BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Fri, Jul-10-2009, 05:39:01 PM   #1
ccsykes
The Green Machine

United States

Default My 2002 M3 Performance Project Car

Hey guys new to the forum, introduction here New From Houston

I just bought a 2002 M3 Convertible, Black with Cinnamon interior. Car has 80K miles and is in great shape. My plans are over the next 12-18 months to transform the car into a forced induction street terror. Turbo charged or super charged will eventually depend on available budget.

I plan on using this thread to keep a historical record of how things progress. I look forward to comments and advice.

Current happenings..

I currently have a Cat back Borla exhaust, TMS Pulleys, aFe Stage II CAI and Shark Injector on order and expect them to arrive in a week or so.

I also purchased a set of Ebay headers after doing research on several forums. I will be taking them to Polymer Dynamics here locally in Houston to have them ceramic coated (Polydyn, similar to Jet hot.) before installing.

These mods should at least give me my performance fix while I save up for the next phase, suspension.

Current Planned Steps.

Basic Performance Bolt ons (Check)
Suspension Mods (Check)
Cosmetic Upgrades, rims, tires.
Locate used S54 Engine, Fully build motor for forced induction, port polish, cams etc..
Forced Induction. Whether I go with HPF stage 1 turbo, or a supercharger kit will depend on available budget.

I plan to do some Dyno pulls in between stages and frequent local BMW events etc..

I will be posting pictures and videos as things progress.

Last edited by ccsykes; Sat, Sep-19-2009 at 06:02:59 PM.
Jump to top ccsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Jul-10-2009, 05:43:18 PM   #2
Nautik

United States

Good luck with the project! Definitely interested in any DYNO pulls with your NA mods before you put forced induction on it.

Question though, what made you go with a convertible?
Jump to top Nautik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-10-2009, 06:08:03 PM   #3
ccsykes
The Green Machine

United States

Because everyone else does a coupe?

I'll be happy with the ability to turn low 12's, and be able to cruise the hill country in west Texas, or the piney woods of east Texas with the top down in the fall..

I'm sure at some point.. the speed addiction will will cause me to transplant everything into a coupe.. but for now a convertible suits my intended purposes.
Old Fri, Jul-10-2009, 06:22:44 PM   #4
finger123
Boosted User

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsykes View Post
Because everyone else does a coupe?

I'll be happy with the ability to turn low 12's, and be able to cruise the hill country in west Texas, or the piney woods of east Texas with the top down in the fall..

I'm sure at some point.. the speed addiction will will cause me to transplant everything into a coupe.. but for now a convertible suits my intended purposes.
gonna be hard for you to run low 12's with bolt ons only. either go force induction and save those monies you are spending on the bolt ons because some of them will become useless if you decide to go FI later on. OR you can build your motor up with higher compression and go all motor. then you can run 12's.

Garage Queen LSB 2001 M3 | VF Engineering Stg 1 | Black out package | Depo Smoke corners | LED smoked Tail lights | UUC short Shifter | UUC RK5 shift knob | Vorsteiner V-CSL Vented Race Hood | CF windshield washer grill | H&R Springs | HRE C21, black center with custom LSB colored Lip | BSW Stg 1 Speakers | BSW Dual 10" Sub setup
Jump to top finger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-10-2009, 06:25:19 PM   #5
SethMcM3
Banned

United States

Car sounds nice, show us pics as you build it up!!
Jump to top SethMcM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-10-2009, 06:34:39 PM   #6
newtonm3

there was a beautiful conv with the HPF kit for sale on this forum. it sounds like exactly what you want in the ned. even the same colors.

good luck with your project. it is always worth it
Jump to top newtonm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-10-2009, 06:52:40 PM   #7
ccsykes
The Green Machine

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by finger123 View Post
gonna be hard for you to run low 12's with bolt ons only. either go force induction and save those monies you are spending on the bolt ons because some of them will become useless if you decide to go FI later on. OR you can build your motor up with higher compression and go all motor. then you can run 12's.
Oh I know, that's why I'm planning on picking up a used S54 engine to build out. At some point the convertible simply won't be feasible. When that day comes I'll start hunting for a rolling chassis coupe to transplant everything into and put the vert back to where it is right now. I'm sure as the years go by, finding a cheap coupe chassis won't be a big deal.

The parts I buy now won't go to waste as they can be used on the vert should I decide to build a full blown coupe. I know I will have limitations with the vert due to structural and weight differences. I make my living as an investor, so I do tend to look at things with a long term plan in order to be efficient with capital. Nothing will be wasted that I can foresee. Some items may get put in storage for a bit.. but I will get my money out of them. That is one of the reasons I am going with Ebay headers. Those are pretty disposable in the grand scheme of things.
Old Fri, Jul-10-2009, 11:20:21 PM   #8
ccsykes
The Green Machine

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethMcM3 View Post
Car sounds nice, show us pics as you build it up!!
Here are some pics without any mods..

Old Sat, Jul-11-2009, 12:28:51 AM   #9
babydevilj
Sperm Dispenser

United States

Stock is in. Don't touch it!!
Old Sat, Jul-11-2009, 11:53:08 AM   #10
Craig!

United Kingdom

Sound's like a good project to me, keep the pictures rolling.