BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Wed, Aug-14-2019, 10:32:53 PM   #51
stash1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,260
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 stash1 is on a distinguished road
Location: Woodstock, MD.

United States




Default Re: JRZ Install Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 dude View Post
hi mate,

i think half your problem is that next to your main spring, looks like you're rocking a tender spring.
tenders typically have a noticeable spring rate, while a helper can get compressed by hand.

so i'd bet the tender isnt fully compressing.

to confirm, fit up, drop the car, turn the wheel all way to left or right and inspect
Yep, somebody else noticed that too, and it may be a contributing factor as well...looking into it! Thank you for the observation!
__________________
'04 AW/IR...some mods
Jump to top stash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Aug-15-2019, 01:47:36 PM   #52
stash1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,260
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 stash1 is on a distinguished road
Location: Woodstock, MD.

United States




Default Re: JRZ Install Help

Soooo, posting this update as an FYI: After checking part numbers, can confirm that the Eibach ‘helper’ springs that came w/the kit are indeed ‘tender’ springs. This is absotively part of my ride height issue! As mentioned, helper springs will more or less collapse completely under the weight of the vehicle, and I assume that they are there just to maintain preload and reduce noise under unloading conditions. Whereas the tenders actually carry a load rating and help to share the load. I will prolly still move to lower rated springs in the near future, but this should resolve the ride height issue anyway. Hope this helps someone else in the future! Cheers!
__________________
'04 AW/IR...some mods

Last edited by stash1; Thu, Aug-15-2019 at 02:01:32 PM.
Jump to top stash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-15-2019, 03:33:10 PM   #53
grke36m3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 680
Reputation: 0 grke36m3 is on a distinguished road
Location: Philly

United States




Default Re: JRZ Install Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash1 View Post
Soooo, posting this update as an FYI: After checking part numbers, can confirm that the Eibach ‘helper’ springs that came w/the kit are indeed ‘tender’ springs. This is absotively part of my ride height issue! As mentioned, helper springs will more or less collapse completely under the weight of the vehicle, and I assume that they are there just to maintain preload and reduce noise under unloading conditions. Whereas the tenders actually carry a load rating and help to share the load. I will prolly still move to lower rated springs in the near future, but this should resolve the ride height issue anyway. Hope this helps someone else in the future! Cheers!


So are you buying helpers or just getting rid of the tenders?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Jump to top grke36m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-15-2019, 03:55:40 PM   #54
stash1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,260
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 stash1 is on a distinguished road
Location: Woodstock, MD.

United States




Default Re: JRZ Install Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by grke36m3 View Post
So are you buying helpers or just getting rid of the tenders?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yep, I have a set of ‘helpers’ on the way! I like the idea of the helpers keeping the assembly in a preloaded state...should def help to eliminate or at least minimize ‘pops’ if the suspension was to become unloaded for any reason.
__________________
'04 AW/IR...some mods
Jump to top stash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-15-2019, 05:50:37 PM   #55
eacmen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 508
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 eacmen is on a distinguished road
Location: Baltimore

United States




Default Re: JRZ Install Help

So that helper spring looked like the same one that Apex sent out to their group buy participants. Apex initially claimed the helper wasn't needed but JRZ changed their damper design and the 6 inch springs were bottoming out.

On my car the helper spring fully compresses. I can't compress it by hand tho.
__________________
2001 E46 M3, Tilton Triple Disc Clutch, JRZ RS2 (750/650), ST-40 332mm front BBK, BW TA16 Square 18x9.5, RE-71R 265/35R19, Redish Motorsport Plates, Mason X-Brace, Mason Front Strut Bar, RaceCapture Pro MK3 w/custom Raspberry Pi Dash.
Jump to top eacmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-15-2019, 09:29:45 PM   #56
M3 dude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 489
Reputation: 0 M3 dude is on a distinguished road

Australia




Default Re: JRZ Install Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacmen View Post
So that helper spring looked like the same one that Apex sent out to their group buy participants. Apex initially claimed the helper wasn't needed but JRZ changed their damper design and the 6 inch springs were bottoming out.

On my car the helper spring fully compresses. I can't compress it by hand tho.
by design the tenders should still compress fully when loaded, but have a noticeable spring rate. this is to do with rebound tuning (the details of which i have no idea).
Jump to top M3 dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-15-2019, 11:04:50 PM   #57
stash1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,260
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 stash1 is on a distinguished road
Location: Woodstock, MD.

United States




Default Re: JRZ Install Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacmen View Post
On my car the helper spring fully compresses. I can't compress it by hand tho.
Yep, I just verified that the tender springs do pretty much fully compress as well on my set up, but the helpers will be about 1/2 as low again when they’re fully compressed...which should get me the additional lowering capability I need/hope.
__________________
'04 AW/IR...some mods

Last edited by stash1; Fri, Aug-16-2019 at 01:44:11 PM.
Jump to top stash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 11:14:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright ©1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing JRZ Install Help in the E46 M3 (2001-2006) Forum - Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006. at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)