BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Feb-13-2009, 08:13:51 AM   #1
suprafabs

United States

Default Whats the best available e46 m3 csl trunk?

hey whats up guys this is my first posting, and i know this is old news for some of you but i been looking to buy a csl trunk anf everything i see arround the fitment is just so bad that i would feel that by putting some of those trunks i would be hurting my m good lucks, if you guys know what i mean....like some girls have messed up boob jobs....(supused to be a plus turns into a nightmare)...Anyways my ques tion is from those who have experience whats the best trunk? what you guys suggest?
Jump to top suprafabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Feb-13-2009, 08:16:11 AM   #2
chuck5

Philippines

Go OEM CSL.
Old Fri, Feb-13-2009, 08:19:16 AM   #3
rcsummers
He never drives it, He just rubs it with a diaper

In the garage:

United States

if price doesnt matter...cant beat OEM
Old Fri, Feb-13-2009, 08:21:45 AM   #4
suprafabs

United States

i cant offort oem.....
Jump to top suprafabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-13-2009, 08:23:31 AM   #5
rcsummers
He never drives it, He just rubs it with a diaper

In the garage:

United States

Go Vorsteiner then. Anyone suggest any other brands?

also look around in pictures and see whose CSL trunk you like the most, multiple companies make them.
Old Fri, Feb-13-2009, 08:26:19 AM   #6
///M3AN ONE
Live life to the fullest...

Philippines

Is this a trick question?

OEM bro! But if price and fitment are your concern, VIS or Seibon. Double the price and get a better weave but same fit from VCSL.
Jump to top ///M3AN ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-13-2009, 08:31:57 AM   #7
trudnick
1908 and still counting....

United States

I've been looking into this as well and here is what I was able to come up with:

The Vorsteiner replica (commonly referred to as V-CSL) is the best non-OEM CSL bootlid, but will run you over $1K.

After that it is all subject to which production run you get. Here are a couple links for some group buy bootlids. Read through them and check out the pix. Then make your choice. The search function is a big help as well.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...ht=csl+bootlid NOTE: VIS does not equal V-CSL

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...ht=csl+bootlid

Good Luck
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.

2005 BMW ///M3 / Carbon Black / Black Leather / 6MT
OEM CSL Bootlid, Tekarbon CSL Diffuser, OEM Euro Headers, OEM Euro Cats, FMU Custom Section II 3" X-Pipe with DHM Low-Profile Cutout, OEM Short Shift Kit, OEM Euro Side Mirror Glass, Illuminated ZHP Shift Knob, Hoen Fogs, Stealth Corners, V1 (3.872) Hardwire, Eibach Pro-Kit, RE 15mm-F/12mm-R Spacers, CDV delete, Clutch Stop, Summer OEM ZCP 19s: Michelin Super Sports (245/275), Winter OEM 18s: Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3s (225/255), Self-installed OEM Alarm & OEM Homelink UGDO.
Jump to top trudnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-13-2009, 08:56:21 AM   #8
LiquidM3tal

United States

VIS, Seibon, or Vorsteiner. It'll all come down to who installs it.
Old Fri, Feb-13-2009, 02:33:27 PM   #9
CarbonM3NY

United States

I just been through this recently so I know what you are going through. This is a very confusing situation and you dont want to waste your money on a trunk you will regret later on. Here is my take on this situation...

-OEM CSL trunk if you want the best fitting /best looking trunk but you will have to break that bank to get it (or at least for some).
-From my research, V-CSL does come in a good second. The weave on the vcsl is pretty darn good and fitment is up to the installer.
-Euro-spec trunk is also pretty good but you dont get the pure CSL look. The trunk fits pretty nice and the weave looks very good. I do notice that the line where the lip ends on the back part of the trunk doesnt really line up with the top of the taillight so it does look a little funky. this trunk also requires you get another trunk handle if you have an 03+ car. Price is a little less than VIS or seibon and a lot less than VCSL and OEM.
-VIS or Siebon are the same, one is more expensive than the other because of the tag they put on the trunk. I think the fitment looks pretty good. The one thing that I dont like about it is the weave. It looks kinda wavey to me. This is not a problem for people planning to paint their trunk.

As for me, I opted for the euro-spec trunk. I do like the trunk handle and the ability to open the trunk using the button. If I knew before hand about the lip spoiler line will not line up with the rest of the trunk I probaly would of think twice about it. But overall I am pretty happy with my choice since I will most likely leave mine carbon fiber exposed.

Most csl rep trunks will require some dremelling since the carbon fiber/fiberglass backing is thicker than metal and all the bushing are built for metal. The final look of the trunk will always going to be based on the installer. There are more room for adjustment on those trunk if the installer knows what they are doing.

Hope that helps.

Good luck!!
Old Fri, Feb-13-2009, 05:05:13 PM   #10
///KM3

United States

I'm of the minority that thinks the Vorsteiner trunk is a little overrated. The weave is great. However fitment I think is pretty bad. I've helped a friend install his VCSL trunk and getting the fitment right was a nightmare of adjustments - and even still it didn't come out perfect. From the pictures I've seen, just about every Vorsteiner has the same fitment characteristics - uneven gaps at the bottom (passenger side larger than the drivers side) and the inner trunk taillights almost never line up with the outer taillights.

I came to the conclusion to go with OEM or nothing at all.

03 Steel Gray/Black SMG II
Engine HKS Super Hybrid Filter | HKS Super Fire Racing M40X Spark Plugs | Okada Projects Plasma Direct Ignition Coils | Bimmerworld Intake Elbow | OEM Euro Headers | OEM Euro Catpipe | Rogue Engineering El Diablo Ti | Active Autowerke Street Software
Suspension HKS Hipermax RS Coilovers | Turner Motorsport Sway Bars | OEM 2006 RTABs | Active Autowerke Rear Strut Tower Bar
Wheels Yokohama Advan RS Dark Gunmetal 19x8.5F +32 / 19x10R +20
Jump to top ///KM3 is offline   Reply With Quote