BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Dec-14-2017, 04:20:09 PM   #1
Paulo M

United States

Default USB charger stays on

Yes I’ve searched and know they do stay on even after the car is off.

I have this new flat usb charger that is flat enough to where I can close the ash tray lid. Unfortunately the blue light on the usb charger stays on and since my car isn’t a dd I don’t want to risk draining the battery (nor having to remove it after every drive since it’s so flat it’s hard to take off and just inconvenient.).

If I buy a flat USB port/charger that doesn’t have an indicator light, will it still draw power? Of course there won’t be a phone plugged into it once car is off. Or any way to get it to turn off once car is off? I’m ocd so I need the cleanest look to stay sane and I use my iPhone every drive for music/nav (no Bluetooth unfortunately). Thanks!
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Dec-14-2017, 04:22:10 PM   #2
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: USB charger stays on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
If I buy a flat USB port/charger that doesnít have an indicator light, will it still draw power? Or any way to get it to turn off once car is off? Thanks!
Yes - a small amount since regulators aren't 100% efficient. Unplugging or adding a switch are really your main options..

How long will the car sit? If it's less than a week, it might not matter compared to the parasitic draw from everything else..
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-14-2017, 04:32:07 PM   #3
Paulo M

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
Yes - a small amount since regulators aren't 100% efficient. Unplugging or adding a switch are really your main options..

How long will the car sit? If it's less than a week, it might not matter compared to the parasitic draw from everything else..
Thanks, thatís what I figured.

It really depends how long the car sits. Most of the time just a few days, other times few weeks (thatís what I like tho, worry free and not having to think about anything).

Right now I just plug and unplug, but I donít want to keep doing that since when I do use the car itís a lot (I alternate cars and leave one in a storage).
Old Thu, Dec-14-2017, 04:33:50 PM   #4
Paulo M

United States

I saw a diy to get it to stop drawing power once car is off, but pics are down and I need diy for dummies since diy is not my forte.
Old Thu, Dec-14-2017, 04:36:11 PM   #5
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whoore

In the garage:

Philippines

if the phone is not plugged in, the draw on that tiny LED is very minimal. if worried just pull it out.

Tischer aka GetBmwParts
Jump to top daytonaviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-14-2017, 04:38:18 PM   #6
Paulo M

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
if the phone is not plugged in, the draw on that tiny LED is very minimal. if worried just pull it out.
Thatís why I asked if I buy one without the led indicator light, will it still draw power?

Taking these off is a huge pita, itís so flat so I have nothing to grab onto to pull it out.
Old Thu, Dec-14-2017, 04:38:32 PM   #7
M3_Pilot

In the garage:

United States

To answer your question, yes. However it would be a very small amount of power, we're talking fractions of a watt. I'm pretty sure the car itself uses more power whilst on standby than the charger would. How much? I don't know.

2004 Jet Black/Cinnamon 6MT
@jet.m3
Jump to top M3_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-14-2017, 05:47:29 PM   #8
C///M

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Pilot View Post
To answer your question, yes. However it would be a very small amount of power, we're talking fractions of a watt. I'm pretty sure the car itself uses more power whilst on standby than the charger would. How much? I don't know.
This. But if you're storing the car all winter, then just unplug the one you have and keep it in the ashtray. That's what I do.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Jump to top C///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-14-2017, 06:11:10 PM   #9
KubinB
BMMMR

In the garage:

United States

If your car is sitting long enough for that to kill your battery, you probably want to consider using a tender... allowing the battery to drain like that over and over will result in a shorter life of the battery itself.
Old Fri, Dec-15-2017, 05:14:53 PM   #10
hlmiii

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubinB View Post
If your car is sitting long enough for that to kill your battery, you probably want to consider using a tender... allowing the battery to drain like that over and over will result in a shorter life of the battery itself.
This.

The charger by itself will NOT drain the battery in any noticeable way.

If there is any other question about battery discharge due to time get a battery tender. It will more than pay for itself over a few years worth of use.
Jump to top hlmiii is offline   Reply With Quote