BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, Apr-20-2013, 04:36:08 PM   #11
ROASTM

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Clutch Free Shifting

"Granny shifting, not double-clutching like you should."
- Vin

Last edited by ROASTM; Sat, Apr-20-2013 at 04:36:31 PM. Reason: Changed
Jump to top ROASTM is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Apr-20-2013, 04:53:06 PM   #12
Mmradix

In the garage:

United States

I drove a semi for 3 years and was trained to use the clutch for every upshift and down shift. If you did this every day in traffic your left leg would be twice the size of your right leg in one week because the clutch is stiff. After a week I learned very quickly to rev match both up shifting and down shifting. Any experience semi driver will rarely use a clutch.

I would not try it in my M but have accidentally done it in my land rover defender, I believe as flow posted it is much easier in a low revving engine.
Jump to top Mmradix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Apr-20-2013, 10:47:49 PM   #13
mpanella
I live for ///M

United States

I agree that in our cars there is no reason but I have a question for all you tranny (no pun intended) experts

Do you really need the clutch to disengage from a gear and go into neutral at speed? In otherwords going from let's say 3rd into neutral to stop at a light.
Jump to top mpanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Apr-21-2013, 02:27:22 AM   #14
OpTics

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpanella View Post
I agree that in our cars there is no reason but I have a question for all you tranny (no pun intended) experts

Do you really need the clutch to disengage from a gear and go into neutral at speed? In otherwords going from let's say 3rd into neutral to stop at a light.
You can but make sure youre RMPs are low enough to put it straight into neutral, but not too low where it will stall while youre in gear.

For instance when driving in 3rd gear and you see your rpms at ~3500ish approaching a stop, Use breaks to lower rpm to about ~2000, clutch in, neutral, neutral/ brake into the stop.

but everyone has their own preference to driving MT. You can engine brake but i assumed you dont want that included in your scenario.
Old Sun, Apr-21-2013, 07:38:34 AM   #15
M3an0ne

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpTics View Post
You can but make sure youre RMPs are low enough to put it straight into neutral, but not too low where it will stall while youre in gear.

For instance when driving in 3rd gear and you see your rpms at ~3500ish approaching a stop, Use breaks to lower rpm to about ~2000, clutch in, neutral, neutral/ brake into the stop.

but everyone has their own preference to driving MT. You can engine brake but i assumed you dont want that included in your scenario.
i noticed theres a certain timing to doing this. im starting to wonder if that might be bad for the car but it doesn't seem like it would be... what i do is give the gas pedal a slight blip while in gear with light pressure on the shift knob towards neutral.. real light though, like not enough to feel any real pressure against it. and what seems to be happening is the engine isn't slowing down the car, so for a brief moment the engine is slowing down at the same speed the wheels are after the blip. when that happens the shift knob falls into neutral like butter. anyone try anything similar? thoughts on possible damage to the car? i do it just to save some life of the throw out bearing
Jump to top M3an0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Apr-21-2013, 09:28:08 AM   #16
Flow

In the garage:

France

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpanella View Post

You don't, but I would suggest there is no load on your gearbox (accelerating or decelerating using the engine). If you give it just slightly throttle, and do not force the gear out, you'll see it is very easy, and it will not hurt anything.

But I don't get the point of doing so?
Old Sun, Apr-21-2013, 10:57:17 AM   #17
adrianma

Hong Kong

it can be done easily.. i do it on my mini all the time

that said i wouldn't try it on the M at such high revs

there is no sounds/clunks if you do it properly.

to start trying i would recommend to try pulling the 2nd gear out (into neutral) when you are rolling to a stop, do not let the drivetrain 'hang' on the gear... give it a little bit of gas at the same time your hand is pushing from 2nd up into N.. don't force it,,, it'll pop out with no effort. once you know what that feels like.. you can try experimenting...

this is a good watch.. in case you are interested.

its one thing to know how to do it.. but it is really pointless..
Jump to top adrianma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Apr-21-2013, 05:06:12 PM   #18
vtn86

United States

I used to do it a lot on my old hondas. Tried it once when I first bought the M. Couldn't do it for some reason. The gears seem to be "too tight".
Jump to top vtn86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Apr-21-2013, 05:10:04 PM   #19
///M_Achilles
"Visor down for business"

In the garage:

Philippines

Watch this right now

Jump to top ///M_Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Apr-21-2013, 11:24:43 PM   #20
E46Dinan

In the garage: