BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Sat, Jul-28-2012, 01:31:38 PM   #1
///MFM3

In the garage:

United States

Default Rotor Design Question

This has been a longtime question of mine - so I wanted to see what kind of answers I get.

As I understand it, a slotted rotor gives a path for gases produced by the brake pad, as otherwise the gases form a layer between the rotor and the pad (that is difficult to displace, therefore you can't brake well). A cross-drilled rotor just has the advantage of cooling capacity, as there is more surface area. Disclaimer: I have the ZCP brakes on my non-ZCP M3 so I went that route, but as I start tracking my car more, I'm sure I'll go with something cheaper (I hear OEM rotors are buttery from other threads out here), and they will most likely be blanks from a website someone pointed out here a few weeks ago.

So, has anyone, be it a racing team, manufacturer, enthusiast, ever done some exhaustive tests on which design types of rotors actually perform better (all other variables equal), over a track session? This would obviously take something like the same car, back-to-back runs, same rotor size, ducting, caliper, tires, pads, etc, etc.

I have heard that with the newer track/race pad compounds, they don't produce a lot of those gases that the slotted rotor is supposed to combat. I would also imagine that while track/race pads are good up to very high temps, the rotor may not (prone to warping, faster rotor and pad wear).

I guess the thing to do would be to look at what GT race teams use...here's what Turner has on one of their cars (not sure what you call this design):

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

Past:
'04 CB 6MT
'06 SG 6MT
Jump to top ///MFM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Jul-28-2012, 02:16:11 PM   #2
magnetic1

United States

Default Re: Rotor Design Question

Cross drilled rotors do not increase cooling capacity. It decreases it as there is less mass. Cross drilled rotors are for aesthetics pretty much. The job of the rotor is to absorb heat, so drilling out mass, leaves you with a smaller heat sink. This is aside from all the other issues relating to cracking, etc.

I'd argue that if youre using a proper pad, that slotting is also for aesthetics too.

As far as the outgassing is concerned, dont really have that issue with current pads. The slotting can help if you end up glazing a pad, but again, proper pad = no glazing.

Turner has "J-slot" rotors. Just more marketing, etc. Just because a GT team uses it, doesnt mean much.
VIR Sloppy GTS3 Record 2:04.3
VIR TT3 2:00.9
#121 GTS3 E46 M3 Build/Blog
2003 Avus Blue Individual M3 Street Mule
Jump to top magnetic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jul-28-2012, 09:57:35 PM   #3
///MFM3

In the garage:

United States

Interesting, thanks.

So the best setup is really blanks that can withstand abuse from track pads, the bigger the better (more heat sink).

Given some other threads I've read, I'll be getting some blanks for my next set of rotors.

Past:
'04 CB 6MT
'06 SG 6MT
Old Sat, Jul-28-2012, 10:34:57 PM   #4
Tarmac_E36_M3
If it ain't lightweight, it ain't the right weight.

In the garage:

United States

What rotors, slotted, are available to fit zcp setups? I have zcp rotors.... Dislike.... But have Rotora 4 piston front and rear calipers. I'd like to get a set of rotors that are not cross drilled.

Past fun:
69 Mustang
E46 M3 385 HP
GR STI 375 HP
GD STI 320 HP
E36 M3 250 HP
Jump to top Tarmac_E36_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-29-2012, 02:27:14 AM   #5
///MFM3

In the garage:

United States

I'll have to check my subscribed threads...in one of them someone mentions a website with all sorts of manufacturers for great prices. The ZCP setups were much more expensive than non-ZCP the last time I checked though (it's just hit-or-miss).

Edit: the website is rockauto.com. Current ZCP setups are OEM ($230/rotor) or more expensive, while non-ZCP start at $40/rotor...might have to "downgrade."

Max

Past:
'04 CB 6MT
'06 SG 6MT

Last edited by ///MFM3; Sun, Jul-29-2012 at 02:37:05 AM. Reason: found the website...
Old Sun, Jul-29-2012, 12:18:55 PM   #6
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

One thing not mentioned yet are the benefits of a two piece rotor. In general, you'll lower overall rotor weight which reduces spinning weight which I would think extends pad life.
Jump to top ThunderMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-29-2012, 01:40:51 PM   #7
930man

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
One thing not mentioned yet are the benefits of a two piece rotor. In general, you'll lower overall rotor weight which reduces spinning weight which I would think extends pad life.
Umm no....has absolutely nothing to do with this!

Current stable
1996 993 TT
1995 lwt m3
2009 E92
1986 944ts race
Jump to top 930man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-29-2012, 01:47:00 PM   #8
macming

United States

I really like the 2 piece pfc direct drive rotors.

The pfc rotors withstand wear so much better than the OEM zcp rotors and the replacement cost to the friction ring is about the same as the zcp rotors.
Jump to top macming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-29-2012, 01:48:27 PM   #9
macming

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac_E36_M3 View Post
What rotors, slotted, are available to fit zcp setups? I have zcp rotors.... Dislike.... But have Rotora 4 piston front and rear calipers. I'd like to get a set of rotors that are not cross drilled.
The only 2 piece zcp sized rotor is made by Racing Brakes. Since you can't easily get a new set of carriers, I think your option is rather limited.
Jump to top macming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-29-2012, 02:01:17 PM   #10
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930man View Post
Umm no....has absolutely nothing to do with this!
You don't think reducing spinning weight would reduce energy that has to be dissipated by the pad/rotors?
Jump to top ThunderMoose is offline   Reply With Quote