BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Faults, Fixes and DIY
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Faults, Fixes and DIY Please share your experience and knowledge with other members by contributing your own DIY, or by helping another member find the elusive fix!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mon, Oct-03-2011, 09:52:30 PM   #41
lovelyfox83
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4
Reputation: 0 lovelyfox83 is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: DYI on removing Intake Manifold on SMG

The first tube you will have that is UNDER the IM is a yellow topped tube which uses two sets of ribs that you squeeze in and then pull down and out of the way.
Jump to top lovelyfox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Oct-08-2011, 09:17:25 AM   #42
The Devil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 27
Reputation: 0 The Devil is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: DYI on removing Intake Manifold on SMG

When re-installing the intake manifold. It is a really good idea to set the 63mm clamps to the ready position, and place them on the ruber part of the mainfold before pushing the manifold into place. This permits you to use your fingers to rotate the notches into the optimum position for squeezing the clamps. My first pass at this, I installed them manually from up top, and stuggled to get them back on.

Because I did not pay attention to the starter wiring.....I had issues with Battery Not Charging, so had to remove everything again, and got to the point where I am pretty good at the clamps.

I may be the only fool that did not think to place the clamps on the manifold before pushing it back into place, but thought I would point out this detail.
Jump to top The Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Dec-04-2011, 04:43:49 AM   #43
Skyfire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 103
Reputation: 0 Skyfire is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: DYI on removing Intake Manifold on SMG

I just did this in order to swap out TPS #2, now all my throttle issues are solved! This is a great DIY thread, thanks to the OP and followup posts.

While doing this, I found a few things that makes the job easier:

1) I unhooked the battery before doing everything just to be sure, though simply removing the SMG relay probably would've worked just as well. If you closed the trunk while the battery is disconnected (like I did), you can use your key to manually open it.

2) Just use a turkey sauce blaster to drain the SMG fluid from the top opening before disconnecting the hose. After I did this, not a single drop leaked when I unhooked the SMG hose. Don't forget to top it off after putting everything back together, do this BEFORE reconnecting the battery/SMG relay.

3) The oil bypass vent tube (small four pronged tube in post #8) is easier to unhook from INSIDE the IM. You can see if from the IM opening once you remove the air hose leading into the IM. Use a 5/8" hex socket (or something close to that diameter), reach inside and push down evently on the four prongs. The idea is to squeeze all four at the same time. After the prongs disengage, it's simply a matter of using your finger to push the hose out.

4) IMO, Lisle tool #30500 is a must have for this job. You can open/close the clamps with a needle nose plier, but the Lisle tool makes it so much easier. Like "The Devil" said, put the clamp on the throttle body boot before putting the IM back in, it makes live much easier. Once the clamps are in the "ready" position, you must get it into the tight lock position, because should you release the grip (like I did), the whole clamp loosens and it's a pain to try to get it back into the ready position again, even with the right tool.

5) Taking out the IM can be a bit of tight squeeze, it's easier to get the front part out first. Be careful since there are two hoses clipped on rear side of the IM, reach in between the IM and the firewall and unhook them before removing the IM from the engine bay.
__________________
2003.5 TiAg/IR Vert

Last edited by Skyfire; Sun, Dec-04-2011 at 04:48:41 AM.
Jump to top Skyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-06-2011, 06:59:53 PM   #44
djty
///Mthusiest
 
djty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 320
Reputation: 0 djty is on a distinguished road
Location: Laguna Beach

Japan




Default Re: DYI on removing Intake Manifold on SMG

I am doing the same as you Skyfire, I need to change that damn TPS.

I have a 6spd so are the hoses all the same position minus the SMG one obviously?

Also can some one give more detail as to what the "ready position" is for the clamps. Does that mean it's just some what snug on the throttle body rubber coupler???

thanks!
__________________


02' E46 M3 A/W 6spd
89' Sileighty (240sx)


CarNinja
CarNinja Instagram
DJ TY's Official Blog
Jump to top djty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Dec-25-2011, 02:13:47 AM   #45
gckbmw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 30
Reputation: 0 gckbmw is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: DYI on removing Intake Manifold on SMG

I bought CV clamp tool and mangled my clamp. They pop off with a flat head, but BMW make a tool for $300 bucks to put back on. I went with a nice stainless set that screw on. Also be sure you use Pension S11 fluid for the SMG pump. I was told that Royal purple was okay and that is WRONG! Hydro fluid only or you will damage the pump with ATF fluid.
Jump to top gckbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jan-22-2012, 06:37:09 PM   #46
skelzy
Great White
 
skelzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,194
Reputation: 0 skelzy is on a distinguished road
Location: Long Island, NY





Default Re: DYI on removing Intake Manifold on SMG

Any trick to opening and closing the butterflies so I can give them a good cleaning? Mine seem to be stuck shut and I wasn't sure if you just press on them or if there is another way. Also, I assume it's ok if some of the CRC intake cleaner drips back into the throttle bodies correct as it's designed for this? Finally, any tricks to cleaning the Idle control valve? Just unbolt and spray the same CRC Intake cleaner in there? The clamps connecting the hoses to it look like a one time use clamp so I should probably pick up a few spares... Thanks for the feedback....
__________________

2005 Coupe AW/BLK/SMG/LOADED

Last edited by skelzy; Sun, Jan-22-2012 at 09:17:35 PM.
Jump to top skelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-24-2012, 01:42:09 AM   #47
skelzy
Great White
 
skelzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,194
Reputation: 0 skelzy is on a distinguished road
Location: Long Island, NY





Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
I just did this in order to swap out TPS #2, now all my throttle issues are solved! This is a great DIY thread, thanks to the OP and followup posts.

While doing this, I found a few things that makes the job easier:

1) I unhooked the battery before doing everything just to be sure, though simply removing the SMG relay probably would've worked just as well. If you closed the trunk while the battery is disconnected (like I did), you can use your key to manually open it.

2) Just use a turkey sauce blaster to drain the SMG fluid from the top opening before disconnecting the hose. After I did this, not a single drop leaked when I unhooked the SMG hose. Don't forget to top it off after putting everything back together, do this BEFORE reconnecting the battery/SMG relay.

3) The oil bypass vent tube (small four pronged tube in post #8) is easier to unhook from INSIDE the IM. You can see if from the IM opening once you remove the air hose leading into the IM. Use a 5/8" hex socket (or something close to that diameter), reach inside and push down evently on the four prongs. The idea is to squeeze all four at the same time. After the prongs disengage, it's simply a matter of using your finger to push the hose out.

4) IMO, Lisle tool #30500 is a must have for this job. You can open/close the clamps with a needle nose plier, but the Lisle tool makes it so much easier. Like "The Devil" said, put the clamp on the throttle body boot before putting the IM back in, it makes live much easier. Once the clamps are in the "ready" position, you must get it into the tight lock position, because should you release the grip (like I did), the whole clamp loosens and it's a pain to try to get it back into the ready position again, even with the right tool.

5) Taking out the IM can be a bit of tight squeeze, it's easier to get the front part out first. Be careful since there are two hoses clipped on rear side of the IM, reach in between the IM and the firewall and unhook them before removing the IM from the engine bay.
Excellent additional info.. I thought of these exact points as I was removing the manifold.... gckbmw, curious how the screw type clamps have been working for you? Any difference or no? If no then I don't see why BMW designed these pesky earless clamps....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk....
__________________

2005 Coupe AW/BLK/SMG/LOADED
Jump to top skelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-07-2012, 04:11:12 AM   #48
bimmerfan08
Registered User
 
bimmerfan08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 27
Posts: 6,048
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 bimmerfan08 is on a distinguished road
Location: Charlotte

United States




Default Re: DYI on removing Intake Manifold on SMG

OP how durable are the CV boot clamp pliers you bought? I only ask because Lisle has another model for $4 more and it looks like it has closed handles/grips. What is the material of the grips on these pliers? Thanks
__________________
Quote:
For those apprehensive about DIYing...

"The most difficult part of figuring out a car, the engineering, has been done. Repairs and maintenance are simply taking parts apart and putting them back together again." - bimmerfan08
Jump to top bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-10-2012, 05:25:53 PM   #49
Fastdog911
Registered User
 
Fastdog911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,424
Reputation: 0 Fastdog911 has disabled reputation
Location: Overland Park

United States




Default Re: DYI on removing Intake Manifold on SMG

tool works fine... get the cheaper one.. auto zone etc.
__________________
[IMG]2002 SMG, Topaz Blue, BHS pulleys, all options. UUC Exhaust, GC Sway bars, SS lines, BHP Pads F1 paddles, GSP brake pedal, Huber Optik 20%, Iforged rims and a bunch of other things.. Sold

1970 911T Tangerine
1972 911T Albert Blue
1970 911E Ossi Blue
Jump to top Fastdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-10-2012, 09:36:36 PM   #50
bimmerfan08
Registered User
 
bimmerfan08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 27
Posts: 6,048
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 bimmerfan08 is on a distinguished road
Location: Charlotte

United States




Default Re: DYI on removing Intake Manifold on SMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastdog911 View Post
tool works fine... get the cheaper one.. auto zone etc.
Damn, I ordered the one that was a few bucks more last Monday. Oh well. Can this tool be used for a variety of clamps and clips? I think the one I bought was about $22 from amazon.com
__________________
Quote:
For those apprehensive about DIYing...

"The most difficult part of figuring out a car, the engineering, has been done. Repairs and maintenance are simply taking parts apart and putting them back together again." - bimmerfan08
Jump to top bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
dyi, intake, manifold, removing, smg

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Removing intake manifold for SMG, DIY? Fastdog911 E46 M3 (2001-2006) 14 Wed, Jul-27-2016 01:00:05 AM
Help, removing intake manifold.. Jeffxxx E46 M3 (2001-2006) 6 Sun, Jul-04-2010 02:15:54 AM
Help, removing intake manifold.. Jeffxxx Forced Induction (F/I) 1 Mon, May-26-2008 03:24:29 AM
starter problems, removing intake manifold Techno ///M3 E36 M3 (1992-1999) 2 Fri, Nov-23-2007 03:22:02 PM
Removing The VFE Intake Manifold on an E46 M3 jmciver Forced Induction (F/I) 6 Sat, Oct-13-2007 01:17:21 PM



All times are GMT. The time now is 03:17:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright 1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing DYI on removing Intake Manifold on SMG in the Faults, Fixes and DIY Forum - Please share your experience and knowledge with other members by contributing your own DIY, or by helping another member find the elusive fix! at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)