BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Mar-09-2016, 07:36:03 AM   #31
alexmet

United Kingdom

Default Re: Upgrading MK20 to MK60 DSC Module?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlag View Post

Thanks buddy
Jump to top alexmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Mar-12-2016, 10:03:40 PM   #32
alexmet

United Kingdom

Just put the car together this afternoon and took it for a test run, so far so good. MK20 to MK60 appears to be successful, had a CAN error pop up in the MK60 error log a couple times, have a feeling that might have not soldered one of the wires properly but will test further and see. Overall as others mentioned the wiring was the hardest part. Also getting hold of all the bits wasn't easy but got lucky in the end.

In short the main reasons are:
1) M track mode
2) Code for a different a steering ratio(due to upgrade from standard steering rack to purple). Since steering ration changed the traction control is very confused going on the track. You can change from 1:15.4 to 1:14:5(CSL) which is a closer match to purple 1:13.7
3) Better ABS settings for bigger brakes(AP racing) since you can change settings to CSL brakes. No match for AP racing but closer match than standard M3.

All the changes are for track purpose only.

Taking the car to bedford autodrome (shame Brands is fully booked already) on Monday for a track test, I will write a review of how MK60 feels versus MK20.
Old Sun, Mar-13-2016, 07:16:36 AM   #33
e36man

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by beedub View Post
i recently coded M-Trak mode on it, light and everything is present on the car, good to know the info, sound like its a superior unit to the csl unit anyhow.. the hill hold is a nice feature for sure.
Can you explain how you added hill hold?

I thought this was something that only the new BMW's had (F30, etc).

Also, is your car a manual transmission?

The Golden Rule of Wheels: Strong, cheap, light... pick two.
2004 Individual Estoril M3 - M-Textur - Moton - Recaro A8 - FIKSE - Supersprint V1 Catted - Lightwerkz - Z4MC Rack - Solar Power Sunroof
Jump to top e36man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-13-2016, 08:40:30 AM   #34
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36man View Post
Can you explain how you added hill hold?

I thought this was something that only the new BMW's had (F30, etc).

Also, is your car a manual transmission?
He has a Z4M. Those have a different DSC module which supports hill hold. Unknown as to whether or not that module would work in an E46
Jump to top terraphantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-28-2016, 10:13:48 AM   #35
alexmet

United Kingdom

Just a quick update to say that we have completed the retrofit and tried MK60 at Brands and Bedford and can say with confidence that it makes a lot of difference vs MK20. It is a massive improvement for our car. I can't say for sure if ABS is better or not but it feels different where you have to be more progressive with applying brakes. However even when DSC fully on is no where near as intrusive as MK20 and much more smooth when balancing the car through corners. Still need to test M-track a bit more to fully understand it, it seems to give you a little bit more slip coming out of the corners however it reduces the stability control a fair amount. Overall I recommend it to those who want to have an option of DSC on a track but stuck with older MK20 unit especially if you have done upgrades to brakes and steering rack.
Old Mon, Mar-28-2016, 02:31:03 PM   #36
irlag

Russian Federation

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmet View Post
Just a quick update to say that we have completed the retrofit and tried MK60 at Brands and Bedford and can say with confidence that it makes a lot of difference vs MK20. It is a massive improvement for our car. I can't say for sure if ABS is better or not but it feels different where you have to be more progressive with applying brakes. However even when DSC fully on is no where near as intrusive as MK20 and much more smooth when balancing the car through corners. Still need to test M-track a bit more to fully understand it, it seems to give you a little bit more slip coming out of the corners however it reduces the stability control a fair amount. Overall I recommend it to those who want to have an option of DSC on a track but stuck with older MK20 unit especially if you have done upgrades to brakes and steering rack.

I experienced the same feelings when put mk60 in my car!!!
Сongratulations!!!
Jump to top irlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-28-2016, 08:21:47 PM   #37
admranger
Registered troublemaker

United States

What's the approximate cost to do this mod? Sounds like a nice one to have.

Sadly sold: 11 E90 M3, Melbourne/Black/Fox Red/Black, 6MT, roof, PP2, heated seats, Eibach Pro Kit, GC Street camber plates, Arc-8's, Technic harness, JL XD 600/6
'16 X5 40e Mineral White/Black Dakota Leather, ZLL, ZCW, ZDA, ZDB, ZPP, side shades, multi contour seats, HK stereo
19 X3M40i, Carbon/Oyster
18 330i xdrive GT, Mineral White/Black
Jump to top admranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-28-2016, 11:33:26 PM   #38
alexmet

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlag View Post

I experienced the same feelings when put mk60 in my car!!!
Сongratulations!!!
Thanks for your help on this. Very pleased!
Old Mon, Mar-28-2016, 11:53:58 PM   #39
alexmet

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
What's the approximate cost to do this mod? Sounds like a nice one to have.
It depends how lucky you gonna get in finding all the bits for it. We have managed to find a guy on ebay who was selling MK60 DSC module together brake master cylinder and reservoir. Contracted him directly to check if he has other bits and it turned out that his was braking an M3 for parts after an accident. So managed to pick all the bits except wheel sensors for 200 ($285). Had to get a few brake pipes and brake unions to extend the pipes to the new location(we actually ended up rerunning all brake line but just to extend them it would have cost around $40). We already had a full e46 (non m3) spare harness already to cuts bits of wires out to extend the harness length(we wanted to keep the original wire colours but there are other options to get generic wires for probably around $20-30). New brake fluid (around $20). We wanted to get OEM wheel speed sensors so managed to get them for around $70) In terms of effort, rewiring the plug took the longest. Had to mod the original MK60 mounting bracket a bit to fit into a new location. Another thing we needed to get extra from BMW is a new MK60 style vacuum line(around $45) from the brake servo(you can mod the old one but it is not a great fit). So if we didn't rerun all the brake lines(probably an extra $50) it would have cost us a total of $500. However we are still to sell the MK20 bits, those are rare so hopefully might make some of the money back.
Old Thu, Jun-29-2017, 10:37:30 AM   #40
Youngblood750

Bump..
Wow it amazed me. My M3 was produced in 2001. So I believed that M track mode is not possible for my M3. but if I get mk60 unit and so other extra parts, then it is possible to have M track mode on my M3?? That will be amazing!

I went to track day. It was firts track day for me and of course I am very beginer. So I kept the DSC ON while I am driving on the track. However abs kicked in almost ever corner if I push it a little harder. Yet I dont have great skill and neither have experience, so prefer to have DSC on, so M track mode will be great for me. But my car is 2001. Well, it is great to know that it's possible.

Last edited by Youngblood750; Thu, Jun-29-2017 at 12:00:28 PM.
Jump to top Youngblood750 is offline   Reply With Quote