BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Jul-11-2016, 07:45:34 AM   #1
nascar_acj

In the garage:

United States

Default '05 SMG M3 Wouldn't Shift Into 6th at low speed?

Okay, I'm losing my mind.

I'm one of those people who trots along in a higher gear even while going slow. I've been driving my '05 M3 for 4 1/2 years now and I cannot recall a time it didnt go into 6th around 35 mph (insane, I know, leave me alone)

Today driving along I was going about 35-40 and it wouldn't shift into 6th, but downshifted normally, upshifted back to 5th normally, etc. It wasn't until I really accelerated suddenly and got up to about 40-45 that I was able to shift into 6th. I should add, this happened about 3 mins after the SMG stalled while going over a low slope and coming to a stop trying to exit a parking lot. It hasn't stalled much at all lately, but in serious heat (like now, help) it will typically stall about once a month in reverse very slow or a drive-thru, so basically 3 times a year or so. Nothing significant.

So since everything seems that it's okay other than that weird moment, just wondering, what's the lowest speed for 6th gear? I though 30 mph was when you could engage it, but I obviously haven't been paying attention for 4 1/2 dang years.

Sorry for the silly question, but it led me to just wanting to know a few more facts about it. Thanks in advance.
Jump to top nascar_acj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Jul-11-2016, 02:15:14 PM   #2
BTB

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: '05 SMG M3 Wouldn't Shift Into 6th at low speed?

Why exactly do you want to be in 6th at such a low speed? I usually keep my cruising revs above 2k rpm (probably around 50mph in 6th), do you not feel like you're asking too much from the engine @ 35mph in 6th?

I'm not really sure what smg allows and doesn't when it comes to this, so I can't help you there, but it just seems unnecessary to be in 6th that early.
Jump to top BTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-11-2016, 02:40:35 PM   #3
Steezy

United States

The SMG doesn't allow you to shift into certain gears at certain speeds. In this case - it's telling you you are going way too slow to shift to 6th gear.

That should tell you something right there - you don't need to be in 6th gear at 35mph
Old Mon, Jul-11-2016, 03:32:08 PM   #4
tjkenny15

In the garage:

United States

6th gear at 35mph is great if you want to get a worse mpg.
Jump to top tjkenny15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-11-2016, 03:33:43 PM   #5
idriveastick

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steezy View Post
The SMG doesn't allow you to shift into certain gears at certain speeds. In this case - it's telling you you are going way too slow to shift to 6th gear.
But he's done it this way for 4 years...?

Quote:
That should tell you something right there - you don't need to be in 6th gear at 35mph
Who says? I always drive in 5th or 6th around town if I'm on a long road where I won't hit any lights, regardless of speed. Idle power from a motor at 35-40 in 5th/6th is enough to keep it moving. If you were to want to accelerate, then downshift. However, I see absolutely no problem in 5th/6th doing 35.

15xx rpm at 40mph in 6th on 19" wheels...

http://www.bokchoys.com/differential...calculator.htm

Last edited by idriveastick; Mon, Jul-11-2016 at 03:43:12 PM.
Jump to top idriveastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-11-2016, 03:44:32 PM   #6
cowboyM3
Banned

United States

Don't get me wrong, the S54 has a strong bottom end, and it's okay to be in a high gear at low speeds for low rpm, however if your in high gear at 35 for example and go WOT at 1000rpm-1500 and you're barely accelerating or going up a hill and slowing down while WOT you are lugging the engine. Not necessarily a bad thing but prolonged use can stress your bottom end ie rod bearings.. Again, the S54 has great bottom end high gear loading, but it's no 6.7 cummins.
Jump to top cowboyM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-11-2016, 03:45:25 PM   #7
idriveastick

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyM3 View Post
Don't get me wrong, the S54 has a strong bottom end, and it's okay to be in a high gear at low speeds for low rpm, however if your in high gear at 35 for example and go WOT at 1000rpm-1500 and you're barely accelerating or going up a high and slowing down while WOT you are lugging the engine. Not necessarily a bad thing but prolonged use can stress your bottom end ie rod bearings.. Again, the S54 has great bottom end high gear loading, but it's no 6.7 cummins.
As mentioned, I think if you want to accelerate then you'd downshift, which anyone should know if they're driving either 6MT or SMG.
Old Mon, Jul-11-2016, 03:53:26 PM   #8
nascar_acj

In the garage:

United States

Saw a "he" in there, so I'll point out I'm a girl.
Maybe that explains everything right there.

Anyways, no clue why I drive around in such a high gear at low speeds. It's just always cruised right along in 6th around 40 mph that I can recall, so yesterday when my 6 didnt appear I thought the car was about to shit itself. Of course, this comes after it overheating big time in traffic last week out of no where. That was fun.

My car is a proven hypochondriac. I have the right to be concerned about everything.
Old Mon, Jul-11-2016, 03:56:00 PM   #9
nascar_acj

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by idriveastick View Post
As mentioned, I think if you want to accelerate then you'd downshift, which anyone should know if they're driving either 6MT or SMG.
Yes, whenever I want to accelerate I downshift, that includes when turning without stopping, I drop down to 3rd or 4th them make my way back up through gears. I can honestly say the car never feels like its having to force itself while in 6th gear. It's always felt very smooth.

Then again, the car is possessed, so what can I say.
Old Mon, Jul-11-2016, 04:50:07 PM   #10
idriveastick

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascar_acj View Post
Saw a "he" in there, so I'll point out I'm a girl.
Maybe that explains everything right there.

Anyways, no clue why I drive around in such a high gear at low speeds. It's just always cruised right along in 6th around 40 mph that I can recall, so yesterday when my 6 didnt appear I thought the car was about to shit itself. Of course, this comes after it overheating big time in traffic last week out of no where. That was fun.

My car is a proven hypochondriac. I have the right to be concerned about everything.
Sorry, I meant no offense by "he." I simply meant it as "person," "they," "the owner," etc.