BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Wed, Jan-06-2010, 06:28:49 AM   #21
iggy

United States

Know what, I might just go ahead and order them anyways. I'd rather order it all to be sure I'll have everything I need for the job instead of cheaping out and trying to save a few bucks and risk not having a replacement for a damaged component.

I've heard that not all parts of the Pelican kit can be accessed with transmission still bolted to the car. Is that true?

If so, which pieces should I leave out?

Jump to top iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Jan-06-2010, 07:47:58 AM   #22
rowar64
eh

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy View Post
Know what, I might just go ahead and order them anyways. I'd rather order it all to be sure I'll have everything I need for the job instead of cheaping out and trying to save a few bucks and risk not having a replacement for a damaged component.

I've heard that not all parts of the Pelican kit can be accessed with transmission still bolted to the car. Is that true?

I would tend to trust Chris and Understeer. If you're unsure give him a call or email, you'll get a very quick response from my experience.

You may not need the second set of spacers due to going with the UUC carrier bushing. I went with TMS Delrin bushing and did use the spacers, iirc.

You absolutely do not need to drop the driveshaft/exhaust to do this. I've done it twice now without doing so. Many others have as well. But as has been well stated, it does make things that much more difficult.

As for not needing those spacers....Not installing the spacers is going to leave your gearbox extremely loose and sloppy. They are definitely required. You can get the general idea from this picture:

Old Wed, Jan-06-2010, 02:16:14 PM   #23
iggy

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowar64 View Post
I would tend to trust Chris and Understeer. If you're unsure give him a call or email, you'll get a very quick response from my experience.

You may not need the second set of spacers due to going with the UUC carrier bushing. I went with TMS Delrin bushing and did use the spacers, iirc.

You absolutely do not need to drop the driveshaft/exhaust to do this. I've done it twice now without doing so. Many others have as well. But as has been well stated, it does make things that much more difficult.

As for not needing those spacers....Not installing the spacers is going to leave your gearbox extremely loose and sloppy. They are definitely required. You can get the general idea from this picture:
It's not that I don't trust Understeer, I just want to replace as many wear items as I can while I'm in there. The vagueness of my stock shifter is driving me nuts and I want to enjoy the same crisp shifter that I'm sure the OP is enjoying now.

I'll try to contact Chris today and see what he thinks, unless other forum members can shed more light.

Jump to top iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-06-2010, 03:17:17 PM   #24
runindawg
95M3 04ZHP

United States

Default Yellow Washers on Selector Rod

BMW changed their design at some point to no longer use the yellow washers.
Check realOEM for various build dates and you will see. If you have a selector rod designed for washers then get new washers. If you get a new selector rod that isn't designed for the yellow washers(the two "pins" are shorter) then obviously, you don't need the yellow washers(there isn't room for them).
BMW also changed the style of the gear selector "joint" or "knuckle" at some point. This is only important to know if you decide to switch to the new style joint as it is slightly longer(and therefore requires a corresponding selector rod that is slightly shorter).
If more info desired, see unofficialBMW(ron stygar's site)
Jump to top runindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-06-2010, 06:55:24 PM   #25
Oogie_M
o_O

Taiwan

my build date is 10/98 and it shows no #9 yellow spacers in realoem.com

However I ordered them just in case since it wasn't much money.
Jump to top Oogie_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-07-2010, 06:18:43 PM   #26
reidnez

United States

One more project to add to the list, but like all the others it has to wait until I have my own garage again. My shifter is not terrible, but it's not too crisp either.
Jump to top reidnez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-13-2010, 12:18:24 AM   #27
SketchyD
Relentlessly Awesome

United States

just finished installing a Z3 lever, DSSR, and new bushings, though i didn't do those pieces actually on the trans (that sponge thing and the part the selector rod attaches to). i'm a little disappointed with the results, i still have some play in the shifter, AND THAT FIFTH GEAR LEAN!!

but the throws are definitely shorter and crisper
Old Wed, Jan-13-2010, 12:25:23 AM   #28
Roland H
LOLiticks troll

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SketchyD View Post
just finished installing a Z3 lever, DSSR, and new bushings, though i didn't do those pieces actually on the trans (that sponge thing and the part the selector rod attaches to). i'm a little disappointed with the results, i still have some play in the shifter, AND THAT FIFTH GEAR LEAN!!

The sponge thing is one of the more important bushings. Make sure your trans is topped off with fluid, and the fifth gear lean and detent bushing kits will really make a difference.
Old Wed, Jan-13-2010, 01:22:40 AM   #29
PurduinaM3
Banned

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SketchyD View Post

Well yeah, not replacing those key parts will cause that extra slop... it's cheap to just do them all while you're in there... As far as the 5th gear lean, you have to pull the tranny and do the detent pin fix, no shifter will fix that...
Jump to top PurduinaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-13-2010, 02:47:13 AM   #30
Brandon318

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy View Post

No, all parts can be accessed even with the tranny on, just fine, actually. There's one clip, known as the b!tch clip, that's difficult to remove. Just destroy it with a screwdriver. Search b!tch clip to find tips.

Jump to top Brandon318 is offline   Reply With Quote