BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Jan-02-2008, 11:53:14 PM   #11
m3 hal

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpfine View Post
Good advice, thanks. Was about to go out and try that. It just didn't seem right that I'd be connecting two BMW's using the front posts only.

Called the dealer and it looks like the battery is covered under warranty. I wanted to trickle charge this thing on my own before bringing it in on Saturday, but am having such a hard time removing that plastic cover. I've taken out the two screws, pushed the inside edge up 45 degrees, and it STILL won't come loose with quite a bit of force. It sounds like it pretty much slides out for everyone else. Wonder what's wrong with mine.
Nah it doesn't slide out easily. Try removing your taillight cover (unplug the electrical connector, then unclip the backing) and then pulling the carpet up off the plastic battery cover. Then yank that bish out
Jump to top m3 hal is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jan-03-2008, 11:59:30 PM   #12
djpfine

Quote:
Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
Jumping it from the battery is exactly what you don't want to do. BMW put a jump post under the hood for a reason - the reason is - the long wire run from the battery up to the front of the car and the starter drops the voltage. When the voltage is marginal already (like when jump starting the car) - this can be enough to cause trouble.
Had another thought about this...what if I jump started my car using the engine bay terminals in the M3, but directly connecting to the rear battery of the working E90? I'm thinking that perhaps using the engine bay convenience poles in both cars wouldn't send enough power to get my M3 jumped.
Jump to top djpfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-16-2009, 05:28:40 PM   #13
tonggi
Tonggi Tuning, LLC

Philippines

ive having somewhat of a similiar issue
car is cranking but wont turn over.

Want to buy your High Mileage Car!
Jump to top tonggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-16-2009, 06:38:14 PM   #14
.333 snubnose

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpfine View Post
...but am having such a hard time removing that plastic cover. I've taken out the two screws, pushed the inside edge up 45 degrees, and it STILL won't come loose with quite a bit of force. .
the plastic tray is tucked under the carpet floor AND the side panel. Once you remove the plastic screws, lift the left side up (screw side) which should release the right side from under the wall panel.
Once you get to the battery and remove the mounting strap...
1. disconnect NEGATIVE TERMINAL FIRST (tuck out of the way where it won't make any contact to metal)
2. remove positive terminal
3. dont forget to disconnect the vent hose.
Jump to top .333 snubnose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-16-2009, 07:39:37 PM   #15
yanksfan e46

United States

same thing happened to me a while ago... i left my car for about a week or so and the car wouldnt start... i tried jumping it and no go.. i called my AAA and they came out and jumped it for me... BMW dealership didnt know what was wrong and ASSUMED that i left my interior lights on and charged me for a new battery... after about a week or so, iot happened again after leaving the car for 3 days... went to a different dealership and they told me my alternator was dead... replaced alternator and battery for free and gave me a rebate on my battery that the other dealership charged me... SO ANYWAY check the alternator...

mods-,Volk/Koni/Eibach/Stoptech/Beison/Recaro/InvisiLite/ Lamin-x/TTFS/AKG/CSL Diffuser/Custom Painted Trim/LED kit ///M pedals/Custom steering Wheel/DDM/DICE/EAS...

OEM STUFF,OEM 18s powdercoated Matte BLK/contenential DWS for sale!! PM ME!!
Jump to top yanksfan e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-30-2015, 05:17:15 PM   #16
Stage3Rides

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Car won't jump start

Bumping this thread because the solution to the issue was never posted. I have the EXACT same symptoms as the OP, however my car only sat overnight. I didn't have much time this morning before work to check everything mentioned other than trying to jump it for about 10 minutes with no luck. I will test battery voltage tonight after work and try jumping for longer in case the battery is extremely low.

Does anyone know if only a low battery is the cause of these symptoms? What could have caused my battery to die overnight when I've never had an issue at all in the past?

Also, the PO of my car replaced the battery about 20k miles ago, but I think with some cheaper brand. TIA!

2003.5 IR E46 M3
| Apex ARC-8s | Dinan CAI | TTFS Tune | AS 20% SSK | CPI Stepped Headers | AR20'd OEM Section 1 | SGT SCZA Section 3 | TMS Power Pulleys | AFE Intake Elbow |
| SGT CF CSL Trunk Lid | SGT Rear Diffuser | K-Sport Coilovers | ZCP Shift Knob | TMS Subframe Kit | BW Motor Mounts | RE Tranny Mounts | Avin Avant 2 |
Jump to top Stage3Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-30-2015, 05:23:07 PM   #17
straight six m3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage3Rides View Post
Bumping this thread because the solution to the issue was never posted. I have the EXACT same symptoms as the OP, however my car only sat overnight. I didn't have much time this morning before work to check everything mentioned other than trying to jump it for about 10 minutes with no luck. I will test battery voltage tonight after work and try jumping for longer in case the battery is extremely low.

Does anyone know if only a low battery is the cause of these symptoms? What could have caused my battery to die overnight when I've never had an issue at all in the past?

Also, the PO of my car replaced the battery about 20k miles ago, but I think with some cheaper brand. TIA!
Try push starting it? Or replace the battery and see if that fixes it.
Old Thu, Jul-30-2015, 06:03:36 PM   #18
qualicas

In the garage:

Canada

This sounds like bad connections. I fixed a friends car about a week ago. Check battery voltage first. Remove both battery cables (neg first) and clean the battery post and inside of cables connector. Also make sure the neg cable is clean where it bolts to the frame.
Then reconnect, pos first neg last.
Jump to top qualicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Aug-01-2015, 12:51:38 AM   #19
Stage3Rides

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualicas View Post
This sounds like bad connections. I fixed a friends car about a week ago. Check battery voltage first. Remove both battery cables (neg first) and clean the battery post and inside of cables connector. Also make sure the neg cable is clean where it bolts to the frame.
Then reconnect, pos first neg last.
Nailed it. There must have been a grain of salt between the negative battery terminal or something. I touched it today to remove it and the trunk lights came on. Got in the car and it started right up! Really weird and kinda embarrassing that I elevated it to this level, but happy for the free fix!

2003.5 IR E46 M3
| Apex ARC-8s | Dinan CAI | TTFS Tune | AS 20% SSK | CPI Stepped Headers | AR20'd OEM Section 1 | SGT SCZA Section 3 | TMS Power Pulleys | AFE Intake Elbow |
| SGT CF CSL Trunk Lid | SGT Rear Diffuser | K-Sport Coilovers | ZCP Shift Knob | TMS Subframe Kit | BW Motor Mounts | RE Tranny Mounts | Avin Avant 2 |
Jump to top Stage3Rides is offline   Reply With Quote