BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Aug-13-2014, 04:44:29 AM   #11
dubledee
Petrolhead

Viet Nam

Default Re: Anybody ever heard of these wheels? Ambit Performance Wheels - RS 18

Many wheel companies stamp their wheels with JWL and VIA stamps even when they're not actually VIA certified to the JWL standard in reality.
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Aug-13-2014, 04:52:46 AM   #12
NeverContent
Formerly BigDaveDogg

Sweden

Default Re: Anybody ever heard of these wheels? Ambit Performance Wheels - RS 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubledee View Post
Many wheel companies stamp their wheels with JWL and VIA stamps even when they're not actually VIA certified to the JWL standard in reality.
Not going to dispute your claim, as I'm not informed enough, but can you list some examples of these companies? It would seem to be easy enough to replicate these wheel designs and omit any legitimate certification markings, as to avoid legal issues.

Jump to top NeverContent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-13-2014, 05:57:04 AM   #13
DanAvoN7

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverContent View Post
I asked for a photo of the certifications, and this is what I was sent:
[img]stupidvendor.jpg[/img

Are these stamps ever faked?
That is not proof at all. All that shows is they put the JWL/VIA marking in the cast wheel mold and claim it passed. A search through the JWL/VIA database shows no listing for "Ambit Performance Wheels". It's possible they are tested to JWL/VIA standards but they did not physically send a wheel to get certified. There is a slight chance they are manufactured by a reputable foundry but it seems fishy is you ask me, especially considering they sent that picture as proof

An example of a company that does take pride in their product and has had their wheels officially tested is Apex Wheels. Here is what a real certification looks like in the JWL/VIA database
Apex ARC-8 w/ Hankook Z214, Apex ARC-8 w/ BFGoodrich R1, MCS 3-way Coilovers, GC Race Camber Plates, PFC BBK, Turner Camber Arms, Turner Sway Bars, Turner Subframe bushings, Turner Solid Diff Bushings, Turner Solid RTAB, Turner Solid Control Arm bushings, Treehouse Racing FCAB, Reinforced Subframe, OS Giken LSD, Rogue Engineering Transmission Mounts, SGT Headers, SGT Section 1, AFE Stage 2 Intake, EPIC Tune, Dinan Exhaust, Bimmerworld Airdam/Splitter/Dive Planes, Bimmerworld V2 Wing, TC Design Roll Cage, Racetech RT4119, Scroth Profi 2 Harness

NORCAL Rod Bearing/Vanos/Valve Adjustment/Inspections Member Feedback
Jump to top DanAvoN7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-13-2014, 06:09:57 AM   #14
NeverContent
Formerly BigDaveDogg

Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanAvoN7 View Post
That is not proof at all. All that shows is they put the JWL/VIA marking in the cast wheel mold and claim it passed. A search through the JWL/VIA database shows no listing for "Ambit Performance Wheels". It's possible they are tested to JWL/VIA standards but they did not physically send a wheel to get certified. There is a slight chance they are manufactured by a reputable foundry but it seems fishy is you ask me, especially considering they sent that picture as proof

An example of a company that does take pride in their product and has had their wheels officially tested is Apex Wheels. Here is what a real certification looks like in the JWL/VIA database
]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b388/paintpro21/apexjwltests.jpg
Interesting information. Good post, thanks for the info. I would imagine, regardless of how new, if they were certified, that information would be readily available.

Jump to top NeverContent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-13-2014, 04:04:53 PM   #15
ModBargains III
M3Forum Sponsor

United States

Yes, VIA and JWL stamps obviously can be counterfitted. Just put those letters in on your mold and then you can have a wheel with JWL and VIA stamps, hell even TUV stamps if you want.

What you want to see is what DanAvoN7 posted up, those are real tests done. Each manufacturer has to send in a wheel for testing, and usually you'll get a report like this one (link to a PDF) - STL REPORT 19x8.5 (PDF 35K)

Official reports like that I don't see from every manufacturer we work with, but obviously Apex has theirs open to the public and so does Forgestar which is what that PDF is for (19x8.5 F14 in particular since each size/wheel style has to be tested, even in half in increments they get tested, it's not just one wheel and done).

Elliott Goodman | Modification Expert | Elliott@ModBargains.com | (714) 582-3330 ext. 8011
We Specialize In: BMW M3 Wheels | BMW Brakes | BMW Suspension | BMW M3 Parts | KW Coilovers |
HRE Flow Formed Wheels | StopTech Group buy #2!
Hours: Mon - Fri 8:00am-6:00pm | Sat 8:00am-5:00pm (PST)
Check out the Blog! or add me on Facebook! for daily updates and discounts!
Jump to top ModBargains III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-13-2014, 07:46:05 PM   #16
Kampa
#Boosted

United States

I bought a set last week! Couldn't pass the price up. They are legit, and look great! ...... yes i already lowered it more, please no "moar low" or "wheel gap" comments lol

Jump to top Kampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-13-2014, 10:11:03 PM   #17
Baest
the beans

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampa View Post
I bought a set last week! Couldn't pass the price up. They are legit, and look great! ...... yes i already lowered it more, please no "moar low" or "wheel gap" comments lol

:thumb sup2:
Jump to top Baest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-14-2014, 03:04:21 PM   #18
obryan562

In the garage:

Cambodia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampa View Post

sweet! now take your car to the track and see if they don't crack. Your our guinea pig now!

but seriously though. If there was more info on these wheels. I would jump on a set, They look AWESOME!
Old Thu, Aug-14-2014, 03:12:55 PM   #19
gojcaj
Cool like a fool in a swimming pool

Albania

I guess for $600 you could buy an entire extra set as backup in case these do break. I would worry about tracking them without an official lab testing document. The risk here is your life, not the money lost.

Sold
O|||||||O - 2014 Jeep JKURX
Jump to top gojcaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-14-2014, 03:20:25 PM   #20
WyattH

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by obryan562 View Post
sweet! now take your car to the track and see if they don't crack. Your our guinea pig now!
I'd think a crappy road or stretch of highway that is full of potholes would be a better test.

Dinan | CSL | RAC | TCK | Brembo | \\\WyattH's Journal
Jump to top WyattH is offline   Reply With Quote