BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Dec-06-2009, 06:12:32 PM   #1
Miami M3
If I only Had Gummybears ...

In the garage:

Switzerland

Default ashtray/cigarette lighter DIY removal and replacement

i replaced all my plastic console pieces including the ashtray a while back and i must have put the cig lighter back together wrong since it doesnt work and when you put a new fuse in, it blows immediately

cant find the DIY for removal again

can someone point me in the direction - i know there was a thread on here that i followed the first time

thanks

Official Boobie Connoisseur Number Fifty-Four
Jump to top Miami M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Dec-06-2009, 07:21:03 PM   #2
Kaveh

Iran

From what I remember, it was very simple!

remove the shift boot, remove the screws inside the shift trim, remove the 2 screws holding the bottom of the cigarette lighter trim, you have to remove the eye-glass holder by squeezing the top/bottom of it so it pops out and then there are 2 remaining screws behind that and the whole thing comes out.

I will try to find the DIY as I remember learning this trick from there. But from what I remember, the trickiest part is to remove the eye-glass holder without scratching or cracking it.

here's one, but its not as descriptive.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...e+glass+holder

cheers,
'01 Imola/Black Vert ::: 6MT ::: CWP ::: 19" (Sold)
'04 TiAg/Black M3 ::: SMG ::: NAV ::: Cold weather Package ::: PDC (Sold)

Jump to top Kaveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Dec-06-2009, 08:46:07 PM   #3
Miami M3

In the garage:

Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaveh View Post
From what I remember, it was very simple!

remove the shift boot, remove the screws inside the shift trim, remove the 2 screws holding the bottom of the cigarette lighter trim, you have to remove the eye-glass holder by squeezing the top/bottom of it so it pops out and then there are 2 remaining screws behind that and the whole thing comes out.

I will try to find the DIY as I remember learning this trick from there. But from what I remember, the trickiest part is to remove the eye-glass holder without scratching or cracking it.

here's one, but its not as descriptive.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...e+glass+holder

cheers,

thanks - yeah i got it out in less than 5 minutes -- thing is i cant figure out what i did wrong when i originally removed and re-installed the actual cig lighter -- maybe i bent the metal prongs (i still have trouble removing the metal cig lighter from the black plastic housing) when i tried to get it out

the current situation is this -- everything appears to have been put back together correctly, the two wires (grounds?) are plugged in -- but the cig lighter doesnt work - it blows the fuse immediately meaning something aint right, right?

anyone have thoughts ? maybe i need to order a new cig lighter (just the metal piece) and reinstall

Old Mon, Dec-07-2009, 06:05:03 AM   #4
johnm_oz

Australia

The two wires are power and ground, you haven't swapped them over have you? Brown is ground, power is probably red with a black/white trace.

Cheers
JM
Jump to top johnm_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-07-2009, 06:13:51 AM   #5
grkbimmer

In the garage:

United States

just did the same thing actually (but i removed my cig lighter and put in a usb power source and replaced the fuse)... the red wire with yellow tracers goes on the bottom prong and the brown wire goes on the other. unless the actual cig lighter is messed up or if your wiring harness is nicked somewhere and being shorted out (had this happen in my old car) or if you get a penny stuck in it (seen it before) you should be fine.

The Car: '04 E46 M3/6 speed/Silver Gray/Imola Red/Nav/19" wheels
Tires: Hankook Ventus V2 235/35 F & 275/30 R
Audio: Silverline iPod adaptor
Performance: BMW performance shift knob & SSK/Gruppe M muffler/KW V2
Interior Mods: Imola red shift and e-brake boot/long eurotray/full trunk dynamat/Custom USB Power Adapter in Euro Tray
Exterior Mods: Umnitza Angel Eyes/Carbon Fiber Grill and Side Gills/28% Carbon Tint/Full Carbon CSL Replica Rear Diffuser

Mod Wish List: HPF Stage 2/Passport 9500ci custom/CSL trunk
Jump to top grkbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-07-2009, 02:36:28 PM   #6
Miami M3

In the garage:

Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm_oz View Post
The two wires are power and ground, you haven't swapped them over have you? Brown is ground, power is probably red with a black/white trace.

Cheers
JM
im pretty sure you can only put them on one way -- the wires are different sizes and have different types of clips

Quote:
Originally Posted by grkbimmer View Post
just did the same thing actually (but i removed my cig lighter and put in a usb power source and replaced the fuse)... the red wire with yellow tracers goes on the bottom prong and the brown wire goes on the other. unless the actual cig lighter is messed up or if your wiring harness is nicked somewhere and being shorted out (had this happen in my old car) or if you get a penny stuck in it (seen it before) you should be fine.
the only thing i can think of is when i originally removed the metal cig lighter, it took a lot of force, maybe i smashed the prongs a bit or something
if not, maybe its a nicked wiring harness

Old Mon, Dec-07-2009, 06:32:47 PM   #7
grkbimmer

In the garage:

United States

doubt you nicked the wiring harness unless you were messing around back there, pulling and pushing the wires(i nicked it during my head unit install in my old car). But a damaged cig lighter would do it, i destroyed mine when removing it and i think you might have done the same. i would say pick up a new one for a few bucks

but another thought...

when you said you place the new fuse in, does it blow right away with nothing drawing power from the cig lighter or with something pluged in?

if it blows with something pluged in try using a different fuse because the item plugged in might be sucking up to much power and blowing the fuse. just an idea..

good luck

The Car: '04 E46 M3/6 speed/Silver Gray/Imola Red/Nav/19" wheels
Tires: Hankook Ventus V2 235/35 F & 275/30 R
Audio: Silverline iPod adaptor
Performance: BMW performance shift knob & SSK/Gruppe M muffler/KW V2
Interior Mods: Imola red shift and e-brake boot/long eurotray/full trunk dynamat/Custom USB Power Adapter in Euro Tray
Exterior Mods: Umnitza Angel Eyes/Carbon Fiber Grill and Side Gills/28% Carbon Tint/Full Carbon CSL Replica Rear Diffuser

Mod Wish List: HPF Stage 2/Passport 9500ci custom/CSL trunk
Jump to top grkbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-07-2009, 07:34:44 PM   #8
Miami M3

In the garage:

Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by grkbimmer View Post
doubt you nicked the wiring harness unless you were messing around back there, pulling and pushing the wires(i nicked it during my head unit install in my old car). But a damaged cig lighter would do it, i destroyed mine when removing it and i think you might have done the same. i would say pick up a new one for a few bucks

but another thought...

when you said you place the new fuse in, does it blow right away with nothing drawing power from the cig lighter or with something pluged in?

if it blows with something pluged in try using a different fuse because the item plugged in might be sucking up to much power and blowing the fuse. just an idea..

good luck

ill give it a shot -- how do you remove the actual cig lighter metal housing from the black plastic it sits in ?

dont know the answer to the question since my mechanic tested the lighter - and told me it blew the fuse - not sure if it blew when he pressed the lighter or when he replaced the fuse

Old Mon, Dec-07-2009, 07:50:18 PM   #9
johnm_oz

Australia

Yeh, I thought the spades might be a different size. You should be able to see if you've done any damage that's causing the lighter socket to short. Anyway you can confirm if it's the socket or the wiring causing the problem by unplugging one of the wires- probably the red one'd be better, off the back of the socket.

Cheers
JM
Jump to top johnm_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-07-2009, 07:57:03 PM   #10
Miami M3

In the garage:

Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm_oz View Post
Yeh, I thought the spades might be a different size. You should be able to see if you've done any damage that's causing the lighter socket to short. Anyway you can confirm if it's the socket or the wiring causing the problem by unplugging one of the wires- probably the red one'd be better, off the back of the socket.

Cheers
JM
how would this confirm anything ?