BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Faults, Fixes and DIY
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Faults, Fixes and DIY Please share your experience and knowledge with other members by contributing your own DIY, or by helping another member find the elusive fix!

Old Sat, Nov-17-2012, 08:38:25 PM   #11
delirium45
Bottom Feeder

United States

Default Re: DIY: Fix stripped drain bung for oil pan

that was the situation i was in when mine happened.
same deal, just with a socket, once you get past the part that is stripped/galled (two threads closest to bolt head), you will be able to twist it out, so you need initial down/out pressure on the bolt.

2011 Rocky Mountain Region GTS4 champion & "Rookie of the Year"
2012 Rocky Mountain Region GTS3 champion
2013 National GTS3 - 4th place
Thanks Sponsors: SCR Performance
Jump to top delirium45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Nov-17-2012, 11:00:45 PM   #12
jyi
Banned

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by delirium45 View Post
that was the situation i was in when mine happened.
same deal, just with a socket, once you get past the part that is stripped/galled (two threads closest to bolt head), you will be able to twist it out, so you need initial down/out pressure on the bolt.
I tried to pry it with a flathead while turning the bolt... I tried to back it out with a vice grip it out while pulling on it... it's not budging..
What do it do~~!!!
Jump to top jyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Nov-18-2012, 01:37:52 AM   #13
delirium45
Bottom Feeder

United States

well we're certainly already into the 'try at your own risk' territory, so with that in mind:

since it is already galled up... tighten it this will remove the offending threads and ram the aluminum of the pan threads into the recesses of the steal bolt's threads. then try to 'loosen' and pull down on it... i think a flathead is the wrong idea, you want to apply even pressure while loosening.
if it comes out a little bit, keep the angular pressure while turning and try to get it to catch on the 'good' bolt threads and work it out with that way.

Old Sun, Nov-18-2012, 05:53:04 AM   #14
m3fftl

In the garage:

United States

Not helpful for removing the bolt, but when mine was stripped I tapped it out to a larger size and used a helicoil and the original bolt. A helicoil is a spring shaped thingy that screws into the retaped hole to make it the original size, I had it like that for over 2.5 years with no issues.
AST 4200 550f 650r | Vorshlag camber plates | Power Flex rtab & fcab | TMS RCAs | AFE stg2 cai | Super Sprint Race | Auto Solutions SSK | Macht Schnell Studs | V1 | OEM LEDs | VCSL CF Bootlid | 18x9.5 et 35 Apex ARC8 | ZIIs 265/35s
Jump to top m3fftl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Nov-18-2012, 04:56:30 PM   #15
delirium45
Bottom Feeder

United States

yea, i agree, helicoil is good idea, but it is also a last resort in my mind... if you can tap hole to a slightly larger size (still smaller than drilling to insert helicoil) you have the helicoil option as a back-up if the tapping doesn't work.
which is why i went with the larger tap, had helicoil at the ready just in case, and haven't needed it since i wrote this DIY.
glad to hear you helicoil is holding up as well, that's good news for my back-up plan, should i ever need it.

Old Sun, Nov-18-2012, 11:15:18 PM   #16
jyi
Banned

United States

well I got the bolt out..
I was under the car for about 4 hours pulling, twisting, leveraging, trying all kinds of shiiiit to try to get it out. I tried so hard, the bolt was wiggling in position but I would not back out to save my life...
I ended up hacksawing the head of the bolt off and pushed the threaded part into the drain pan and removed it via the big hole that is covered up with 6 x 10mm bolts so I didn't have to remove the pan.

The drain bung itself is pretty jacked up as you can imagine.
I ordered the Time-Sert kit and should arrive on Tuesday.
Hopefully the hole is not too damaged or widened to the point where I can't even do the Time-Sert kit. If that is the case, I'm just gonna tap a bigger hole.
Jump to top jyi is offline   Reply With Quote