BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Aug-02-2016, 01:16:30 AM   #11
Mach Tuck

United States

Default Re: Electric fan upgrade

I have spal mounted to stock shroud. Super easy with the spal bracket. Have had zero issues with cooling. I'm in Phoenix where summer temps are currently 110+.
Jump to top Mach Tuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Aug-02-2016, 03:04:46 AM   #12
OneFastSicilian
Frankie

In the garage:

Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach Tuck View Post
I have spal mounted to stock shroud. Super easy with the spal bracket. Have had zero issues with cooling. I'm in Phoenix where summer temps are currently 110+.
What else did you buy besides the spal fan?

Previous:
  • 01 - AW/IR - Sold
  • 03.5 - IR/Impulse - Sold
  • 02 - TiAg/Blk - Sold
  • 05 - IB/Blk ZCP - Sold
  • 02 - LSB/Blk - Sold
  • 05 - SG/Blk - Current!
Check out my Journal!

*Instagram*
@OneFastSicilian
Jump to top OneFastSicilian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-02-2016, 12:35:16 PM   #13
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFastSicilian View Post
What else did you buy besides the spal fan?
Mine came with 4 mounting brackets that I was going to use to mount to the stock shroud - then just use the aux fan controller and hook it up to the Spal fan. I'm hoping it's that easy...
Jump to top CrookedCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-03-2016, 04:56:19 PM   #14
midnighted

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM09 View Post
Just had the Mish fan kit installed yesterday. No issues, fits perfect, looks good, lifetime warranty. I was thinking about if for a while and I couldn't find a reason to not do this kit.

On the way home I drove thru some stop and go traffic in 95+ temps with no issues. Temp gauge stayed dead center the whole time.

ECS has a good price. But I found on ebay - brand new in the box from a dealer - for 30 bucks less.

I will back what he is saying. I also have a mish fan kit and like above it is a great setup. No issues, wires in easy enough and looks good.
Jump to top midnighted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-05-2019, 09:16:57 PM   #15
S54VAGE

United States

Bump.. looking for current consensus on best fan solution for our cars. The mish one is tempting because the kit includes everything you need... Reviewing a lot of older threads like this one there doesn't seem to be consensus on what is best? Is factory solution best?

Aside from preventative maintenance is the performance gain really worthwhile? Anyone have good data points?

Thanks
Old Sat, Jan-05-2019, 09:33:39 PM   #16
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

I did it because the mechanical fan broke a blade and took out my radiator. I hated that.. I mounted it to my stock shroud and did my own wiring. Easy. I noticed instantly the car drives different. Has more torque from a stand still in low rpms. When the mechanical fan locks it definately robs u from some power. That never happens with an electric fan. As far as data, I had a before and after dyno. No difference that I could detect in peak power. The mechanical fan disengages at 4.5k rpm or so, but the car drives different around town and picks up much better, but you wouldn't see it on a dyno, unless ur clutch fan was locked and that usually doesn't happen on a dyno with the car cool and fans blowing air in front of it.
Motor trend did an episode on fans of all sorts and viscous clutch fan robbed the engine from significant power. But my dyno sessions didn't show a difference.
In conclusion, I wouldn't go back to a mechanical fan unless I'm Turbo or supercharged, as the mechanical fan does cool better

PM for performance tune requests
Mods:
-Custom CF airbox
-SSV2 catless headers(with a modified collector extention), Custom 2.5" dual sec1, Custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3..
-Cat Cams 280 272.
-Custom dyno tune
-Tms pulleys and electric fan conversion
385.7 whp 288 wtq

Custom exhaust thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=569086
Cams thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=554439
Custom cf airbox thread http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=595180
Why not to use after market bearings with surfacetreatments and /or increased clearance
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...4&postcount=10
Jump to top HassanEido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-05-2019, 11:21:07 PM   #17
CSLM3Wannabi

In the garage:

United States

I went with the 330i 400 watt electric fan option and got rid of both the aux fan and fan clutch. Iím supercharged and this is a factory part (which Iím a big fan of). I run just under half on the gauge at all times. Itís amazing...
2005 BMW M3 ZCP Nardo Gray | ESS VT2-550 | Dinan Throttle Bodies | 6MT Swap | Active Autowerkes Headers + Section 1 w/ 100 cells | Miltek Section 2 and 3 | KW V2 w/ GC camber plates and Eibach Front and Rear Swaybars | Porsche 996 BBK upgrade w/ OEM ZCP rotors | Umnitza V4 Angel Eyes | Euro bumper w/ Morimoto led fogs | 1 piece Carbon Lip | VIS XTS Full carbon hood | SCZA Carbon Fiber CSL Trunk | Carbon Fiber CSL Diffuser | Square ZCP Wheels |
Jump to top CSLM3Wannabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-05-2019, 11:40:49 PM   #18
M3AZ
///M3AZ

In the garage:

United States

Running a Mishimoto with the clutch fan, aux fan, and AC deleted. I like that it’s simpler and lighter than the factory setup, plus it’s a lot easier to do maintenance without the fan and shroud in the way. I went with the Mishimoto over the alternatives because it’s basically plug and play.

I didn’t have any cooling issues before, so I can’t say whether it helps in that regard. The fan rarely comes during normal driving, and even on track the temp gauge stays below half all the time.

I haven’t noticed any increase in performance.
Jump to top M3AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-05-2019, 11:52:49 PM   #19
nogoodname
Taking a dump

Canada

I have a Mishimoto fan in my car. It was pretty easy to install and does the job. Can’t complain.
Old Sun, Jan-06-2019, 12:56:56 AM   #20
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

I got the mounting bracket from mishimoto, will use a different fan tho (something that has stronger cfm, mishimoto has 1650cfm if I remember it right)
Jump to top erickrayos is online now   Reply With Quote