BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Forced Induction (F/I)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Forced Induction (F/I) Discuss the ever growing F/I options here!

Old Thu, Sep-03-2009, 03:09:04 PM   #31
MikeyV3D200
-See Me Go- Fast Errr

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSpired View Post
Did you call HPF and talk to them? I remember hearing something about using their stage 2 clutch for SMG's...

500 easy miles is usually plenty to break it in.
Yea i spoke to the over the phone when I ordered it. They were really great and asked me how I liked my VF kit. What about the Stage 2 clutch? I got the stage 1 because it said between 300whp and 700whp, the stage 2 was good from 700-900whp I think. I wont be needing that anytime soon tho lol.
Jump to top MikeyV3D200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Sep-04-2009, 04:41:51 AM   #32
Rendezvous

Germany

ACT also just came out with a clutch for the E46 M3.
Jump to top Rendezvous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-22-2012, 02:40:35 PM   #33
BevsM3

United States

Default Re: Are there any other performance clutchs out there???

I know this is an old thread but it's my turn for a new clutch.
Im running an AA stg 2 kit and with my next upgrades it will put me in the neighborhood of 500+whp. Im trying to avoid the chatter some report with the HPF clutches but I don't know if it's avoidable. My goal is as close to stock as possible. It seems as though some have not changed the flywheel with there new clutch, is it possible not doing so may cause the chatter?

I have an SMG, please chime in with your (SMG) set-ups and post pros/cons of each. I appreciate the help.

So far im considering:

HPF stg 1
Sachs HD
Jump to top BevsM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-23-2012, 03:29:08 AM   #34
BMtroubleyou
EL-SATO

Puerto Rico

Every one has their own opinion on the set up, I have the Stage 2+ VF kit, plus 75 shot of nitrous and I race, abuse, do almost everything to my UUC LWF and segmented Kevlar clutch so I can try to upgrade but.........Also on the Chadder, you will hardly ever notice it on the SMG, 'SOMETIMES" hardly ever you will nitoce or hear it, Remember their is no shifter or anything going thru the cabin by the shifter, Funny that you will hear it on the SMG a little with the window open, Seriously I had a E36 SC M3 with the same set up and it is like night and day!!! When I reset the clutch with the GT1, take off and shifts were smooth and even better with my ESS SMG software! Acceleration is awesome!

I also filled my transmission with redline MTF and Automatic transmission fluid, something like that, I don't remember the mixture. Rob at UUC will send you the oil while you are at it change it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevsM3 View Post
I know this is an old thread but it's my turn for a new clutch.
Im running an AA stg 2 kit and with my next upgrades it will put me in the neighborhood of 500+whp. Im trying to avoid the chatter some report with the HPF clutches but I don't know if it's avoidable. My goal is as close to stock as possible. It seems as though some have not changed the flywheel with there new clutch, is it possible not doing so may cause the chatter?

I have an SMG, please chime in with your (SMG) set-ups and post pros/cons of each. I appreciate the help.

So far im considering:

HPF stg 1
Sachs HD

Currently
04 ///M3 E46 previous was 633 RWHP on 98 mix gas & 50/50 W/M. Now turbo....
10 X5///M E70
07 E60 ///M5
RIP

80 VW Rabbit
85 Toyota Corolla 1.8
85 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
87 Mazda TurboII RX-7
96 318Ti
97 BMW 328is E36 "fully modded" AA Supercharged
99 Jetta
02 Jetta
03 BMW 325 IS
03 VW GTI 20th Anniversary
04 Toyota 4 Runner SR-5
04 Audi Quattro 1.8 Turbo
04 AUDI S4 B6 Winter Vehicle DD
06 BMW 530i
01 BMW 330Ci
02 M3 E46 Vert
05 X5 E53 4.8is

2001 R1
2004 CBR 1000RR
2004 GSX-R 1000
Jump to top BMtroubleyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-23-2012, 12:32:33 PM   #35
BevsM3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMtroubleyou View Post
Every one has their own opinion on the set up, I have the Stage 2+ VF kit, plus 75 shot of nitrous and I race, abuse, do almost everything to my UUC LWF and segmented Kevlar clutch so I can try to upgrade but.........Also on the Chadder, you will hardly ever notice it on the SMG, 'SOMETIMES" hardly ever you will nitoce or hear it, Remember their is no shifter or anything going thru the cabin by the shifter, Funny that you will hear it on the SMG a little with the window open, Seriously I had a E36 SC M3 with the same set up and it is like night and day!!! When I reset the clutch with the GT1, take off and shifts were smooth and even better with my ESS SMG software! Acceleration is awesome!

I also filled my transmission with redline MTF and Automatic transmission fluid, something like that, I don't remember the mixture. Rob at UUC will send you the oil while you are at it change it!!
Thank you for your response!! I made a couple of calls yesterday first to mike at Maximum PSI who will be doing the install, his unbiased choice was for the HPF clutch. He said every car that came through there with that clutch had no issues with noise or chatter, some were also 700hp cars.

I then called HPF and explained my concerns, they told me every single SMG they boost gets a STG 2 clutch. SGT 2 because of the hydraulic pressure. He said there may be the slightest chatter in a perfect scenario rpm/incline etc. I told him about a few people that had pretty noticeable chatter and he said it was either broken in wrong or the flywheel may of had a problem and needed to be replaced.

I think what caused my clutch to go in two weeks after the SC was installed was all of the fluid in the SMG reservoir leaked out. The idiot had put a plastic cap on the plastic nipple. It was empty for a month and during that time I was beating the crap out of it. Once I found the problem I filled it did the full smg reset which helped but never went back to normal. I still feel the power loss.

So it looks like I will be going with the HPF STG 2 and I will have a new flywheel on hand just in case.
Jump to top BevsM3 is offline   Reply With Quote