BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, May-19-2018, 08:51:55 PM   #1
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

Default Dismantling s54

just need tips on how to dismantle this thing.

First the head bolts are E12 socket is that correct?

And currently got the engine on the engine stand and will replace the crankshaft. Do I need to remove the rear main seal first in order to remove the crank shaft? because I don't think I have room to remove the bolts holding the rear main seal since the engine stand mount will be in the way.

Any other tips that you guys can think of when dismantling the engine will be appreciated as well.. currently I got everything off of the engine (i.e. throttle bodies, oil filter housing etc. etc.) and will re-use the stuff that is coming from my engine in my car.

And if anyone interested on a s54 engine w/ spun rod bearing w/ rebuilt vanos (seals, re-drilled pump disk, anti-rattle kit, the works) along w/ an extra bad crank shaft and a good cylinder head in San diego area hit me up. I'd have one extra after I rebuild and install this one that I am working on, I'd rather not part it out so i'd be selling it for cheap since it'll just take space in my room.
Old Sat, May-19-2018, 11:09:47 PM   #2
grannyknot

Canada

Default Re: Dismantling s54

E14 for the head bolts, I find freezer Bagies or old margarine containers are most convenient for holding and lableling smaller parts, take lots of pics while dismantling.
I ran into the same problem with the crank seal so made up this plate so I could mount the engine sideways on the engine stand and get access to everything. 2nd pic is an s38 engine but same idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0630 (1024x768).jpg (539.4 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1810 (1024x768).jpg (241.7 KB, 90 views)
Jump to top grannyknot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-20-2018, 03:08:11 AM   #3
qualicas

In the garage:

Canada

I just used spacers and longer bolts to mount the engine. Take the cams off by slowly loosening the caps evenly.
Taking the engine apart is easy wait til you reassemble!
I second the pictures and baggies. I also use different color paint markers to make sure stuff gets back together the same way.
Jump to top qualicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-20-2018, 03:24:25 AM   #4
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualicas View Post
I just used spacers and longer bolts to mount the engine. Take the cams off by slowly loosening the caps evenly.
I second the pictures and baggies. I also use different color paint markers to make sure stuff gets back together the same way.
I got the cams off the engine. was nervous at first but it was actually easier than i thought.

I just need to get the crankshaft replaced basically and put it back together. Status gruppe will do the engine swap for me for a pretty good price on labor.

yeah I've used ziploc bags to separate the bolts and other hardwares. I've covered everything that can corrode w/ assembly lube for now so they don't rust. I am using the extra cylinder head that I got w/ my crankshaft since that one was already cleaned. I see the exhaust valves in the engine is pretty dirty. Intake wasn't bad except for 2nd and 3rd cylinder valves got some carbon build up.

I tried removing the crank bolts up front and broke my socket (granted it was a walmart tool kit) I am getting the proper sockets tomorrow and get the head removed.
Old Sun, May-20-2018, 07:08:56 AM   #5
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Take the cams off by slowly loosening the caps evenly.
works like a charm. Don't see that talked about very often, great advice.

Although, I think it's the even loosening, a little at a time, moving in a proper sequence which makes it possible rather than going slowly.

It's a little scary when you first do it, but it was actually a breeze, just need to be disciplined, sticking to your designated amount of movement (1/4 or half turn or whatever you choose) and even.

That's prob good advice for all engine work

Evolve-R Alpha N Evolve CSL CF Airbox Eventuri Scoop Supersprint V1 stepped SS V1 S pipe + 200 cell HFC OE sect 2 SS Sport BMW Motorsport 4.10 Besian RE pullies/fan delete WPC rod bearings TMS Camber & Subf plates RE Trans Mounts AKG poly SUB/DIFF SDW RTAB ZHP knob + UUC DSSR GroundControl S/A (Koni/Eibach 440/550) + tall RSMs OE CSL trunk APEX 75mm Studs Sportline 8S 18"x8.5/9.5" MPSS 245/275 ss brake/clutch lines Pioneer DEH-80PRS Eclipse PA5422 CDT HD-6 + WS-100i CDT EX-530 8" Kicker

DD/Beater: 1999 Civic LX - Kenwood x998 PPI 1600.4 CDT HD-6 + HD-100 CDT EX-530 Clarion 10"
Jump to top TboneM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-20-2018, 01:52:24 PM   #6
ctres

United States

Are you rebuilding this engine due to a spun bearing?
Jump to top ctres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-20-2018, 03:46:56 PM   #7
Braymond141

United States

Quote:
You need to constantly tap the front edge of the cam with a soft mallet as you do this. The cam cap bridge at the front (which is also the thrust bearing) likes to bind and will not raise with the rear. Sometimes it comes up, other times you may risk cracking your cam if gone unnoticed.

I should re-upload this slowed down.

Yes you need to to remove the rear main seal. You can loosen it where it is on the stand, pry it off the block dowel pins and raise it up with the crank still hanging off the back. You just want it removed from the block and to clear the engine stand.

I've done the full tear down several times now, but here's my latest mini tear down if you're interested; http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...&postcount=120
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-20-2018, 05:07:18 PM   #8
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctres View Post
Are you rebuilding this engine due to a spun bearing?
the 2nd engine i bought has spun rod bearing too but not as bad as mine (mine was knocking, the 2nd engine was just making weird noise) and the culprit was cylinder 5 on the engine I am working on. mine was cylinder 1, it sounded like the dreaded rattle can sound and since it sounded like it was coming from vanos I rebuilt my vanos all through out and still had it. that's when i checked for the cylinder and first cylinder i checked and there you go lol.

I bought the 2nd engine w/ spun rod bearing for dirt cheap.. like the kind of cheap that you can't let it pass even if you don't need it cheap. And the vanos unit on it has been done as well w/ beisan anti rattle kit only thing that wasn't touched was the oil pump disk.

I bought a good crankshaft w/ a cylinder head included for 800bucks to use on my engine but then the 2nd engine came out to market and I bought it right away. so when everything is done I'd have an extra engine w/ vanos completely rebuilt, an extra cylinder head and a extra crankshaft. I haven't measured the crankshafts if they can be re-machined and remain in tolerance. I'll most likely do that later once everything is done, if they can be re-machined and be in tolerance then I'd rebuild the extra engine and sell it. if not I'd sell the extra engine as is.
Old Mon, May-21-2018, 03:39:41 PM   #9
Engrmikl

In the garage:

United States

Well this is perfect timing. I just started my first tear down for a bent rod. I had to kind of figure out the cam removal but came out without any issues. Opening it up to check block and crank for additional damage. Not sure what I am going to do with it yet but at least I will know whats actually wrong with it.
Jump to top Engrmikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-23-2018, 05:24:57 AM   #10
qualicas

In the garage:

Canada

I did a ring job when I replaced the crank. I found that undersized bearings were not available for the S54 crank. I managed to get a good used one. The spun crank would be good for Andrew Lang to make wider bearings and rods etc.
I was going to clean the pistons but realized that grit was just going to run down the sides of the pistons and ruin the piston and block. Pulling the pistons out and you can clean and inspect them. You will most likely have to replace one spun rod anyway. I bought Grant Rings available on ebay. Grant have been around forever. It took a while before I found rings as well.
Jump to top qualicas is offline   Reply With Quote