BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006) > Coding and Tuning
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Coding and Tuning Discuss all avenues of coding and tuning here!

Old Thu, Aug-18-2016, 03:24:36 PM   #1
SliM3

In the garage:

United States

Default Global Fuel Factor: Definitive & Final Guide to Calbrating MSS54 for Larger Injectors

Greetings all:

I have made quite a bit of posts in the past in regards to using the global fuel factor (K_TI_GA) to accommodate larger injectors, or to increase flow rate of stock injectors for use of 50/50 mix 93 & E85. Though I was working with this scalar on a very limited basis, and making minor adjustments to accommodate very small flow rate changes, it wasn't until working with my large injectors that I realized exactly how this adjustment is calculated in the background.

I will try to explain it in this thread, but please be forewarned, I'm not a binary guru so for the guys that are, please excuse my terminology if it is not the industry standard. Please correct me as well, as that arms me with more "key words" to search-out and learn about.

So just to recap the operation of the global fuel factor; It is a multiplicative scalar that is calculated after all other fueling factors have been determined, and affects the final injector pulse width (PW). This is an across the board change, so by making changes to the factor you are adjusting everything from starting PW, after-start PW, to warm-up PW, to idle, to cruise, to WOT

Now here's where all the binary math gets to be a little crazy! Well, at least I had to change my mindset when working with binary math. Probably nothing new to the experts. LOL
As mentioned, the multiplicative global factor is neutral at "1". If we were to add fuel, say 1.25, the binary math operation (multiplying) remains the same, and you pretty much increase fuel flow linearly.
Now, when we take fuel away we have to input a decimal, and this where the binary math changes. Because binary doesn't work with fractional numbers (decimals), it has to make sign changes in order to calculate; i.e. changing the operand from a positive number to a negative number.
So in essence if you want to take 40% out of the injector PW, you would think setting the factor to 0.60 would be the target you're after (1 - 40% = 0.60). Big hand on big buzzer button. WROOOOOONNNGGG!!

What we need to do is calculate fuel mass flow rates for the stock injectors and your new injectors, using some information that's already available to us in the DME. Let's start:

F U E L I N J E C T O R M A S S F L O W R A T E S
The stock injectors flow 257cc/min (Information provided by MEPEH Injectors). We need to convert this to mass flow rate, down to the mg per msec. Then we must account for the increased flow rate due to 5-bar fuel pressure. I use Witch Hunter Fuel Injector Calcs..

Our stock injectors have a final fuel mass flow rate of 31.6 lbs/hr. We need to break this down to mg/msecs. For this, I just use the conversion and calculator apps on my phone.
  • 31.6 lbs/hr = 14,333,519 mg/hr
  • 14,333,519 / 60 minutes = 238,892 mg/min
  • 238,892 / 60,000 msecs = 4 mg/msec

Let's use my 1100cc injectors:
  • 135.3 lbs.hr = 61,371,048 mg/hr
  • 61,371,048 / 60 minutes = 1,022,850 mg/min
  • 1,022,850 / 60,000 msecs = 17 mg/msec

Now that we have our flow rates, we need to figure out what the fuel requirements are for the engine, based on what's commanded by the DME. The best way to determine this is to use the start factor (K_TI_START). Even though this is actually your "raw" cranking PW, when the global factor is set to "1", it still gives us an idea of what the fuel flow requirements should be.

F U E L M A S S F L O W R A T E R E Q U I R E M E N T
  • 9.7 msecs * 4mg/msec
  • Cranking fuel mass flow = 39 mg

Now that we have the fuel requirement, we can figure out the equivalent PW requirement for our new larger injectors.
  • 39 mg / new injector flow rate
  • 39 / 17 = 2.3 msec PW for 1100cc injectors

Remember how I said the binary math changes when dealing with decimals?? Follow along:

We take our new PW of 2.3 msec and divide that by the start factor 9.7. That will give us a percentage of reduction, so to speak.
  • 2.3 / 9.7 = 0.24

Naturally, you would think 0.24 is your final global factor! But again, that crazy math requires us to make the "sign" change to find THE REAL value to set.
  • 0.24 - 1 = -0.76

Since the sign change happens behind the scenes in the DME program, your final factor for running 1100cc injectors will actually be 0.76 K_TI_GA, w/out the negative.

To back check your math, convert the global factor to a percentage (0.76*100 = 76%). Now take that percentage and subtract it from the start factor.
  • 9.7 - 76% = 2.3 msec cranking PW

Keep in mind that your new global factor will be applied to pretty much all factors controlling fuel injection. So in essence if you're just dropping in larger injectors with no other changes, you should see the same AFR's as stock, and you'll alleviate the need to address individual maps to make the injectors work.

Of course you can fine tune by setting your cruise map to "1" (14.7), setting all the additional factors to "1" so they don't make any corrections, and datalog AFR's. If you over or undershoot your target just make your little adjustments, and bam, you're injectors are now calibrated to your DME.

If you're looking to run 100% E85, just add anywhere from +35% to +42% to the fuel mass flow requirement (39 mg), and do your calculations from that; i.e 39 + 42% = 55 mg
  • 55 mg / 17 mg-msecs = 3.2 msec requirement for E85
  • (3.2 / 9.7) - 1 = 0.67 K_TI_GA

I hope this explains it somewhat clearly.

///M3 '06 Carbon Black

DEMOCRACY is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
LIBERTY is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

- Checksum corrections for modified DME partial & full bin files

- CSL SMG Engine Parameters (DME) by Slim

- Fuel adaptations explained

- Checksum Verification

Last edited by SliM3; Thu, Aug-18-2016 at 03:34:10 PM.
Jump to top SliM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Aug-24-2016, 01:54:00 PM   #2
332ijunkie
tightflops...

Default Re: Global Fuel Factor: Definitive & Final Guide to Calbrating MSS54 for Larger Injec

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliM3 View Post

I hope this explains it somewhat clearly.
Brilliant as always

Tuning & Service
Jump to top 332ijunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Aug-27-2016, 12:52:32 AM   #3
BBRTuning

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Global Fuel Factor: Definitive & Final Guide to Calbrating MSS54 for Larger Injec

Is there an editable table for injector response time/offset? Should be vs. system voltage at the very least. The above should work to rescale injector pulse for medium and full load, but likely the idle and light throttle fueling will be off due to different injector response time.
///BBRTuning | 2001 LSB M3 6MT | AEM Infinity | JE 11.5/Carillo S54 | Streamline CSL box | Dbilas 288/280 cams | Moton 3WR rear coilover, 700/500 | Stoptech Trophy BBK 6F/4R | Slicer-spec BBS RIA Japan 18x10.5 et22 (x4) | 4.10 | Turner monoball FCAB/RTABs | Turner lower-rear + Wisefab upper arms | Z3 rack | Lang Racing CF roof | full interior 3310lb wet
-- @bbrtuning --
Jump to top BBRTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Aug-27-2016, 04:28:10 AM   #4
SliM3

In the garage:

United States

BBR:
There is, but you have to disable idle sync for the parameters to take effect.

As far as changing idle AFR's, there is a simple scalar that does just that. However, the global factor will pull the idle PW's down as well. Too low IMHO!! I'll post that scalar when I get back to the grind in a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

///M3 '06 Carbon Black

DEMOCRACY is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
LIBERTY is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

- Checksum corrections for modified DME partial & full bin files

- CSL SMG Engine Parameters (DME) by Slim

- Fuel adaptations explained

- Checksum Verification
Jump to top SliM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-07-2017, 09:58:27 PM   #5
MartynT

In the garage:

United Kingdom

Hey Brian,

I hope you're well!

I've just been running through the calcs above but I can't seem to make them work.

Here are my workings:

Injector Specs:

38.1 lb/hr / 288031.15 mg/min / 4.8 mg/msec

Fuel Requirement

39 / 4.8 = 8.125 msecs

New PW / Start factor (9.7)

8.125 / 9.7 = 0.838

Signed Value

0.838 - 1 = -0.162

Now doesnt a K_TI_GA value of 0.16 seems a little on the low side or have I missed something obvious?
Jump to top MartynT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, May-04-2019, 06:48:12 PM   #6
romano21

United States

Hello slim3 I do not understand how your factor for E85 is smaller than your factor with SP93

You say K_TI_GA 0.76 for SP93
and 0.67 for E85 it is not correct.

when K_TI_GA is smaller the car becomes leaner.

and for E85 you need more fuel

with your calculation and my injectors 850cc for 43.5psi
I get everything to fix K_TI_GA 0.70 so this figure is smaller than yours when it should be bigger.

I work a lot on Bosch ME3.8.3 VAG 1.8Turbo and for find factor I just use cross product the original factor is 1 also.

for example
original injector 260cc
new injector 630cc

I do 260 / 630 x 1 = 0.412 I just add 35% to 0.412 for E85 then I disable O2 regulation and I start my adjustment with this base. it's very simple and i get very good result in this way.

I do not understand exactly how you do it.
Jump to top romano21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-05-2019, 02:04:15 PM   #7
geargrndr
Working for Nefarious Porpoises

United States

You are missing a big chunk of what he's saying.

Slim does a really good job on most of the explanation but I think he has a slight terminology glitch:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliM3 View Post
We take our new PW of 2.3 msec and divide that by the start factor 9.7. That will give us a percentage of reduction, so to speak.
  • 2.3 / 9.7 = 0.24

Naturally, you would think 0.24 is your final global factor! But again, that crazy math requires us to make the "sign" change to find THE REAL value to set.
  • 0.24 - 1 = -0.76
So I think his lingo is a bit confusing.

Actually the 24% isn't the 'reduction'.
Its the actual magnitude of the new pulse compared to the original.

Aka: "the new injectors only need 24% of the pulse that the old ones did".

Doing the additional calculation to get the inverse - 76% ...
Now that DOES give you the reduction.

Aka: "reduce the specified pulse by 76% for these injectors" is what that means.

And since the value is for a reduction, then a smaller value = more mass and a larger value = less mass, which is why he shows a smaller 'reduction' value for E.

I can't comment on if this is the best way to accomplish injector scaling or if there's not some other problem but assuming Slim has it right, that's what he is trying to say, and maybe that helps clarify.
1999 Cherokee Sport 4L (trailer-hitched in-law loaner bomber)

Recently Former...
1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

Last edited by geargrndr; Sun, May-05-2019 at 02:08:11 PM.
Jump to top geargrndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-05-2019, 03:01:04 PM   #8
ctres

United States

IIRC there is a parameter called qstat, which should be injector static flow rate. I haven't tried it myself but I believe you should be able to adjust qstat rather than changing the global fuel multiplier. That multiplier is probably there as a development tool and was not really intended to be used in the final cal.

I've brought this up before and posted in more detail but got no response. If someone has interest in this I can try to dig up my old post.
Jump to top ctres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-05-2019, 03:24:51 PM   #9
geargrndr
Working for Nefarious Porpoises

United States

Cool. I was wondering about that. But its always tricky until somebody has really tested a parameter though - BMW/Bosch/Siemens/everybody will often leave junk lying around that can be 'unused' in various programs. Ideally somebody running big injector E setup confirms that they are using that approach and that is the way to go...

The other point that is important to re-state is that the latency tables should be updated with any injector changes.
1999 Cherokee Sport 4L (trailer-hitched in-law loaner bomber)

Recently Former...
1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

Jump to top geargrndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-05-2019, 07:22:29 PM   #10
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctres View Post
IIRC there is a parameter called qstat, which should be injector static flow rate. I haven't tried it myself but I believe you should be able to adjust qstat rather than changing the global fuel multiplier. That multiplier is probably there as a development tool and was not really intended to be used in the final cal.

I've brought this up before and posted in more detail but got no response. If someone has interest in this I can try to dig up my old post.
I want to say that's one of the parameters that appears in the funktionsrahmen, but not found in the production code.
Jump to top terraphantm is offline   Reply With Quote