BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Mar-27-2019, 10:37:44 PM   #1
onthebeach1969

In the garage:

United States

Default Weird electrical gremlin

Hi everyone!

Tried searching this and came up with varied results so I figured I'll post and see if you all can help me hone in on the issue.

I've been having to jump start the car quite a bit recently. It's been somewhat of a garage queen the past few years but I do drive the car at least 1x/month. I have recently replaced the battery, which was indeed on its way out, but the issue persisted- the starter would click and not turn the engine over or, worse, be completely dead. The battery had great voltage and amperage after jumping and a subsequent "Italian tune-up."
This led me to think the alternator was also okay and I did confirm this. It produces 13.8A under load and at idle.
When the car is off, the voltage every so slightly drops. So I think I have an electrical issue drawing down the battery somewhere, right?

Perhaps related:
For a few years, my M3 has randomly had issues with all of the windows rolling down simultaneously with the sunroof. It is not the key causing this and, based on my searches, this may be the window regulator. I have one but haven't replaced it yet. It seems to happen after getting rained on (which is extremely rare, I try not to drive her in bad weather).
This actually hasn't happened in a long time (over a year now), but I can't help but think this may be related.

What would you guys do at this point?
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Mar-28-2019, 02:16:09 AM   #2
sapote

United States

Default Re: Weird electrical gremlin

"It produces 13.8A under load and at idle."
You meant 13.8V?

"The battery had great voltage and amperage after jumping and a subsequent "Italian tune-up."
You could measure the voltage but how did you get the amperage? What exactly is Italian tune up?

Next time, when the starter failed to crank the engine, measure the voltage between batt posts while someone turns the key to crank position, and I bet it will be very low voltage.

I think the battery drained to low causing your problem. Get a new battery and keep it above 12.7V all the time then problem will disappear.
Jump to top sapote is online now   Reply With Quote