BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Apr-07-2013, 06:53:01 PM   #511
rve
In ///M we trust.

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Default Re: SMG troubleshooting FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rontgen View Post
I put this together to hopefully help troubleshoot the Hydraulic Unit activation circuit. There are two fuses (F102 & F1) that protect this circuit. I've also made notes with pin numbers (both relay and socket) at the salmon relay.

It appears as though the HU motor is the common failure point, although I'm not sure if it's typically an open/shorted winding or a mechanical failure? Regardless, I've included a typical resistance (as measured on my car) that you should read across the motor windings. The DME Electronics ground stud is on the firewall, just behind the DME. That reading is taken with the relay unplugged, directly at the relay socket.

**Disclaimer** - If you are not comfortable with a digital multimeter and/or do not understand the concept of electrical resistance, you should find someone who is to help!

Hope this helps!

Good stuff, Rontgen Where can I find more of these schematics?

Jump to top rve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Apr-10-2013, 03:49:51 AM   #512
LKN M3
Chicago Speedway 2013

United States

So, my SMG trans has been acting up for a while now. Light comes on, vehicle acts strange, drops gears, looses the gear under pull and just revs, drop down gear and then accelerates fine.

I would cycle it on and off. Light goes away, for a minute or a week. After cycling, it drives just fine. Then a hiccup, light comes on, drives like above.

Took it to the dealer, and great news, trans and everything they "think should be replaced". I love this car but was ready to drive it off a bridge.

So, I started thinking, this couldn't be a hardware, parts problem. Why would it drive flawless sometimes and not others. Everything I know says if something is broken it will get worse, not heal itself. Ok, it has to be electrical so I replaced the salmon relay, yes $6 part fixes my car....Damn, wrong.

I took the car to a local Indy shop. He suggested replacing the trans speed sensor. He said it was a$130 part and in the grand scheme of things, why not. That was a hell of a lot cheaper than the crazy money to replace everything.

So, 3 weeks after the replacement part is installed and not a single light. Smooth shifts, life is good.

Hope this helps someone. $130 smg fix!!! Money well spent.

"The bigger risk in life is taking no risk at all"
www.facebook.com/mlife.worldwide
Jump to top LKN M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-10-2013, 02:42:35 PM   #513
SteveEvans

United Kingdom

It would be useful to know what error codes were being reported that corresponded to this failure.

Steve

Last edited by SteveEvans; Wed, Apr-10-2013 at 03:21:54 PM.
Jump to top SteveEvans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-10-2013, 05:33:25 PM   #514
LKN M3
Chicago Speedway 2013

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEvans View Post
It would be useful to know what error codes were being reported that corresponded to this failure.

Steve
I will get that for you.

"The bigger risk in life is taking no risk at all"
www.facebook.com/mlife.worldwide
Jump to top LKN M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-18-2013, 02:00:00 AM   #515
jtlaxca

United States

Unhappy Re: SMG troubleshooting FAQ

Dear Members:

I have an issue with my 2002 BMW M3 car with the SMG transmission. It is stuck in neutral & unable to start the car. I have replaced the salmon relay; it only worked for a few hours, then the same problem again. I have decided to go ahead & replaced the SMG PUMP.

(1) Does anyone have an used in working condition SMG pump?

(2) can someone please help me with bleeding procedure using autoenginuity software? I do not have the software. Does anyone have it in the D.C. area/Virginia/ Maryland area?

thank you so much for your help in this matter
jlt4m@virginia.edu

Last edited by jtlaxca; Thu, Apr-18-2013 at 02:04:32 AM.
Jump to top jtlaxca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-18-2013, 02:35:25 PM   #516
SteveEvans

United Kingdom

Does the pump run when you open the door?

There are a number of things which could inhibit starting; the brake switch would be cheaper to replace than the SMG pump!

Steve
Jump to top SteveEvans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-26-2013, 12:18:15 PM   #517
ssmann

United States

Default Pls help SMG problems

Hello brethern in the know, I have a problem with my E46 M3 2002 SMG that has been playing up for 2 weeks now. Am running out of ideas to diagnose and resolve, pls help me.

Symptoms

- after not driving the car for almost 2 weeks, went out for a drive. Car revved well, as was good
- parked car in garage, shut off engine and heard this buzzing sound from engine
- opened bonnet and discovered the sound coming from where the pentosin reservoir sits, indicating the pump continues to prime even when shut down
- this went on for 5 mins and when it finally stopped priming, pentosin leaked out from the reservoir, indicating to me pressure released????
- car wouldn't start therafter
- towed to mech, salmon relay changed, car can start but gears cannot engage. Also discovered a burnt 40amp fuse for the pump.....
- no noticeable fluid leaks, hoses etc in order

Fault code as follows, read from GT1

- Implausible value, pressure band exceeded
- activation relay, hydraulic pump
- P1715 pressure band undershot

Do these symptoms sound familiar and does it ultimately mean I have a failed pump? Pls help me......

Thanks!

Last edited by ssmann; Fri, Apr-26-2013 at 12:41:47 PM.
Jump to top ssmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Apr-27-2013, 02:11:49 AM   #518
ssmann

United States

Really appreciate someone's help on this to share some light so as I make an informed decision......tq
Jump to top ssmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, May-11-2013, 07:52:47 PM   #519
capnmark4
We're not going to Guam are we?

In the garage:

Antarctica

Default Re: Pump failure on 2005 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGuy206 View Post
Customer got stuck at a parking lot and his M3 would not crank or start. SMG knob is stuck and vehicle is stuck in reverse gear. M3 was towed to the shop.
<snip>
Checked power and ground the following day and got nothing. Checked the 40amp fuse in the E-Box and was blown. Installed new fuse and pump now works; <snip>

This is the first time I have seen a SMG pump fail and fuse blow on a 2005 M3.
BINGO! Count that times 2 now. My SMG light came on driving home. All seemed OK (no issues shifting or anything else). Replaced the salmon relay which I bought a couple of years back for just such a circumstance. However, when I went to start the car, it is now stuck in first. Couldn't find a match to my issue on the forum . I was ready to give up, have a tow truck come get it out of my garage with the back wheels off the ground (somehow) and take it to the shop. Saw this post and went to check the fuse...blown! At least I should be able to drive it to the shop (or at least get it into Neutral) to have the codes read to see if the pump needs to be replaced.

'06 M3 Cabriolet/SilberGrau/Gray/SMG
clear reflectors, smoked corners, DICE Silverline Pro
New pic coming soon
BMWCCA 429926
Jump to top capnmark4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-12-2013, 07:36:10 AM   #520
rats72

In the garage:

Australia

Gday All
Ok ive been reading blogs on smg1 e36 faults for 4 years now. I have spent stupid amounts of money trying to get rid of E3 faults. I have asked and asked and tried to correct these issues. I think I nknow more about these system than BMW currently does because they sure cannot fix the problem. Damn that E3 fault code. I give up.
Can some one give me a straightr answer is the SMG 1 faults can be cleared and what tool to use to clear them. All I keep seeing is engine fault code removal but nothing on SMG 1removal tools. AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH its so painfull. PPPPPPPlllllllleeeease point me in the correct direction. I need this part so bad i cannot deal with reading any more blogs on this, I must be up 5000 hrs of research and yet not one straight answer.
Jump to top rats72 is offline   Reply With Quote