BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Jul-01-2018, 02:29:54 PM   #1
nextelbuddy1

United States

Default Will a non m electric fan physically fit?

Well then non M electric fan physically fit between Radiator and the engine mainly the water pump socket where the clutch fan was?

My front auxiliary fan controller went out and the aux fan just stays on constantly even with the power/car off. When I plug in my spare zhp fan left over for my swap it doesn't do that and turns on and turns off like it should with temperature increase and AC engagement.

Would love to use this if it will fit and can just remove the fan clutch which is going bad anyways and the stock shroud.

I searched a bunch of threads in this forum and a lot of people have said it sounds like a great idea but maybe I missed it but I haven't seen anywhere where it said if they had success fitting it or not. just some people who hypothesized that it should not fit because of the clearance between the water pump but no one with pictures.
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Jul-01-2018, 02:41:10 PM   #2
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

Default Re: Will a non m electric fan physically fit?

It wont fit without modification. U'll have to trim off the bottom otherwise it will hit the top of ur oil cooler .

Mods:
-Custom CF airbox
-SSV2 catless headers, Custom 2.5" dual sec1, Custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3..
-Cat Cams 280 272.
-Custom dyno tune
-Tms pulleys and electric fan conversion
364.1 whp 287.8 wtq

Custom exhaust thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=569086
Cams thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=554439
Custom cf airbox thread http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=595180

Last edited by HassanEido; Sun, Jul-01-2018 at 04:53:01 PM.
Jump to top HassanEido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-01-2018, 04:35:04 PM   #3
WOLFN8TR
/// MONEY \\\

In the garage:

United States

What are the summertime temps in your area? Beings I DD my ///M in 100-120 degree heat I can give you some feedback for a conversion. I've been running my Aux Fan with a Mishi Fan mounted inside the stock fan shroud. The Mishi Fan is ran off a PWM unit from the AutoCoolGuy. This setup works great up to 110 degrees. I tried running just the Aux Fan but after 100 degrees I was having issues. I just purchased a Koyorad radiator and some N15 design Electric Fan mounts that I will be installing this week. I'm going to try the Mishi Fan for now to see how it works. I'm thinking of getting a Spal 2049 or 2082 eventually.

You could either remove the Aux Fan and run just the Spal off the Aux Fan controller (if the summer temps are under 100) or run both fans as I do if the summer temps are over 100. I tested this configuration out over two very hot summers and 105 is the tipping point for running just one fan it seems. You would obviously need another fan controller to run the Spal with the Aux Fan still in place.

I would recommend getting the N15 Design Electric Fan mount and a Spal 2049 or 2082 Electric Fan.

N15 Design Electric Fan Mount "On Sale"

N15 Electric Fan Mount Thread

How to wire up a SPAL fan to the aux controller (See Pos #37)

Breakthrough discovery about the Spal 30102082 Fan! The Most powerful sealed fan!

Fan Clutch Delete Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
I would go with the "high performance" SPAL 16" if going aftermarket. The current draw correlates with the fan's ability to blow/suck against pressure -- important for radiators. So although the Mishimoto has a similar CFM rating, I highly doubt a 10A fan will be as effective as a 20A fan

For whatever it's worth, the e46 non-Ms have a 30A fan and Z4Ms 50A. Some of the extra power is just excess capacity for extreme environments, but I still figure it's worth considering.

I'd go with 30102049, the 30102082 is worth looking at, but I'm not sure it will fit.

Another thing to consider is going with a straight blade fan. For a given size and current rating, the straight blade will work better against resistance than a curved blade fan (based on SPAL's spec sheets), but straight blade fans are louder.

BAVSOUND Stage 1 - UltraGauge - Valentine One - Orion V4's - ARC-8's
TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - Turner Spacers 15/12 - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Last edited by WOLFN8TR; Sun, Jul-01-2018 at 05:12:55 PM.
Jump to top WOLFN8TR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-02-2018, 03:45:20 AM   #4
nextelbuddy1

United States

Thanks everyone, I was able to fit the non m electric fan today modifying it like you mentioned. This fan is about 2 inch taller than the s54 fan shroud I just trimmed off about an inch and a half at the bottom. I used some zip ties cleverly along the bottom to keep it nice and tight against the radiator and the top I was able to use the center clip and one of the large torx screws on the passenger side of the radiator.

The fan fits nicely after this and has the same amount of clearance as an M54 motor. Interesting enough zhp motor I took this off of the water pump also has a threaded nut as if it can take a fan clutch that's how I knew the clearance was fine.

This fan is so much better. before with a failing fan clutch and an ox fan that wasn't really that great. The car would get the full temp and my garage very easily and not overheat unless I use the air conditioning then it would overheat.

Taking the fan clutch out and the front aux fan and replacing both of those with the single electric fan, I was able to let the car idle for 30 minutes in my garage with the AC running and the temperature barely made it to the middle mark.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old Mon, Jul-02-2018, 04:25:45 AM   #5
WOLFN8TR
/// MONEY \\\

In the garage:

United States

Hey Nice work! Looks a bit tight but good job making it fit.

VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - Turner Spacers 15/12 - BWS 500S 9k/11k
Old Mon, Jul-02-2018, 05:20:02 AM   #6
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Any advantage of using the non-M electric fan over the Spal 2049 or 2082?

Mods: Karbonius CSL Airbox, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized section 2, Supersprint LW Race Muffler, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Streamline CSL Bumper, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, .
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, CSL Bumper, OE CSL Wheels, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, CSL Airbox, Brembo, Cams/Pistons...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of: Nothing at the moment.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-02-2018, 01:39:06 PM   #7
nextelbuddy1

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
Hey Nice work! Looks a bit tight but good job making it fit.
right, the only thing that is more tight of a fit than the same fan in a non M is the vanos unit. other than that, the clearances are extremely similar to a non M in regards to the water pump pulley.

my guess is that since the motor isn't supposed to move forward or backwards but only side to side then I should be ok.

thanks for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
Any advantage of using the non-M electric fan over the Spal 2049 or 2082?
its plug and play, also pulls more air than those fans being a 40 amp fan itself.

this fan is meant to be a double duty fan for non M M 54 engines and those engines dont really run any cooler than the S54 so my take is if its good enough for those its good enough for the S54...

the only con i can think of is that it might cause the S54 to run too cool in some cases causing a rich condition but i may be over thinking it since the fan is controlled by the DME just like stock which gets one of its indicator signals from the cool temp sensor in the lower hose.
Old Mon, Jul-02-2018, 03:22:29 PM   #8
e46IX

Canada

You S54 swapped another sedan?

I think the fan you took may have been from an automatic ZHP if the water pump has a threaded nut. I believe the automatics still use a mechanical fan while the manuals don't.

Nice solution for sure, plug and play is nice.. but I like having clearance between my pulleys and radiator.
Jump to top e46IX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-02-2018, 03:35:55 PM   #9
WOLFN8TR
/// MONEY \\\

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46IX View Post

I think the fan you took may have been from an automatic ZHP if the water pump has a threaded nut. I believe the automatics still use a mechanical fan while the manuals don't.

Nice solution for sure, plug and play is nice.. but I like having clearance between my pulleys and radiator.
The Auto ZHP's use a Mech Fan and a Aux Fan up front. This is from a 6MT which just uses a Elec Fan in the engine bay.

Old Mon, Jul-02-2018, 04:59:00 PM   #10
nextelbuddy1

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46IX View Post

the ZHP i got it from was a 6MT. i pulled it myself yesterday.

besides the vanos unit on the S54, there is no different in clearance between this fan and the pullies on an S54 car and an M54 car. the electric fan even has small cut outs in the plastic frame to clear the pulley areas and the motor itself is offset from the factory to clear the water pump anyways.