BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Aug-27-2010, 08:42:00 AM   #31
RynoS54
wuuut wuuuuuut

United States

^ ok.....Perfect Glue #1 it is.....off to Micheal's this weekend
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Aug-27-2010, 10:37:02 AM   #32
turbotom1052

ive heard that there is no permanent fix to this problem. they all eventually fail. with that in mind i went with the double sided tape as its the least messy and when it fails i can just peel off, wipe with an alcohol swab, and reapply new tape. my first application has gotten me through the summer. (so far)
Jump to top turbotom1052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Aug-27-2010, 10:51:05 AM   #33
BlkBimM3R

is this happening on cars mostly parked on the street/in the heat all the time? Or its just one of those things that will eventually happen?

Reason I ask is I've had a 1999 E36, and a 2001 E46 and haven't had the trim peel on either of them. My cars are always garaged unless I'm out and have to park in a public lot or street for a couple hours.
Jump to top BlkBimM3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Aug-27-2010, 02:06:17 PM   #34
RSM333
M Therapy

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmermilan View Post
Please everyone....do yourselves a favor and get a new set of felt trim from the dealer....PLEASE! We drive BMW M3's not KIA's!!! lol
Nothing to do with cutting corners like the manufacturer apparently did with this design. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the trim in appearance other than it falls off due to time/heat. What's wrong with fixing something as easy as this with a little glue as oppose to forking over $450 bucks for the same thing to reoccur down the road. It's not alway about the money.
03 Tiag || KW V2 coilovers w/ Vorshlag CP || Brembo 355/345 || Afe Stg1 || Okada Plasma Coils || SS v2 stepped headers, SS Race Cats, El Diablo muffler|| OEM Csl diffuser, OEM Csl trunk || APEX 18x9.5 /18x10.5
My Journal
Jump to top RSM333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Aug-28-2010, 05:07:37 PM   #35
silbul

In the garage:

United States

>>Shoe Goo does work! I used it on one section of the trim and it has been >>holding strong for over 2 years.

I *might* have been the first person to mention Shoe Goo (last year). I have now had to rectify the failure (from OEM, not Shoe Goo) almost all the way around both doors, front edge to back edge. No Shoe Goo failures unless you count the occasion where I didn't apply enough of it. I got to the point where I pulled apart the existing adhesive in order to do it and get it done.

Best results for me included:

1. Use 240 grit sandpaper to remove old adhesive, both surfaces, then wipe with isopropyl alcohol to clean surfaces.

2. Apply Shoe Goo, liberally but not excessively, and preferrably a light layer on both surfaces. Use a wooden coffee stirrer to spread the layer out fairly evenly.

3. Use 1", blue painters tape, long enough to go from the the headliner, over the felt trim, and stretch over the exterior, shadowline trim. Place tape at roughly 1"-2" gaps but not more than 2" apart.

I prefer to close the door but leave the window down so as not to stretch the tape further, plus it prevents the fumes from accumulating in the interior.
I find that overnight in the garage (to keep the temperature around 65-75 F) is adequate, and I can remove the tape at that time (but not pull on the felt yet).

Estimate about 15-20 minutes to repair 2'. Most of the time is spent in surface prep, and the surface prep is what will make the repair last.

Good luck!
Jump to top silbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Aug-28-2010, 09:18:29 PM   #36
RynoS54
wuuut wuuuuuut

United States

^ Thanks for the tip
Old Wed, Dec-01-2010, 06:00:59 PM   #37
silbul

In the garage:

United States

Well, I have to retract my procedure as the Shoe Goo has failed on me. I am pretty sure I followed my own procedure, but the driver's side has come down again. Back to the drawing board for me!

>>Shoe Goo does work! I used it on one section of the trim and it has been >>holding strong for over 2 years.

I *might* have been the first person to mention Shoe Goo (last year). I have now had to rectify the failure (from OEM, not Shoe Goo) almost all the way around both doors, front edge to back edge. No Shoe Goo failures unless you count the occasion where I didn't apply enough of it. I got to the point where I pulled apart the existing adhesive in order to do it and get it done.

Best results for me included:

1. Use 240 grit sandpaper to remove old adhesive, both surfaces, then wipe with isopropyl alcohol to clean surfaces.

2. Apply Shoe Goo, liberally but not excessively, and preferrably a light layer on both surfaces. Use a wooden coffee stirrer to spread the layer out fairly evenly.

3. Use 1", blue painters tape, long enough to go from the the headliner, over the felt trim, and stretch over the exterior, shadowline trim. Place tape at roughly 1"-2" gaps but not more than 2" apart.

I prefer to close the door but leave the window down so as not to stretch the tape further, plus it prevents the fumes from accumulating in the interior.
I find that overnight in the garage (to keep the temperature around 65-75 F) is adequate, and I can remove the tape at that time (but not pull on the felt yet).

Estimate about 15-20 minutes to repair 2'. Most of the time is spent in surface prep, and the surface prep is what will make the repair last.

Good luck!
Jump to top silbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-01-2010, 07:15:43 PM   #38
admranger
Registered troublemaker

United States

3M weatherstripping adhesive, aka "gorilla snot" has worked for me in Vegas heat. I never even did any prep work, just smeared it on and used blue painters tape to hold it overnight in the garage.

Probably should have sanded/cleaned it first.

The yellow stuff will show if you put too much on and it oozes out. The black stuff might be better for aesthetics...dunno.

'11 E90 M3, Melbourne/Black/Fox Red/Black, 6MT, roof, PP2, heated seats, Eibach Pro Kit, GC Street camber plates, Arc-8's, Technic harness, JL XD 600/6
'16 X5 40e Mineral White/Black Dakota Leather, ZLL, ZCW, ZDA, ZDB, ZPP, side shades, multi contour seats, HK stereo
Jump to top admranger is offline   Reply With Quote