BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Thu, Aug-15-2019, 09:51:46 PM   #11
propcar

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: ► APEX Forged Wheels ARC-8R & EC-7R

The EC7R in polished does look really good.
Old Fri, Aug-16-2019, 10:57:12 AM   #12
omairtheman1

United States

Pledged for a set in my E90 M3. Apex 18x10 all around!!! Yayyy thank god I didn’t pull the trigger earlier. FYI, to those who are interested, with the $400 discount and free shipping, it ends up being about 80 bucks more a wheel for me. Well worth it!
Jump to top omairtheman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Aug-16-2019, 11:29:49 PM   #13
ApexRaceParts
M3Forum Sponsor

United States

Thank you all for the kind words and support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate047 View Post
Nice. Finally lol.

What's the country of manufacture?

When are you going to announce final pricing?

I wish the designs had been original, or at least newly rehashed. I "get it" and I'm sure you'll sell as many as you can make. But I see a bit of missed opportunity here, aesthetically.
Great questions. The short answer is our flow formed and forged wheels are manufactured in China. Our long answer is as follows.

Quality control standards and getting 3rd party verification testing done is crucial to holding any overseas manufacturer to a high standard. In addition to the crush testing and impact testing that gets done by the factory, we also work with the VIA in Japan to validate the results of those tests. That means retesting wheels through all three tests (bending, impact, radial) in Japan by an impartial 3rd party to ensure our supplier's results are valid. It's a costly service, but ensures quality. Most companies don't get VIA certified/registered because it is voluntary. It's the companies that take short cuts with their products that give imported products a bad rap. iPhone production in China is always a good example of proper oversight resulting in a high-quality product from overseas.

The biggest fear people seem to have with parts that come from overseas is if they're poorly made or not. The VIA's independent verification ensures that the strength is there, and our well documented 12-year reputation will show our QC is on point. At our volumes there are always exceptions and our customer service goes above and beyond whenever a problem does manage to arise.

Regarding retail non-group buy pricing, currently the only way is to configure a set on the group buy and divide the quoted MSRP by 4. Once the wheels are closer to being in-stock and ready to ship we'll add them to our website along with MSRP information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omairtheman1 View Post
Pledged for a set in my E90 M3. Apex 18x10 all around!!! Yayyy thank god I didn’t pull the trigger earlier. FYI, to those who are interested, with the $400 discount and free shipping, it ends up being about 80 bucks more a wheel for me. Well worth it!
We appreciate the support! We know it's been a long wait since we made the first announcement, but it's going to pay off for those who have waited!

Last edited by ApexRaceParts; Mon, Aug-26-2019 at 06:59:34 PM.
Jump to top ApexRaceParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-19-2019, 06:50:23 AM   #14
Nate047

In the garage:

United States

Thanks for clarifying. I don't see a problem with products made in China if they are held to a high standard.

I do think it's weird that you guys put BimmerWorld on blast, as they (presumably) sell a shit load of your wheels...? I'm sure there's a reason you chose to lead your marketing push with mudslinging, but where I come from that's not good business. Let the products speak for themselves.

http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
Jump to top Nate047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-22-2019, 06:30:37 PM   #15
ApexRaceParts
M3Forum Sponsor

United States

Hi Everyone,

We have recently restructured the original post to assist in bringing a bit more clarity to our new Forged wheel options. Specifically, we have now categorized and labeled the photos in the post by design and finish. We have also added a couple of studio videos featuring both the ARC-8R and the EC-7R, which should give a much better idea as to the appearance of the new designs and finishes.

Please stay tuned, as we have an abundance of new and exciting photos and videos that we plan to add to this thread in the near future.

-Geirsen
Old Thu, Aug-22-2019, 11:40:50 PM   #16
pat533i

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexRaceParts View Post
Thank you all for the kind words and support!

Great questions. The short answer is our flow-formed wheels are manufactured in China. Our long answer is as follows.

Where are the forged wheels manufactured?
Old Mon, Aug-26-2019, 07:00:23 PM   #17
ApexRaceParts
M3Forum Sponsor

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat533i View Post
Where are the forged wheels manufactured?
We meant to include forged wheels in the initial reply (which has now been edited). Apologies for the confusion!
Old Fri, Aug-30-2019, 11:30:43 PM   #18
ApexRaceParts
M3Forum Sponsor

United States

Hi Everyone,

We have just updated the original post with two brand new EC-7R and ARC-8R videos. These videos include new on-car footage for both wheel designs, showcasing the new wheels in various lighting conditions and angles. These videos are definitely worth a watch, especially if you have been craving to see some more content involving the new forged wheel designs.

Enjoy!

-Geirsen
Old Wed, Sep-04-2019, 08:04:13 PM   #19
ApexRaceParts
M3Forum Sponsor

United States

We have clearance, Clarence.

Our original flow formed ARC-8 was our first wheel design, and utilizes an older barrel profile that can have compromised brake clearance with certain BBK setups. With the forged ARC-8R, we took everything we learned from the original ARC-8 and applied it to the ground-up development of our all-new profiles and dies. This resulted in a tremendous increase in brake clearance when compared to the flow formed design, with an inner barrel that can clear all the way up to the colossal 380mm Brembo BBK with ease.

To learn more about the obstacles we faced when developing these zero-compromise barrel profiles and dies, along with how we worked to overcome them, please feel free to check out our blog post that dives deep into the topic of forged wheel brake clearances.
https://www.apexraceparts.com/blog/w...ar-big-brakes/

To help showcase some of the new ARC-8R features in action, our friend Kurt (@lsrteg) brought out his incredibly clean and seriously well-equipped E46 M3 for a photoshoot. Sitting on a set of 18x10” ET25 ARC-8R forged wheels finished in Brushed Clear, this E46 M3 had us picking our jaws up off the floor. Just look at how the all-new ARC-8R barrels completely dwarf the massive 355mm Stoptech calipers!

If you would like to read more about Kurt’s E46 M3, please feel free to check out our blog feature on his car, complete with a full build breakdown.

https://www.apexraceparts.com/blog/b...forged-wheels/

-Geirsen
Old Fri, Sep-13-2019, 08:58:31 PM   #20
ApexRaceParts
M3Forum Sponsor

United States

Tires are only as effective as the wheels they are mounted on.

You can buy the stickiest tire on the market, but if the grip level exceeds that of the tire’s bead, you’ll end up with a tire that slips around the wheel. Under hard braking and acceleration, this slippage can cause unwanted wheel rotation within the tire. This rotation can upset the tire’s overall balance, as the wheel weights have shifted from their original position. For those who have to drive home from the track and commute to work the next day, a vibration or wobble through the steering wheel could potentially be felt due to this imbalance. In a situation such as this, the affected wheels and tires would require rebalancing to fix the issue.

At APEX, we are at the track and on the forums, placing ourselves at the center of discussion for topics such as these. While wheel knurling isn’t a new and groundbreaking concept, we saw an opportunity to improve upon it from our previous designs, in a way that best supports the constantly growing demand for more grip. Some wheel manufacturers add knurling simply to include it in their list of “features”. However, it is clear this “feature” can be lacking in performance when the knurled edges are smoothed over by a layer of slick glossy paint, effectively reducing the functionality of the knurling.

For our new ARC-8R and EC-7R wheels, we wanted to focus on reducing unwanted tire slippage as much as we could. The knurling pattern on these new forged wheels is specifically designed to maintain the highest amount of grip we could achieve with the bead of the tire. On top of that, we ensured that the knurled edge of the wheel is completely protected during the painting process. This leaves us with a sharp and deep toothed knurling, that isn’t compromised by the manufacturing process in any way whatsoever.

-Geirsen