BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Feb-09-2010, 11:02:15 PM   #21
os46

United States

Default Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmr19 View Post
I just made a quick video of my symptoms. Is this the noise you guys are hearing too? All I did was set my camera on the ground and drove over it while pushing in the clutch (rolling up to the camera with first gear clutch disengagement and reverse clutch disengagement). Anyone successfully solved this issue?
Occurrences at 0:17s, 0:34s, 0:44s, & 0:51s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFu5DXhRRB4
Well, I never listened to my car from where your camera probably was, but it sounds like a noise all M3s make. Mine seems to make a similar noise, and every one of the many M3s I test drove made the same noise. There's one or more long threads devoted to it. I think it's called M clunk. Some people claim to have found a solution, but this seems unclear. Though again, I haven't listened from that angle, so from in the car, it might sound very different. If it occurs when you are accelerating or braking hard, then it's probably something different. If unsure, you're probably better off recording the noise in the car, with the camera close to ear level. Then post it on an M clunk thread.
Jump to top os46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Feb-09-2010, 11:28:28 PM   #22
Itsablurr

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by os46 View Post
Not yet - I haven't done anything else with it yet. It will go to the shop sometime between now and end of March. As soon as I try anything else I'll post an update.

SeattleLSB, unfortunately, this isn't it. I've also experienced that with many cars, but this is a completely different problem. It sometimes doesn't go into 1st while parked, which is annoying. It doesn't go into other gears while moving, which is worse.

F1Dryver, you are right, the transmission is crap :-(. I never imagined a transmission could take the fun out of a car, but it does. How BMW signed off on this, I just don't understand.

gmr19, I'll listen to your post now and post another message if the sounds are familiar, but if its just a noise you are worried about, I very much doubt it. This is not a noise problem. When grinding occurs, much though you hate the noise, that's the least of the problems. It sounds to me like importrp is right.
As I said before, this issue sounds very much like a problem in the hydraulics, which manifests itself in one of the following failure modes:

-slave cylinder outer seal failure (leak @ piston seal, allowing fluid to seep into bellhousing and out bottom- lowered brake fluid reservoir level)
-master cylinder outer seal failure (leak from above clutch pedal onto carpet- lowered brake fluid reservoir level)
-master cylinder inner seal failure (no visible leaking, inner seal allows depressurization back up into reservoir- brake fluid reservoir is not low)

Try and narrow it down to one of the above.

With the car running, ebrake off, transmission in neutral, and clutch in... try and move the shift lever into 1st. Does the car creep forward as you move the shift lever into the 1st gear position? If so, this confirms a hydraulic problem, as the clutch is not disengaging (or a rare occurance of the clutch fork fatiguing and failing... it has happened before, but is unlikely).
Old Mon, Feb-15-2010, 12:03:44 AM   #23
importrp
www.importrp.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by os46 View Post
It sounds to me like importrp is right.
I posted an update here in this thread:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=307336

Sounds like the same issue you are having. I'm darn near ready to buy a new tranny, but don't want to do that and have the same problem.

Also, it sounds like you replaced your tranny and still had the same issues. Ugh, this is so annoying, it's making me hate this car.
Jump to top importrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-15-2010, 08:09:01 AM   #24
parad0x
E46 M3 Jet Black 6spd

United States

I would recommend you guys to replace your tranny mounts. You do not have to drop the transmission to replace the mounts, look at the DIY posted at madrussian it's very detailed in all the steps. Usually when your braking and you try to downshift and cant find the gear (3rd gear is most common complaint) is the biggest symptom possible for a fatigued transmission mounts(hard shifting into really any gears such as the common 1st gear is also obviously a possible symptom of worn out tranny bushings, and this is a very common problem on all m3's). If you are out of warranty i would recommend aftermarket stiffer rubber mounts, or possibly even polyurethane.
Old Mon, Feb-15-2010, 11:04:03 AM   #25
Draddy

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmr19 View Post
It sounds awful to me, especially for a BMW. Do you have the means to make a small video and compare to mine?
That's normal, as a result of how you are driving. Don't dump power right before disengaging the clutch. At those low speeds, the engine braking effect messes with the cleanliness of the disengagement.

Work on your accelerator to clutch ratio and it won't happen. (IE keep your foot slightly on the gas)

To the OP, sucks that you're going through this, hopefully it's been narrowed down to where a mech. can pinpoint and fix the issue.

My Car (sold) -- Old M3
Jump to top Draddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-15-2010, 04:35:32 PM   #26
importrp
www.importrp.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by parad0x View Post
I would recommend you guys to replace your tranny mounts. You do not have to drop the transmission to replace the mounts, look at the DIY posted at madrussian it's very detailed in all the steps. Usually when your braking and you try to downshift and cant find the gear (3rd gear is most common complaint) is the biggest symptom possible for a fatigued transmission mounts(hard shifting into really any gears such as the common 1st gear is also obviously a possible symptom of worn out tranny bushings, and this is a very common problem on all m3's). If you are out of warranty i would recommend aftermarket stiffer rubber mounts, or possibly even polyurethane.
Here is my best description of what happened yesterday (sorry for the long description):

My wife and I decided to go for breakfast. We drove the car about 5 miles stop and go, no hard braking, accelerating, or cornering - no probs at all, shifted great. Had breakfast, went to back out of the parking spot and could NOT get it into reverse. Had to go to second and back and forth, and it took probably 6-7 tries before it would go in. When I got it in, it felt like it was BARELY in... So, I backed out of the parking spot, went to put it in first, and it wouldn't go in... took 3-4 tries to get it into first. Left the parking lot, had to shift HARD to get it into second... at the light again had to try twice to get it into first. Then took off and did 1st through 4th; each time having to shift hard to get into gear. Did maybe 3 or 4 1st through 5th stop
and goes, with lots of difficulty getting into gear (basically having to shift HARD, and I can feel that the shifter is not going as far as it would normally go to get into gear - no grinding though). Then, as if I was crazy and losing my mind, it magically began shifting perfect again. Went into first no problem, super easy, felt perfect. Did a maybe two or three 1st through 4th gear stop and go runs, with absolutely no problem at all.

Sounds like a trans mount problem to you? Thanks!
Old Mon, Feb-15-2010, 05:11:48 PM   #27
gmr19

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draddy View Post
That's normal, as a result of how you are driving. Don't dump power right before disengaging the clutch. At those low speeds, the engine braking effect messes with the cleanliness of the disengagement.

Work on your accelerator to clutch ratio and it won't happen. (IE keep your foot slightly on the gas)

To the OP, sucks that you're going through this, hopefully it's been narrowed down to where a mech. can pinpoint and fix the issue.
Yeah I noticed it doesn't happen when disengaging the clutch with my foot barely pressing on the gas pedal. Just wasn't sure if this adds some extra clutch wear or not. Probably doesn't.

Thanks!
Jump to top gmr19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-12-2010, 04:04:36 AM   #28
importrp
www.importrp.com

Update:

As of last month, I had changed every other possible part. The issues seem to be getting worse, especially in 1st and reverse.

My mechanic decided the only remaining culprit is the transmission. I took it two to other independent shops and got the same answer. Major bummer.

Instead of opting for the $6,000 re-built BMW tranny with a two year warranty, I've spent the last 2 weeks searching for a good used one. Ended up finding one out of a 2004 M3, with 41k miles. Negotiated and got it for $2200. Also comes with a 12 month warranty. Figured that this was by far the better option than dropping $6k on a BMW reman.

Anyway, tranny arrives on Monday and will be installed next week. I'm certainly hoping it's a good one!
Old Fri, Mar-12-2010, 05:00:28 AM   #29
deilenberger

Reputation: 578 deilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond repute

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by importrp View Post
Update:

As of last month, I had changed every other possible part. The issues seem to be getting worse, especially in 1st and reverse.
Does "every other possible part" include the complete clutch assembly? 'Cause that's what it sounds like to me (and I just did mine about 2 weeks ago..)
Quote:

My mechanic decided the only remaining culprit is the transmission. I took it two to other independent shops and got the same answer. Major bummer.

Instead of opting for the $6,000 re-built BMW tranny with a two year warranty, I've spent the last 2 weeks searching for a good used one. Ended up finding one out of a 2004 M3, with 41k miles. Negotiated and got it for $2200. Also comes with a 12 month warranty. Figured that this was by far the better option than dropping $6k on a BMW reman.

Anyway, tranny arrives on Monday and will be installed next week. I'm certainly hoping it's a good one!
I'm hoping it fixes the problem. Likely will - since if you haven't replaced the clutch assembly your mechanic is likely to insist that you do while the transmission is out (the parts are "cheap" - for BMW parts - the labor is the biggest cost.) So even if it was just the clutch - that will get replaced.

Let us know how it works out for'ya..
  • 2002 M3C/6 - Imola Red/Black - SOLD
  • 2003 525iT - Green/Tan - SOLD - replaced with Lexus
  • 2006 Cayenne/S - Iceland Silver Metallic/Stone-steel Gray - Truckster. - SOLD
  • 2007 R1200R - Roadster, black mit/white pinstripes - SOLD and not forgotten..
  • 2012 R1200R - Roadster, Ruby Red - the new REAL BMW..
  • 2011 Lexus RX-350. SWMBO's new toy.
  • 2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo, white/black. My new toy..
Jump to top deilenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-12-2010, 06:08:49 PM   #30
mtlm3

In the garage:

Canada

OP, have you tried changing the tranny mounts? Has your problem been rectified? If so how?

importrp: Did you try changing the mounts before buying your new tranny? please keep us posted!
Jump to top mtlm3 is offline   Reply With Quote