BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, May-22-2018, 01:04:25 AM   #1
matty088

Default Letís talk intakes and how To get 20hp?

I am very new so please have patience wth me. I just got a e46 m3 vert. I love it for the analog experience. I think it handles great. Loves to rev and at least this one has killer brakes. Not to mention itís one a handsome car.

I do think it could use a small bump in power. While it revs quickly I just donít feel any push back into the seat. Please know I donít need this car to be fast. I have other cars that are fast. I just need this one alittle more ballsy. I donít want it to feel or sound modified.

So thatís the background. I could be wrong but it seems intakes are a big deal for this car. Thst is shocking Bc in other cars they are worthless besides for sound. It seems like everyone rant and raves about the csl intake. These things are adding 20 or more hp? Is thst right? And am I seeing thst itís over $5k? What the heck gives with that. 20hp is not worth 5000. To me. Anyways how wrong are my assumptions?

Is an intake a good place to start considering what my goal is? I have said I think I need 50 more hp. But now I think that would require too much. What can I do for a small boost in power that I will feel? Intake ? If I do headers I wouldnít change the stock exhaust. How does that impact sound. Like I said I donít want to have this thing feel modded. I just want slightly more power.

If an intake is right path for me is there a cheaper option than 5k plus forthe csl ?

Sorry for the long winded post
Jump to top matty088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, May-22-2018, 01:13:59 AM   #2
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

Default Re: Letís talk intakes and how To get 20hp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty088 View Post
I am very new so please have patience wth me. I just got a e46 m3 vert. I love it for the analog experience. I think it handles great. Loves to rev and at least this one has killer brakes. Not to mention itís one a handsome car.

I do think it could use a small bump in power. While it revs quickly I just donít feel any push back into the seat. Please know I donít need this car to be fast. I have other cars that are fast. I just need this one alittle more ballsy. I donít want it to feel or sound modified.

So thatís the background. I could be wrong but it seems intakes are a big deal for this car. Thst is shocking Bc in other cars they are worthless besides for sound. It seems like everyone rant and raves about the csl intake. These things are adding 20 or more hp? Is thst right? And am I seeing thst itís over $5k? What the heck gives with that. 20hp is not worth 5000. To me. Anyways how wrong are my assumptions?

Is an intake a good place to start considering what my goal is? I have said I think I need 50 more hp. But now I think that would require too much. What can I do for a small boost in power that I will feel? Intake ? If I do headers I wouldnít change the stock exhaust. How does that impact sound. Like I said I donít want to have this thing feel modded. I just want slightly more power.

If an intake is right path for me is there a cheaper option than 5k plus forthe csl ?

Sorry for the long winded post
Ahh now I know what you need. Get 4.10 gears. hands down. thats is alll u want trust me. your vert is heavy, and is quite a bit slower than a coupe, give it 4.10s you'll thank me. push back in the seat, quicker revs, faster, and alll stock everywhere else, cheaper.

Mods:
-Custom CF airbox
-SSV2 catless headers, Custom 2.5" dual sec1, Custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3..
-Cat Cams 280 272.
-Custom dyno tune
-Tms pulleys and electric fan conversion
364.1 whp 287.8 wtq

Custom exhaust thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=569086
Cams thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=554439
Custom cf airbox thread http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=595180
Why not to use after market bearings with surfacetreatments and /or increased clearance
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...4&postcount=10
Jump to top HassanEido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-22-2018, 01:19:42 AM   #3
Paulo M

United States

The only intake that’s a big deal are CSL ones
Old Tue, May-22-2018, 01:32:32 AM   #4
matty088

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
The only intake thatís a big deal are CSL ones
And itís 5000 for everything for csl?
Old Tue, May-22-2018, 01:35:28 AM   #5
oceansize
Kwisatz Haderach

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by HassanEido View Post
Ahh now I know what you need. Get 4.10 gears. hands down. thats is alll u want trust me. your vert is heavy, and is quite a bit slower than a coupe, give it 4.10s you'll thank me. push back in the seat, quicker revs, faster, and alll stock everywhere else, cheaper.
4.10s (and some lightweight Wheels) are my next to do item.
Stoptech Brakes
MRR GT-1 Wheels
TTFS SMG Tune
Rogue Eng. Diablo Exhaust w/ SS Tips
Rogue Eng. Rasp Pipe
Redish Reinforcement Plates
Polyurethane Rear Subframe Bushings
Polyurethane Differential Bushings
Beisan Oil Pump Disk
Jump to top oceansize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-22-2018, 01:39:41 AM   #6
matty088

So basically there is no easy thing to do here. I guess that’s the issue with NA cars
Old Tue, May-22-2018, 01:42:21 AM   #7
LINDW4LL

United States

Quote:
So basically there is no easy thing to do here. I guess that’s the issue with NA cars
Correct, on the CSL airbox front.

As a more modest alternative, you could consider an Eventuri intake. $875 from TAG Motorsports, and it makes 10-15whp over stock and is a nice improvement in the sound department. And, unlike the CSL airbox, it retains the stock MAF and thus avoids the need for a custom Alpha-N tune or CSL DME conversion.

Jump to top LINDW4LL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-22-2018, 01:43:06 AM   #8
matty088

I will look into 4:10 gears. Ty
Old Tue, May-22-2018, 01:45:40 AM   #9
M3_Pilot

In the garage:

United States

I don’t think pushback is a proper means of assessing a cars acceleration. I can gaurantee you that your very car will feel much faster if you drive passenger and have someone else gun it. But for your means of attaining the most power whilst being economical and neighbor friendly, I’d say euro headers/cats with a tune.

2004 Jet Black/Cinnamon 6MT
Jump to top M3_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-22-2018, 01:45:48 AM   #10
oceansize
Kwisatz Haderach

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
So basically there is no easy thing to do here. I guess thatís the issue with NA cars
In my limited experience with these cars plus a whole lot of reading this forum, easy and cheap equals no. I know you said no way to a SC but I would reconsider. Plug and Play and inexpensive in terms of dollars per HP gained. But I understand, some people really don't like superchargers (or their gross cost) and I can respect that.
Stoptech Brakes
MRR GT-1 Wheels
TTFS SMG Tune
Rogue Eng. Diablo Exhaust w/ SS Tips
Rogue Eng. Rasp Pipe
Redish Reinforcement Plates
Polyurethane Rear Subframe Bushings
Polyurethane Differential Bushings
Beisan Oil Pump Disk
Jump to top oceansize is offline   Reply With Quote