BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Feb-21-2017, 08:24:41 PM   #1
nateregouski

In the garage:

United States

Thumbs down M3 E46 SMG Clutch/Flywheel Replace - No longer in Neutral

Greetings All,

I am nearing the end of a refresh on my SMG Transmission. Replaced clutch, flywheel, clutch fork, release bearing, pilot tube, compression spring - pretty much everything in the bell housing. I did not open or touch the gearbox itself. When I put the car up it was in neutral and rotated freely. After bolting everything back on and reinstalling the slave cylinder, the trans is no longer in neutral, presumably the slave pin is not pressing the clutch fork far enough to release the clutch from the pressure plate. My questions are:

Have others had this problem?

Does the trans adaptation re-calibrate the slave pin to adjust for the new parts/tolerances?

Side question - I tried to manually push the clutch fork forward with the end of a long socket adapter but it takes a LOT of force. I can't believe the narrow pin on the slave does not give under the require pressure, but they are German engineers, I guess. How much force does it take to move the springs and release the clutch from the pressure plate.

Thanks in advance for replies.
Jump to top nateregouski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Feb-22-2017, 12:19:16 AM   #2
RedM3/4

United States

Default Re: M3 E46 SMG Clutch/Flywheel Replace - No longer in Neutral

Hate to tell you: Clutch disc is probably in backwards.
Can't tell you the force, but you were almost certainly off-angle from the angle the slave pin pushes. If you're off 45%, it would take twice the force.

ADS
Jump to top RedM3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-22-2017, 02:43:28 AM   #3
nateregouski

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedM3/4 View Post
Hate to tell you: Clutch disc is probably in backwards.
Can't tell you the force, but you were almost certainly off-angle from the angle the slave pin pushes. If you're off 45%, it would take twice the force.

ADS
Thanks Red, disk is def in the right way. I'll power it up tomorrow and suspect gear sensor sort it out before or after adaptation. I'll update with result when I know the result.
Old Thu, Feb-23-2017, 01:58:07 PM   #4
nateregouski

In the garage:

United States

Finished re-assembly last night and hooked up the battery. But the car in accessory (turn the key but not start) mode, toggled between drive and Neutral a couple of times. After a few clunks and noises the car went into Neutral fine. I then used the INPA software to re-adapt the SMG transmission. The adaptation went fine until the very end where there was a message Error 59, clutch control. When I tried to drive it the EML light came on and the car went into slug mode. So I went inside to google the errors, then went back out to further diagnose. When I turned the car back on the EML light did not come back, and the car drove fine. I'll re-run the diagnostics today but seems that after sitting for three months and the tranny work it needed to run a bit to sort out the kinks.