BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, May-14-2008, 03:40:09 AM   #11
deadlysyns

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicke46 View Post
I dont kno whether its a good idea or not. Any cons to this mod?
Quote from some1 on another thread.

But as I stated earlier one of the MAIN reasons why you do not want the clutch to be pushed in, is because on a cold start (early morning after all oil has dripped down overnight or whatever) you are loading up the thrust bearing and it has zero lube on it.

[Whenever you push the clutch in, the pressure plate literally tries to push the crackshaft out the front of the engine...and that what the thrust bearing is for. But when you push the clutch in after a long time of sitting, ie: overnight, all the oil around/in the thrust bearing has dripped back down into the oilpan...so you are literally pushing, what 2000lbs?, of pressure onto the crankshaft, which in return is grinding into the thrust bearing (no lube) and then you go ahead and start the car, spinning the crankshaft and grooving up the thrust bearing.....You do realize, technically the clutch does not have to be pushed in for a manual transmission car to start, right? The only reason we [manual cars] have to have the clushed pushed in is STRICTLY for safety purposes. There are NO benefits to pushing the clutch in just to start the car]
Jump to top deadlysyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, May-14-2008, 03:41:07 AM   #12
forcefedgsr

important con to this mod is you can add auto start to your car!
Jump to top forcefedgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-14-2008, 03:43:35 AM   #13
techlogik

Yeah, safety is a dumb idea. Probably some kids got run over and automobile manufacturers sued because it was a preventable situation with an easy technical fix.

But hey, what could ever go wrong?

You should just stop wearing your seatbelt and disable the airbags while you are at it.
Jump to top techlogik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-19-2008, 07:48:09 PM   #14
DJiK
Di J'ai Kay

United States

Hey deadlysyns,

Thanks a lot for making this thread and following up on my initial idea.
After reading what you had posted, I realized I've made an ignorant mistake of shorting wires #1 & #3 together (which is equivalent to shorting the positive and negative terminals on a battery). To my defense, I didn't have the diagram in my possession at the time.

Anyway, I will try out what you have written up as soon as time allows and let you know of how it worked out.
Are you positive that no systems (i.e. cruise control, starter immobilizer, alarm, etc.) have been affected by the mod?

What's the disadvantage of having the immobilizer hard-wired to #3?
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlysyns View Post
My next mod is to install my Compustar Remote Starter. I just need the wiring diagram of all the starter wires and IGN I and IGN II wires. DJiK would you happen to have the wiring diagram of the M3 security module?
I will check on those wiring diagrams once I get home in a few hours...

Thanks again for doing this!
Jump to top DJiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-19-2008, 08:05:45 PM   #15
DJiK
Di J'ai Kay

United States

Quote:
This weekend I will redo this write up using a relay with the power from the interior courtesy lights to by pass the clutch so that the immobilizer is not always hard wired to Wire3
If I am not mistaken, the footwell lights go off as soon as the key turns to the ON position. This means you'd have to make a timer delay for the relay.

I think a better idea would be to have the relay turn on when the key turns to the ON position, there are plenty of things taking place at that time. I'm sure you could piggyback from one of the wires that get 12V when the car is about to start.
Old Mon, May-19-2008, 08:21:17 PM   #16
deadlysyns

United States

You can hook up the two wires to a On/Off toggle switch so that it will no be hard wired all the time.

I did wire the wires to a relay over the weekend to the courtesy lights. As soon as you put the key in the ignition the lights start to dim but if you are quick enough the relay will still be engaged and you can start the car w/o pushing down the clutch. The great thing about hooking the relay to the courtesy light is that the intended clutch safety feature is still active once the courtesy lights turn off. You have a small window to start the car once you put the key in the ignition before the courtesy lights turn off. You will need to push the clutch to start the car. If you leave the door open, then the courtesy lights will remain on until you shut the door.

As far as having the relay turn on when when the key turns to the ON position, its like having the two wires hard wired because the key will always be in the ON position when you are driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJiK View Post
Hey deadlysyns,

Thanks a lot for making this thread and following up on my initial idea.
After reading what you had posted, I realized I've made an ignorant mistake of shorting wires #1 & #3 together (which is equivalent to shorting the positive and negative terminals on a battery). To my defense, I didn't have the diagram in my possession at the time.

Anyway, I will try out what you have written up as soon as time allows and let you know of how it worked out.
Are you positive that no systems (i.e. cruise control, starter immobilizer, alarm, etc.) have been affected by the mod?

What's the disadvantage of having the immobilizer hard-wired to #3?
I will check on those wiring diagrams once I get home in a few hours...

Thanks again for doing this!

Last edited by deadlysyns; Mon, May-19-2008 at 08:58:47 PM.
Old Mon, May-19-2008, 08:37:49 PM   #17
DJiK
Di J'ai Kay

United States

Quote:
I did wired the wires to a relay over the weekend to the courtesy lights. As soon as you put the key in the ignition the lights start to dim but if you are quick enough the relay will still be engaged and you can start the car. Also if the door is left open then the courtesy lights remain on so at that time you can start the car.
I have had a couple of instances in which if I had turned the key too fast to start the car, it wouldn't start (presumably because the fuel-pump hasn't been primed yet).
With all due respect, but to start the car, I would rather press the clutch down than hold the door open. So this solution is not going to cut it for me. I keep thinking more and more towards a timer delay based relay. Look at the diagrams halfway down this page. A three second delay is achieved by replacing the 470F capacitor with 47F one.

Quote:
As far as having the relay turn on when when the key turns to the ON position, its like having the two wires hard wired because the key will always be in the ON position when you are driving.
That why I was asking if there's anything wrong with just having the two wires hard-wired. Is there?
Old Mon, May-19-2008, 09:01:13 PM   #18
deadlysyns

United States

The only wire that is affected is the immobilizer. My understanding is its just the clutch safety feature.

Quote:
I have had a couple of instances in which if I had turned the key too fast to start the car, it wouldn't start (presumably because the fuel-pump hasn't been primed yet).
With all due respect, but to start the car, I would rather press the clutch down than hold the door open. So this solution is not going to cut it for me. I keep thinking more and more towards a timer delay based relay. Look at the diagrams halfway down this page. A three second delay is achieved by replacing the 470F capacitor with 47F one.

That why I was asking if there's anything wrong with just having the two wires hard-wired. Is there?
Old Mon, May-19-2008, 09:03:52 PM   #19
deadlysyns

United States

You can hook the starter wire to the relay but I am not sure if the timing will affect the relay. The starter wire will power the relay and the starter coil at the same time. I am not sure if the relay needs to be turned on first before the starter coil.

Quote:
If I am not mistaken, the footwell lights go off as soon as the key turns to the ON position. This means you'd have to make a timer delay for the relay.

I think a better idea would be to have the relay turn on when the key turns to the ON position, there are plenty of things taking place at that time. I'm sure you could piggyback from one of the wires that get 12V when the car is about to start.
Old Mon, May-19-2008, 09:40:18 PM   #20
fuelthefire
Vert M3= Fun in the Sun!

United States

yea if I did this I'd probably end up driving into something

My dad always told me to park the car in gear incase I forget the e-brake. Many times I try to turn the car on without the clutch in and afterwards I realize it's in gear. But this is a really nice DIY for 6mt users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARCOtheINFIDEL View Post
I'd stand on my head in 7 feet of dog $hit to hear her fart through a broken walkie talkie... heheh
Jump to top fuelthefire is offline   Reply With Quote