop that knows what they are doing for this. Your mechanic can't be trusted with the job.
1999 323i KP/GTS2 Alpinweiß - Hood-in-the-windshield mod
1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black - S50B32/S6S420G, Diffsonline 3.91, H&R/Bilstein, Hotchkis, AS SSK, etc...
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan - GC/Bilstein, Sway
1989 325is Alpinweiß/Black - Decontenting...
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black - S62B50 in progress...

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black - UMW LTW Flywheel, Bilstein
Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamondschwartz/Black 5spd - Korman lengthened front driveshaft, 272 cam, H&R/Bilstein

Jump to top nrubenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Nov-26-2018, 02:21:09 PM   #6
S54VAGE

United States

I'm no expert but evolve just released a video on youtube with some helpful insight. It seems pre-lci 08-10 is more of an issue.. along with over-reving before the oil gets up in temp..

vid:

Hope that helps
Old Mon, Nov-26-2018, 05:11:24 PM   #7
Impastokitsch

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by S54VAGE View Post
I'm no expert but evolve just released a video on youtube with some helpful insight. It seems pre-lci 08-10 is more of an issue.. along with over-reving before the oil gets up in temp..

vid:
https://youtu.be/RUzwmryKu9A

Hope that helps

After extensive research, i will goes with the theory that new revised crb are not a solution and will cause more damages if they fail due to harder material. So i will go for BE bearing and had ordered.

Old Mon, Nov-26-2018, 05:12:50 PM   #8
Impastokitsch

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrubenstein View Post
DO NOT REUSE THE STOCK BOLTS. New stock bolts are fine.

And take it to a shop that knows what they are doing for this. Your mechanic can't be trusted with the job.

Yes i ordered BE bolts too few minutes ago from Auto Talent.

Unfortunately be bearing has no stocks now. They want me to wait for 2 weeks.

Hopefully my engine can wait. Its 56k km now. Ex owner may have abused it but no track yet.

Old Tue, Dec-04-2018, 07:10:07 AM   #9
Impastokitsch

United States

Well... wonder if i can still wait for the arrival of the bearings

Old Tue, Dec-04-2018, 07:59:33 PM   #10
HofmeisterKinky
See what I did there?

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impastokitsch View Post
Yes i ordered BE bolts too few minutes ago from Auto Talent.
Aren't the BE bolts not as strong as stock? Was advised that by a competent builder. FYI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impastokitsch View Post
Well... wonder if i can still wait for the arrival of the bearings
I think you're way, way too worried about this. Even if your bearings are worn, 99.9% chance they're not so bad that your engine will grenade tomorrow.