BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Aug-14-2019, 10:32:53 PM   #51
stash1

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: JRZ Install Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 dude View Post
hi mate,

i think half your problem is that next to your main spring, looks like you're rocking a tender spring.
tenders typically have a noticeable spring rate, while a helper can get compressed by hand.

so i'd bet the tender isnt fully compressing.

to confirm, fit up, drop the car, turn the wheel all way to left or right and inspect
Yep, somebody else noticed that too, and it may be a contributing factor as well...looking into it! Thank you for the observation!
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Aug-15-2019, 01:47:36 PM   #52
stash1

In the garage:

United States

Soooo, posting this update as an FYI: After checking part numbers, can confirm that the Eibach ‘helper’ springs that came w/the kit are indeed ‘tender’ springs. This is absotively part of my ride height issue! As mentioned, helper springs will more or less collapse completely under the weight of the vehicle, and I assume that they are there just to maintain preload and reduce noise under unloading conditions. Whereas the tenders actually carry a load rating and help to share the load. I will prolly still move to lower rated springs in the near future, but this should resolve the ride height issue anyway. Hope this helps someone else in the future! Cheers!

Last edited by stash1; Thu, Aug-15-2019 at 02:01:32 PM.
Jump to top stash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-15-2019, 03:33:10 PM   #53
grke36m3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash1 View Post
Soooo, posting this update as an FYI: After checking part numbers, can confirm that the Eibach ‘helper’ springs that came w/the kit are indeed ‘tender’ springs. This is absotively part of my ride height issue! As mentioned, helper springs will more or less collapse completely under the weight of the vehicle, and I assume that they are there just to maintain preload and reduce noise under unloading conditions. Whereas the tenders actually carry a load rating and help to share the load. I will prolly still move to lower rated springs in the near future, but this should resolve the ride height issue anyway. Hope this helps someone else in the future! Cheers!

So are you buying helpers or just getting rid of the tenders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Jump to top grke36m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-15-2019, 03:55:40 PM   #54
stash1

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by grke36m3 View Post
So are you buying helpers or just getting rid of the tenders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yep, I have a set of ‘helpers’ on the way! I like the idea of the helpers keeping the assembly in a preloaded state...should def help to eliminate or at least minimize ‘pops’ if the suspension was to become unloaded for any reason.
Old Thu, Aug-15-2019, 05:50:37 PM   #55
eacmen

In the garage:

United States

So that helper spring looked like the same one that Apex sent out to their group buy participants. Apex initially claimed the helper wasn't needed but JRZ changed their damper design and the 6 inch springs were bottoming out.

On my car the helper spring fully compresses. I can't compress it by hand tho.
2001 E46 M3, Tilton Triple Disc Clutch, JRZ RS2 (750/650), ST-40 332mm front BBK, BW TA16 Square 18x9.5, RE-71R 265/35R19, Redish Motorsport Plates, Mason X-Brace, Mason Front Strut Bar, RaceCapture Pro MK3 w/custom Raspberry Pi Dash.
Jump to top eacmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-15-2019, 09:29:45 PM   #56
M3 dude

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacmen View Post
So that helper spring looked like the same one that Apex sent out to their group buy participants. Apex initially claimed the helper wasn't needed but JRZ changed their damper design and the 6 inch springs were bottoming out.

by design the tenders should still compress fully when loaded, but have a noticeable spring rate. this is to do with rebound tuning (the details of which i have no idea).
Jump to top M3 dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-15-2019, 11:04:50 PM   #57
stash1

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacmen View Post
Yep, I just verified that the tender springs do pretty much fully compress as well on my set up, but the helpers will be about 1/2 as low again when they’re fully compressed...which should get me the additional lowering capability I need/hope.

Last edited by stash1; Fri, Aug-16-2019 at 01:44:11 PM.
Jump to top stash1 is offline   Reply With Quote