BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Apr-18-2019, 08:02:15 PM   #11
tjkenny15

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Quite Exhaust Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabidfox View Post
SS Sport or Scorza, a resonated x-pipe, a rasp pipe (RE/CPI RTX/pick a flavor), and euro headers would prob be "quiet" enough.

Bud of mine had AFE intake with CPI stepped headers > RE rasp pipe > RE unresonated X > SS Sport and it was the perfect mix inside the car so I can only imagine CSL intake would be way better.
I had an Oakville SCORZA a while back. It was too loud for my tastes once I did headers. Amazing exhaust on stock US headers.

I may need to try a SS Sport (never heard one in person before). That with a resonated section 2 might do the trick...
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Apr-18-2019, 08:20:32 PM   #12
bmw m3 s50
Why So Serious ? :}

Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkenny15 View Post
I had an Oakville SCORZA a while back. It was too loud for my tastes once I did headers. Amazing exhaust on stock US headers.

I may need to try a SS Sport (never heard one in person before). That with a resonated section 2 might do the trick...
I owned all 3.

Supersprint:

Street - barely louder then stock - quietest of the 3.

Sport - louder then stock during hard acceleration, quiets down driving normal and at idle

Race - Loud all the time, under hard acceleration sound volume like a Ferrari or exotic car without the proper tone. Even driving around town normally, you will always hear the muffler.

If your trying to hear the Airbox, the Street muffler is the best choice. The Sport may drown out some of the sound of the airbox. The Race, you will not hear the airbox.

My undertstanding is that your hear the airbox most under hard acceleration, the Sport may cause issues because it is loudest under hard acceleration not so much any other time. This is why the Street will be your best bet if you want to hear 100% of the airbox. I am surprised Ian has not chimed in yet.
Jump to top bmw m3 s50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-18-2019, 08:28:40 PM   #13
Paulo M

United States

Any reason you’re dead set on an aftermarket muffler? Why not just stick w/ stock and install nicer tips?

You’re not gaining any power or benefiting from noticeable weight savings (if any) from the quiet mufflers available. At least w/ stock you’ll know it’ll be the closest to a real CSL noise as possible.
Old Thu, Apr-18-2019, 09:23:49 PM   #14
tjkenny15

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw m3 s50 View Post
I owned all 3.

Supersprint:

Street - barely louder then stock - quietest of the 3.

Sport - louder then stock during hard acceleration, quiets down driving normal and at idle

Race - Loud all the time, under hard acceleration sound volume like a Ferrari or exotic car without the proper tone. Even driving around town normally, you will always hear the muffler.

If your trying to hear the Airbox, the Street muffler is the best choice. The Sport may drown out some of the sound of the airbox. The Race, you will not hear the airbox.

My undertstanding is that your hear the airbox most under hard acceleration, the Sport may cause issues because it is loudest under hard acceleration not so much any other time. This is why the Street will be your best bet if you want to hear 100% of the airbox. I am surprised Ian has not chimed in yet.
SS Street sounds like it would fit the ticket. I have heard this exhaust, a long time ago. Would love to hear one in person again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
Any reason you’re dead set on an aftermarket muffler? Why not just stick w/ stock and install nicer tips?

You’re not gaining any power or benefiting from noticeable weight savings (if any) from the quiet mufflers available. At least w/ stock you’ll know it’ll be the closest to a real CSL noise as possible.
Well from what I've seen on the dyno, the stock section 3 holds off the top end power a bit (correct me if I'm wrong). Not sure it is worth 1-5 whp for a slightly louder exhaust that flows better up top & nicer tips...

Another factor may be if doing a sec. 3, am I going to be losing valuable low/mid torque where it becomes obsolete.

I'd also like to change it up a bit and try something new.
Old Thu, Apr-18-2019, 09:31:14 PM   #15
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Honestly, this is an easy decision...*que waiting for Ian's reply confirming this*

For what you described, you want the Supersprint Street muffler. DONE.

My recommendation, if you can hold off for a few more weeks, jump on the Group-Buy that I am working on. Supersprint and I have teamed up to offer an exclusive dual branded set of oversized mufflers, modeled after the one-off custom Supersprint muffler that I am running. These will be completely exclusive and offered no where else. We will be offering custom oversized versions of their flagship mufflers (Street, Sport, Race) to compliment the new Supersprint Twin-Piped section 2 and will feature 63.5mm piping and 65mm internal muffler piping. The Street version, like mine will have special race tips for a more aggressive look (compared to the standard Street muffler tips) and a few other neat features that I will mention at a later date. These mufflers will also have a flow capacity to support 513hp...so you won't have to worry about any flow restrictions or outgrowing it with future mods.

I am running the prototype of this now and it's fantastic. I think the Street muffler version would be perfect in your case if you want the airbox induction noises to be at the forefront of auditory pleasure.

The Sport would be another good recommendation if you want a little more volume from the exhaust -- But the Street is pretty damn ideal. Don't let name "Street" put you off -- It's a potent combination on this car -- Especially when paired with a complete exhaust system like what you have going on.

With my setup:
-Supersprint V1 Headers
-Supersprint Catless Oversized Section 1
-Supersprint Twin-Piped Oversized Resonated Section 2
-Superprint Custom Oversized Street Muffler

I have ZERO in cabin drone and next to no intruding rasp (my RE El Diablo had mild/moderate drone on the interstate and embarrassing rasp at cold start for the first few minutes). The tone of my current setup from behind the car is nice, deep, and throaty...It sounds tough (surprisingly so, and not at all anemic like I expected when switching over the the quieter Street setup). Although with the windows rolled up or during casual driving, the exhaust is barely audible compared to the airbox which overshouts it. With windows rolled up, dare I say I can't hear my exhaust over my airbox. From the cabin, it's a very clean and refined noise coming from the airbox (since the exhaust isn't competing with the tone) and really showcases the beautiful noises of the airbox at all RPMs -- sounds very GT3-esque in that regard.

Having recently heard a Scorza in person -- It too is a great sounding muffler. Certainly on a louder level though. Fortunately, the tone of the Scorza and airbox are similar enough that the two sort of blend in well together as you go from lower RPM (exhaust noises) to upper RPM (airbox noises) so it doesn't really sound like the muffler is competing with the airbox -- they sort of blend together nicely. That being said, I think with the Scorza there is more of a 50/50 split of exhaust/airbox noises depending on what RPM you are at and how open the throttle bodies are. I think the Supersprint Sport would be closest to this as well and also a nice option if you want a little more coming from the back of the car. With the Supersprint Street, it's more like 85-90% induction noise and 15-10% exhaust. What I like about the actual sound of the Street, it eliminates all the unwanted droney noises of louder mufflers and retains all the refined and exotic tones that I like...but at a volume level that isn't embarrassing or obnoxious for everyday driving. Put the pedal down and the car is LOUD (but that's the airbox).

Another thing I like about my exhaust setup, which was unexpected. On decel. downshifts, I still get exhaust burbles and rumbles (I don't have the pops and bang tune)...I honestly thought the RE El Diablo was the reason I had them before. Playing cat-and-mouse with a 335i last night and pulling up to a light next to him, my car greeted him with a wicked downshift throttle blip that included the wondrous roars of the airbox and rumbles and burbles from the exhaust....it was intoxicating and met with thumbs up from the other driver. The Street muffler can and does absolutely still sound "tough" without being overly loud in volume. While the exhaust volume is more in line with the stock muffler, the tones it produces are far and away tougher sounding than the cheesy stock muffler tin-can/sewing machine noises. No comparison there.

My recommendation and perhaps I am biased (but at least I do what I preach) is to go with either the new custom oversized Supersprint Street or Sport versions I am about to release. Thank me later when you no longer have to think about exhaust optimization afterwards.

Cold Start Idling Noise:

Brief Windows Up and then Windows Down rev -- I should really redo this:

Acceleration with Windows Halfway Down:

Here is a pull from 2nd all the way to redlining 5th gear. Windows all the way up (with windows down, you would just hear the sound of air rushing into the car at these speeds)...With windows up, all you hear is incredible airbox sounds. Perhaps the fastest I've ever been in my car:
(disregard the GPS talking)

If you would like, I can get some recordings of what the exhaust sounds like from behind/outside of the car. But from what you described as wanting from the airbox -- This is the perfect setup in my opinion. You will add a little more weight back to the car, but directly over the rear wheels which is the ideal location...and paired with the twin-piped section 2, you should see a nice gain in performance along with it -- which is an added bonus.

*all recordings were done with my iPhone 6 Plus

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkenny15 View Post
SS Street sounds like it would fit the ticket. I have heard this exhaust, a long time ago. Would love to hear one in person again.

Well from what I've seen on the dyno, the stock section 3 holds off the top end power a bit (correct me if I'm wrong). Not sure it is worth 1-5 whp for a slightly louder exhaust that flows better up top & nicer tips...

Another factor may be if doing a sec. 3, am I going to be losing valuable low/mid torque where it becomes obsolete.

I'd also like to change it up a bit and try something new.
With all this in mind, the setup I am recommending ticks all these boxes without needing to compromise. (which is exactly why I chose it for my own car).

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Both Karbonius and Streamline CSL Airboxes, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized HJS Race Catted section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized Custom section 2, Custom Oversized Supersprint muffler, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Brembo GT6 (front) + GT4 (rear) BBK, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, SMG Pump Relocated.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested):
Camshaft Group-Buy, OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2

Last edited by Dr M3an M3; Thu, Apr-18-2019 at 09:37:34 PM.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-18-2019, 09:33:26 PM   #16
walid.m3

In the garage:

United States

Hey bro,

Here's my opinion after a few setups.
Quieter setups:

1. Active Autowerke was a very quiet exhaust and I have a sound clip. Tips look sexy on the CSL diffuser.

2. I have UUC mid pipes aka sec 1 and 2 which are there for rasp elimination and it makes my car quiet.

I have sound clips for both... I'm here to help and your local. I did put an agency power exhaust with UUC mid pipes and catless headers to wake it up a bit.
Old Thu, Apr-18-2019, 09:37:24 PM   #17
jickel180
Fair Enough

In the garage:

United States

Just switched from my SS Race to an Eisenmann Sport after installing my Karbonious airbox. I can definitely hear the airbox better, but it's not the improvement I was hoping for. Adding a catted rasp pipe next and hoping it quiets things down even further. Currently I'm on a stock section 1 & 2 w/Bimmerworld headers.

I would probably search for an SS Street muffler if I were to do it all over again. Don't forget to pull your hood pad off too. That helps some.
Old Thu, Apr-18-2019, 10:26:02 PM   #18
lippstuh

In the garage:

United States

JIC used to produce a titanium section 2 which will help make the stock exhaust system a little louder. But that piece is NLA and rare. I probably shouldn't have let that one go.

Mods
Karbonius CSL Airbox (1x1) w/ Snorkle CSL-spec DME Kassel MAP sensor Kassel Tuned
JIC Cross/ZMS RS coilovers 996 Brembo BBK w/ CSL/ZCP Rotors F+R Volk OG TE37 Bronze Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 265/35/18
OE CSL trunk OE LED taillights Llumar Air 80 Tint

Next
Fikse FM10 18" custom build VCSL bumper JCSL Diffuser GC Weight Jackers
Jump to top lippstuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-19-2019, 12:12:11 PM   #19
tjkenny15

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
Honestly, this is an easy decision...*que waiting for Ian's reply confirming this*

For what you described, you want the Supersprint Street muffler. DONE.

My recommendation, if you can hold off for a few more weeks, jump on the Group-Buy that I am working on. Supersprint and I have teamed up to offer an exclusive dual branded set of oversized mufflers, modeled after the one-off custom Supersprint muffler that I am running. These will be completely exclusive and offered no where else. We will be offering custom oversized versions of their flagship mufflers (Street, Sport, Race) to compliment the new Supersprint Twin-Piped section 2 and will feature 63.5mm piping and 65mm internal muffler piping. The Street version, like mine will have special race tips for a more aggressive look (compared to the standard Street muffler tips) and a few other neat features that I will mention at a later date. These mufflers will also have a flow capacity to support 513hp...so you won't have to worry about any flow restrictions or outgrowing it with future mods.

I am running the prototype of this now and it's fantastic. I think the Street muffler version would be perfect in your case if you want the airbox induction noises to be at the forefront of auditory pleasure.

The Sport would be another good recommendation if you want a little more volume from the exhaust -- But the Street is pretty damn ideal. Don't let name "Street" put you off -- It's a potent combination on this car -- Especially when paired with a complete exhaust system like what you have going on.

With my setup:
-Supersprint V1 Headers
-Supersprint Catless Oversized Section 1
-Supersprint Twin-Piped Oversized Resonated Section 2
-Superprint Custom Oversized Street Muffler

I have ZERO in cabin drone and next to no intruding rasp (my RE El Diablo had mild/moderate drone on the interstate and embarrassing rasp at cold start for the first few minutes). The tone of my current setup from behind the car is nice, deep, and throaty...It sounds tough (surprisingly so, and not at all anemic like I expected when switching over the the quieter Street setup). Although with the windows rolled up or during casual driving, the exhaust is barely audible compared to the airbox which overshouts it. With windows rolled up, dare I say I can't hear my exhaust over my airbox. From the cabin, it's a very clean and refined noise coming from the airbox (since the exhaust isn't competing with the tone) and really showcases the beautiful noises of the airbox at all RPMs -- sounds very GT3-esque in that regard.

Having recently heard a Scorza in person -- It too is a great sounding muffler. Certainly on a louder level though. Fortunately, the tone of the Scorza and airbox are similar enough that the two sort of blend in well together as you go from lower RPM (exhaust noises) to upper RPM (airbox noises) so it doesn't really sound like the muffler is competing with the airbox -- they sort of blend together nicely. That being said, I think with the Scorza there is more of a 50/50 split of exhaust/airbox noises depending on what RPM you are at and how open the throttle bodies are. I think the Supersprint Sport would be closest to this as well and also a nice option if you want a little more coming from the back of the car. With the Supersprint Street, it's more like 85-90% induction noise and 15-10% exhaust. What I like about the actual sound of the Street, it eliminates all the unwanted droney noises of louder mufflers and retains all the refined and exotic tones that I like...but at a volume level that isn't embarrassing or obnoxious for everyday driving. Put the pedal down and the car is LOUD (but that's the airbox).

Another thing I like about my exhaust setup, which was unexpected. On decel. downshifts, I still get exhaust burbles and rumbles (I don't have the pops and bang tune)...I honestly thought the RE El Diablo was the reason I had them before. Playing cat-and-mouse with a 335i last night and pulling up to a light next to him, my car greeted him with a wicked downshift throttle blip that included the wondrous roars of the airbox and rumbles and burbles from the exhaust....it was intoxicating and met with thumbs up from the other driver. The Street muffler can and does absolutely still sound "tough" without being overly loud in volume. While the exhaust volume is more in line with the stock muffler, the tones it produces are far and away tougher sounding than the cheesy stock muffler tin-can/sewing machine noises. No comparison there.

My recommendation and perhaps I am biased (but at least I do what I preach) is to go with either the new custom oversized Supersprint Street or Sport versions I am about to release. Thank me later when you no longer have to think about exhaust optimization afterwards.

Cold Start Idling Noise:
Supersprint Custom Oversized Exhaust E46 M3 -- Cold-Start - YouTube

Brief Windows Up and then Windows Down rev -- I should really redo this:

Supersprint Custom Exhaust System E46 M3 -- Quick Rev -- Windows up, then Down - YouTube

Acceleration with Windows Halfway Down:
Supersprint Custom Exhaust System E46 M3 -- Acceleration Sounds - YouTube
Supersprint Custom Exhaust System - E46 M3 - YouTube

Here is a pull from 2nd all the way to redlining 5th gear. Windows all the way up (with windows down, you would just hear the sound of air rushing into the car at these speeds)...With windows up, all you hear is incredible airbox sounds. Perhaps the fastest I've ever been in my car:
CSL Airbox 2nd - 5th Gear Redline Pull - YouTube
(disregard the GPS talking)

If you would like, I can get some recordings of what the exhaust sounds like from behind/outside of the car. But from what you described as wanting from the airbox -- This is the perfect setup in my opinion. You will add a little more weight back to the car, but directly over the rear wheels which is the ideal location...and paired with the twin-piped section 2, you should see a nice gain in performance along with it -- which is an added bonus.

*all recordings were done with my iPhone 6 Plus

EDIT:

With all this in mind, the setup I am recommending ticks all these boxes without needing to compromise. (which is exactly why I chose it for my own car).
Wow i love that sound! No rush to purchase anything, just kinda window shopping at the moment. Very clearly can hear the airbox and it sounds as though you can gain some decent power, as well. Looking forward to seeing what pricing is looking like

The Street with the Race tips looks beautiful. Sound is exactly what I'd be looking for. Its hard to rock a loud exhaust in Northern Virginia and with the recent airbox install, I'd be happy with something quality like this.
Old Fri, Apr-19-2019, 12:17:15 PM   #20
tjkenny15

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by walid.m3 View Post
Hey bro,

Here's my opinion after a few setups.
Quieter setups:

1. Active Autowerke was a very quiet exhaust and I have a sound clip. Tips look sexy on the CSL diffuser.

2. I have UUC mid pipes aka sec 1 and 2 which are there for rasp elimination and it makes my car quiet.

I have sound clips for both... I'm here to help and your local. I did put an agency power exhaust with UUC mid pipes and catless headers to wake it up a bit.
I'll have to check out your setup sometime, you're in Chantilly, right? I'm a town over in Ashburn.