BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Wed, Jun-07-2017, 06:27:11 PM   #61
tsmith25

United States

Default Re: Intro to E36 M3 ownership

That is exactly what I just went through. I had the added problem of odometer roll back that I didn't know about. EVERYBODY GET A HISTORY REPORT!! I am accepting their offer today hopefully, then keeping the car and selling it. I have a deal for another one that I should break even financially, and end up with a car that has a clean history.

If that was their first offer, then you should be able to get more out of them.

I made a few different lists of comparables, and submitted them. They will find any minuscule reason not to use them though. you should have a better time than I did since you have reliable odometer history(I hope).

You should definitely point out that the one comparable is your actual car, and that means they shouldn't be adjusting anything.

you are going to have to work to get it, but you should be able to get a good settlement.
Jump to top tsmith25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Jun-07-2017, 07:54:17 PM   #62
Bimma360

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghettiM3 View Post
Just got the word that my intro to e36 M3 ownership has been cut short.

The car ended up needing $7k to repair and the insurance valued it at $8k.

They deducted $308.17 because of the tear in the drivers seat and the missing center console (David-Bimma360 is working on the console).

I highly doubt i'm going to buy it back as the rear quarter panels and roof have quite a few dents from the hail. It also doesn't seem worth it to replace the original hood, fenders, doors and trunk. I'd likely be putting more money into the car than it'd be worth in the end.

I'm pretty bummed to say the least.
Nooooooooo..... god I hate insurance companies man. Freaking ridiculous. You gonna stay on them to get the evaluation done right?

Jump to top Bimma360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-08-2017, 03:29:13 PM   #63
Double E
Double E

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmith25 View Post
That is exactly what I just went through. I had the added problem of odometer roll back that I didn't know about. EVERYBODY GET A HISTORY REPORT!! I am accepting their offer today hopefully, then keeping the car and selling it. I have a deal for another one that I should break even financially, and end up with a car that has a clean history.

If that was their first offer, then you should be able to get more out of them.

I made a few different lists of comparables, and submitted them. They will find any minuscule reason not to use them though. you should have a better time than I did since you have reliable odometer history(I hope).

You should definitely point out that the one comparable is your actual car, and that means they shouldn't be adjusting anything.

you are going to have to work to get it, but you should be able to get a good settlement.
Correct. I gave 7 comparable quotes when my jeep (a WJ) was wrecked and they found reasons NOT to include any of them. No longer for sale, not able to contact the seller, etc. One was rejected because the geographical limit of their search was set to 150 miles and I had a comparable one 152 miles away. At least make them compare apples & apples.

Agreed on value is what we must consider or the man is just going to stick it to us.

'97 M3/2/5. Hellrot on Black ...and a racecar.
Jump to top Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-08-2017, 03:30:33 PM   #64
spaghettiM3

In the garage:

United States

I do plan on staying on them to get a correct evaluation done. Removing my car as a comp and the e46 should help the value on my car.

Currently, there are only 7 1999 M3 Coupes for sale in the United States on Autotrader (source they used) and the lowest priced M3 is at $17k with 160k miles.
Old Thu, Jun-08-2017, 04:56:56 PM   #65
tsmith25

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
Correct. I gave 7 comparable quotes when my jeep (a WJ) was wrecked and they found reasons NOT to include any of them. No longer for sale, not able to contact the seller, etc. One was rejected because the geographical limit of their search was set to 150 miles and I had a comparable one 152 miles away. At least make them compare apples & apples.

Agreed on value is what we must consider or the man is just going to stick it to us.
They actually ran their adjustments on two of them that I sent in. They got about $9k, then threw them out because they were "inflated values"

I thought of a few other things.

If you can get the money back that you put into it, that is a win.

It is probably best for you to take a check and owner retain. Then you can sell it to somebody as a donor/race car for $2k-$3k. Since yours is completely cosmetic damage, you might even be able to get $4k for it. Obviously, make sure that you get the ACV high enough first.

I just accepted the settlement yesterday on mine, and by the time I sell the car as a donor, I will basically get what I had in it back.

Keep in mind that if you owner retain, they will subtract tax and tag from the settlement as well as the salvage value. Mine was a salvage value of $810, and it took about 400 of tax and fees off as well, so about $1200 below what the value report shows.

By selling the car myself, I will end up at least $800 better off since $2k is about the minimum price. I am hoping for $2500-3000 though.
Jump to top tsmith25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-09-2017, 03:33:48 PM   #66
spaghettiM3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmith25 View Post
They actually ran their adjustments on two of them that I sent in. They got about $9k, then threw them out because they were "inflated values"

I thought of a few other things.

If you can get the money back that you put into it, that is a win.

It is probably best for you to take a check and owner retain. Then you can sell it to somebody as a donor/race car for $2k-$3k. Since yours is completely cosmetic damage, you might even be able to get $4k for it. Obviously, make sure that you get the ACV high enough first.

I just accepted the settlement yesterday on mine, and by the time I sell the car as a donor, I will basically get what I had in it back.

Keep in mind that if you owner retain, they will subtract tax and tag from the settlement as well as the salvage value. Mine was a salvage value of $810, and it took about 400 of tax and fees off as well, so about $1200 below what the value report shows.

By selling the car myself, I will end up at least $800 better off since $2k is about the minimum price. I am hoping for $2500-3000 though.
I agree that I could sell it for a decent price, considering the Modena Vader interior, solid engine and transmission, plus I just put coilovers on it 10 miles ago.

I'm also wondering if they end up agreeing with a higher value, if they'll have the damage fixed.

Obviously, there is still a lot to figure out and of course once I rejected the settlement offer, they have been dragging their feet.
Old Fri, Jun-09-2017, 06:07:08 PM   #67
Double E
Double E

United States

Provide them the receipt for the coilovers. They will consider all receipts for recent work, tires and upgrades.

'97 M3/2/5. Hellrot on Black ...and a racecar.
Jump to top Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-09-2017, 06:31:07 PM   #68
spaghettiM3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
Provide them the receipt for the coilovers. They will consider all receipts for recent work, tires and upgrades.
Thankfully the rest of the parts I've bought weren't on the car yet!

I have a pile of OEM LTW parts, OEM Euro parts and a few other pieces.

If I get back into another e36 M3, i'll be set with parts, otherwise they'll be for sale on here in a few weeks!
Old Fri, Jun-09-2017, 06:39:22 PM   #69
westopher

Canada

If you have a carbon console sell it to me!
Honestly though, I think you can get it sorted out. Insurance companies go in to these thinking people won't put in the time to play hardball

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 106k and officially worthless. 2000 323i touring, silver/grey/sport pack, 170k and officially boring.
Member journal. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=491859
Jump to top westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-09-2017, 06:44:32 PM   #70
Nate047

In the garage:

United States

What insurance provider do you have?