BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Faults, Fixes and DIY
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Faults, Fixes and DIY Please share your experience and knowledge with other members by contributing your own DIY, or by helping another member find the elusive fix!

Old Wed, Jul-23-2008, 06:21:00 AM   #1
markjm3

United States

Default Fan Clutch DIY

Here is how I changed the fan clutch on my e46. I had searched but did not find anything for e46 M's so here is how I did it. It is actually pretty easy and will take less than 45 mins. Let the car cool down before you start working on it.

Tools Req:
1. 32mm wrench (I spent more time driving around looking for this than it took to change the clutch.) Go to Sears and save yourself some time. Better yet, check your local automotive retailer and see if you can loan one. I couldn't find one as all the retailers in my area only carried the 36mm for Fords.
2. Torx size 25
3. Something to hold fan clutch pulley- I went to Autozone to borrow one (the one for Ford's can be used.)
4. Something to jack up your car- Rhino ramps, lift, tire jack, etc.
5. 8 & 9 mm sockets.

1. Raise the front end of the car. I pulled the fan clutch/fan blade assembly out form underneath the car. It took about 10 mins of looking from the top down to realize there is more room below the car to get the assembly out. You also don't need to remove any cooling system components this way, too. Take the 32mm wrench, pulley holder and loosen the nut. Loosen the nut until it is almost off the water pump shaft. Now go underneath the car.

2. Remove skid plate panel. If you have done an oil change or CDV removal, its the same one.

3. Remove 2 torx screws that hold the oil cooler to the radiator. These are located on either side of the plastic housing that holds the oil cooler in place. With the screws removed, the oil cooler will not be completely detached, it will hang from the driver's side. It has a tab on the oil cooler shroud that helps to hold it in place. Take the left side of the oil cooler and slide it towards the rear of the car and it will come off. There is no need to disconnect the tubes- just move it to the side.

4. Remove 2 more torx screws that hold the plastic shroud to the radiator. These are located at the left and right bottom corners of the shroud. The shroud will not fall on you as there are two more screws at the top of the car- do not remove these. Also remove the catch that is located in the middle bottom of the radiator- just rotate it 90 degrees and pull it out.

5. Loosen the clutch/blade assembly completely. Push the bottom of the shroud towards the rear of the car and squeeze the assembly between the shroud and radiator. Be careful not to bend the cooling fins on the radiator with the fan blades.

6. Replace old fan clutch with the new one and assemble in reverse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fan Clutch & Pulley.JPG (525.5 KB, 1203 views)
File Type: jpg Oil Cooler Torx- Right.JPG (499.7 KB, 948 views)
File Type: jpg Oil Cooler Torx- Left.JPG (467.4 KB, 747 views)
File Type: jpg Oil Cooler Tab Insert.JPG (382.3 KB, 690 views)
File Type: jpg Shroud Torx Left.JPG (518.5 KB, 727 views)

Last edited by markjm3; Wed, Jul-23-2008 at 06:51:08 AM.
Jump to top markjm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Jul-23-2008, 06:22:36 AM   #2
markjm3

United States

More pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shroud Torx Right.JPG (459.4 KB, 428 views)
File Type: jpg Removable catch.JPG (350.4 KB, 357 views)
Old Thu, Jul-24-2008, 02:19:12 PM   #3
Rat Fink
Seven years of college, down the drain . . . .

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjm3 View Post

Tools Req:
1. 32mm wrench (I spent more time driving around looking for this than it took to change the clutch.) Go to Sears and save yourself some time. Better yet, check your local automotive retailer and see if you can loan one. I couldn't find one as all the retailers in my area only carried the 36mm for Fords.
You can also check out a well supplied bicycle shop. Those that carry tools should have a 32mm headset spanner/wrench. I used my Campagnolo headset wrench when I did my UDP's - worked great
Jump to top Rat Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-29-2008, 10:00:03 PM   #4
bmw_mthr33

United States

this was great info! thanks again...
Jump to top bmw_mthr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-07-2009, 10:09:46 AM   #5
indoctrin8ed

I'm so glad I found this forum. I just did mine tonight, and thankfully inspired by these posts.

I had to make a pulley holder. No screwdriver would do. I bought a $3 piece of 3/16th thick strip (about 1" wide x 18" long) of steel from Home Depot and drilled one 1/2" hole near the corner, which could set over a pully screw. This did the trick. There was at least 30 lbs of torque on that nut.

My fan exploded for no known reason. It was causing a vibration that was horrible and I was panicing thinking it was something bad like a main bearing or a vanos issue or some god-knows-what expensive problem. 82k miles. I was so happy to discover that the fan had blown up. 5 of the 11 blades were all but gone and no damage to the inside, 4 were still found in the slash guard below.

I hope was nothing more than an old brittle fan, but the cause will reveal itself it it's something more - like a bad water pump bearing or a clutch that locks up and puts the full 8500 RPM of force on the fan. Knock on wood.

Thanks for the posts...
Jump to top indoctrin8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-07-2009, 10:40:06 PM   #6
Tonester
Banned

Viet Nam

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoctrin8ed View Post

My fan exploded for no known reason. It was causing a vibration that was horrible and I was panicing thinking it was something bad like a main bearing or a vanos issue or some god-knows-what expensive problem. 82k miles. I was so happy to discover that the fan had blown up. 5 of the 11 blades were all but gone and no damage to the inside, 4 were still found in the slash guard below.

I hope was nothing more than an old brittle fan, but the cause will reveal itself it it's something more - like a bad water pump bearing or a clutch that locks up and puts the full 8500 RPM of force on the fan. Knock on wood.

Thanks for the posts...
I would check the amount of play you have in the water pump, sounds like it might be going out.
Jump to top Tonester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-09-2009, 03:16:33 PM   #7
alfredocamacho

In the garage:

Puerto Rico

Do you remove the nut to the passenger side or driver side?
Jump to top alfredocamacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-23-2009, 04:20:54 AM   #8
bzsbimmer

In the garage:

South Korea

It's a reverse thread so lefty tighty, righty loosey
If under the car, to loosen it's CCW or pull toward the driver
Old Thu, Sep-24-2009, 05:57:24 PM   #9
bzsbimmer

In the garage:

South Korea

Just did mine last night and although I busted up my elbow skin (car wanted blood) it went without a huge hitch.
Once under the car it was easy to spot the bolts that needed to be removed and it went really easy.
The fan isn't as fragile as everyone makes it out to be. I used a new fan clutch and fan from AutohausAZ.com and saved quite a bit.
This DIY was a godsend!!!
Old Wed, Aug-10-2011, 02:21:37 AM   #10
Don Draper
Flappy Paddle Flapper

Jamaica

Default Re: Fan Clutch DIY

Old thread is old...but I wanted to say thanks for the DIY. Just used it, and going in from under probably saved me some trouble. Thanks!

I used to Love to Flap My Paddle
Jump to top Don Draper is offline   Reply With Quote