BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Faults, Fixes and DIY
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Faults, Fixes and DIY Please share your experience and knowledge with other members by contributing your own DIY, or by helping another member find the elusive fix!

Old Wed, Apr-19-2006, 10:05:11 PM   #11
chicagobob
Dr. Law

United States

When i do this mod, i plan on adding a bolt, screwing it into the firewall and thigtening the bolt up against the firewall. I figure that if you put some torque on the screw with the bolt, it will stay put and not turn as easily. Anyone do this before?

e46 M3 JB/IR, BBS RGR w/ Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Dinan Stage 1, Dinan Exhaust, UUC Motorwerks Rasp-X, Huper-Optik tint, Depo Smoked, Body painted corners w/ license plate delete, V-CSL trunk, ZHP Shifter, Alcantara Boot and E-Brake, Pioneer AVH-5300BT w/ Navi, Focal Solid 4 running 165 KRX2 all around, MB Quart ONX1.1500D w/ 12" Diamond Audio Hex Pro 12", V1 Hardwired, Cheetah GPS, Blinder M-20 Xtreme, Powerflex RTABs.

Looking for Jet Black CSL front bumper and Diffuser. PM me if you got em.
Jump to top chicagobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Apr-19-2006, 10:56:52 PM   #12
LagunaE46
Bimmerofile :)

Poland

Quote:
Originally Posted by asnpcwiz
How far do you screw in the bolt? I guess what I'm trying to ask is how do I determine exactly where the clutch engages and the proper place to stop the clutch?
thats my question exactly, do you need to adjust it some how or just screw it in all the way??
Jump to top LagunaE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-21-2006, 02:51:49 PM   #13
asnpcwiz
MMM Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaE46
thats my question exactly, do you need to adjust it some how or just screw it in all the way??
No answers yet huh? Anyone?

- 2004 3.0 X5 Sterling Grey/Black
- 2012 Audi A6
Jump to top asnpcwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-21-2006, 07:11:30 PM   #14
LagunaE46

Poland

Quote:
Originally Posted by asnpcwiz
No answers yet huh? Anyone?
hmm, from what the pics are showing it looks like you just have to screw it in all the way, since stock unit is was shorter than the elevator bolt....thats where you gain that extra height from the longer bolt itself not by adjustment, but thats just my 02 cents
Old Mon, Apr-24-2006, 01:49:33 PM   #15
pba110

hey, do you guys think it would be same size bolt for an e36 m3?
Jump to top pba110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-24-2006, 06:35:55 PM   #16
LagunaE46

Poland

Quote:
Originally Posted by pba110
hey, do you guys think it would be same size bolt for an e36 m3?
hmm looks like im having difficulties finding one of those damn bolts, i went to like 3 home depot and they dont carry it, so i just picked up another bolt and like a felt rubber pad built onto a aluminum washer, screw that sucka onto the bolt and i think itll work , ill post some pics later
Old Mon, Apr-24-2006, 10:01:33 PM   #17
CornGas
Banned

I found one. Works great. Found out something interesting about the car also (maybe only to me). If you turn the key to start without engaging the clutch, then slowly engage the clutch it will start up when it is pressed far enough. That is the max you can have stop stick out and it is still far from the catch point.
Jump to top CornGas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-24-2006, 11:46:29 PM   #18
fastfed

Can someone explain what this clutch stop mod does? Thanks
Jump to top fastfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-25-2006, 01:45:48 AM   #19
OZBMW
///M3 S50B30 Avusblau

If your clutch engagment point is near the carpet, the stop bolt does nothing. If your clutch engages halfway or near the top the bolt just stops you pressing the pedal all the way to the carpet, that is, it eliminates unnecessary travel.

To adjust the bolt to the correct setting you need the engine running then press the clutch all the way down and select a gear....while you are holding the clutch pedal down with your foot ask a friend (if you own an M3 you will no doubt have lots of friends) to measure the pedal travel...while your friend is down on his hands and knees with his head in the footwell start lifting the clutchpedal up slowly and WATCH the tacho needle (handbrake ON !!!) when you see the tacho needle start to fall your clutch is starting to bite. Note that position ,for example carpet to pedal 1.5" now deduct half inch = 1", that is the distance that your clutch stop should be from the measurement point on the carpet.

The extra half inch travel is to prevent premature clutchwear.

Last edited by OZBMW; Tue, Apr-25-2006 at 01:57:58 AM.
Jump to top OZBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-25-2006, 04:57:38 AM   #20
fastfed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZBMW
If your clutch engagment point is near the carpet, the stop bolt does nothing. If your clutch engages halfway or near the top the bolt just stops you pressing the pedal all the way to the carpet, that is, it eliminates unnecessary travel.

To adjust the bolt to the correct setting you need the engine running then press the clutch all the way down and select a gear....while you are holding the clutch pedal down with your foot ask a friend (if you own an M3 you will no doubt have lots of friends) to measure the pedal travel...while your friend is down on his hands and knees with his head in the footwell start lifting the clutchpedal up slowly and WATCH the tacho needle (handbrake ON !!!) when you see the tacho needle start to fall your clutch is starting to bite. Note that position ,for example carpet to pedal 1.5" now deduct half inch = 1", that is the distance that your clutch stop should be from the measurement point on the carpet.

The extra half inch travel is to prevent premature clutchwear.

WOW!! that's nuts.. Is it really worth it?? I have a race car ( mustang ) that's actually a 5speed ( tremec ) and never once heard of anyone doing something like this..
Jump to top fastfed is offline   Reply With Quote