BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Aug-29-2010, 03:46:50 AM   #21
Skyfire

United States

Some updates since my last post. I took the car to a different indi mechanic (Strickly BMW), and the guy there told me to replace the relay first as well (apparently there is a recall on these). He also said, if the car shifts fine and you get a FC056, most likely it's the relay and not the accumulator. If the accumulator goes bad, the car won't be able to shift into gear. They only charge $450 for replacing the accumulator, since their mechanic apparently found a way to swap it out without removing the intake manifold.

If my accumulator eventually goes, I'll take it to these guys for repairs for sure.
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Oct-21-2010, 08:54:02 PM   #22
rzawreckta

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
Some updates since my last post. I took the car to a different indi mechanic (Strickly BMW), and the guy there told me to replace the relay first as well (apparently there is a recall on these). He also said, if the car shifts fine and you get a FC056, most likely it's the relay and not the accumulator. If the accumulator goes bad, the car won't be able to shift into gear. They only charge $450 for replacing the accumulator, since their mechanic apparently found a way to swap it out without removing the intake manifold.

If my accumulator eventually goes, I'll take it to these guys for repairs for sure.
Any update on this??? I now have the SMG light and I just received word from Bellevue BMW that I have a software issue and the SMG software neesd to be reinstalled then tested to see if it fixes the problem.
Jump to top rzawreckta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-18-2011, 08:13:57 PM   #23
roderickm

United States

Default Re: SMG Replacing Just the Accumulator

My 2002 M3 SMG (78k miles) began dropping into neutral, usually when attempting to shift from 2->3. Fault code was 056-38 on period, hydraulic unit. Euro Tech in Huntsville, AL ordered an accumulator, planning to replace it and the relay. Fortunately, a new relay alone seems to have resolved the trouble.

The trouble began on a rather warm spring day, but it has cooled this week. Here's hoping the symptom doesn't return as summer heats us up. BTW, I highly recommend Euro Tech for BMW service in North Alabama.
Jump to top roderickm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jan-01-2012, 08:34:18 PM   #24
tech360

United States

I'm currently diagnosing my SMG issues and was wondering if anyone knew if the "non-return valve" is part of the accumulator or part of the pump unit? I believe I may be suffering from a failed non-return valve. If that was the case, it would be nice if I only had to purchase a new accumulator.

Sorry to revive this thread, but figure it would be better to keep it on the same thread as it is a similar subject.

Thanks.
Jump to top tech360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-02-2012, 12:39:27 AM   #25
budbundy

United States

non-return valve is located inside the pump assembly.
Jump to top budbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-02-2012, 02:25:04 AM   #26
RedM3/4

United States

It is in the valve body/pump. But I believe it is more or less a check-valve, pretty much the simplest thing in the system. Doesn't mean it can't be bad, but I'd honestly expect it to be one of the most reliable pieces in the system.

ADS
Jump to top RedM3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-02-2012, 11:30:39 PM   #27
tech360

United States

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure if it is the non-return valve or one of the solenoids, but something is bleeding the pressure off of my system pretty quick.
Jump to top tech360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-29-2012, 01:10:56 PM   #28
SteveEvans

United Kingdom

There is no non-return valve in the pump itself; it's just a roots pump. This will bleed pressure if there's no such valve, obviously more with wear. There's a pressure relief valve and this may well also serve as a non-return valve. See below the part with the hex head. I've not removed it to check.

Steve
Jump to top SteveEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-30-2012, 06:26:58 AM   #29
RedM3/4

United States

Yes, that is the non-return valve to the right of the filter in your pic.
Did you have any problem with the gasket in the pump when you went to separate the halves? Don't think you'll find a replacement for it if it tears, if you DO find one, please PM me.
If you've not separated the pump, be careful to keep the gear pump gears completely oriented to the half they came out of and top to bottom. The brass bushings they ride in wear into the gear shafts and not putting them back in the same sides and with the same shaft up will cause excess wear upon re-assembly, and I can't see any way to distinguish these directions without labeling it all myself.
The one I have apart appeared pristine and the owner later confirmed a new pump didn't fix the problem; increasingly I expect the motor to be the problem.
-----
If you separated it, what did your pump look like?

ADS
Jump to top RedM3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-30-2012, 08:58:10 AM   #30
SteveEvans

United Kingdom

Seal is rubber and pretty tough. Mine came apart with no issue.

Gears can't be put in the wrong at round. One has the drive shaft input and the other has different dia shafts.

Steve
Jump to top SteveEvans is offline   Reply With Quote