BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Fri, Feb-23-2018, 04:19:16 AM   #1
tripitz

United States

Default Wiring delete - oops.. no start

Hi all. In final stages of track car prep. I had a lot of wires lying around such as for the heated seats and seat controls and wanted to remove them while I had the floor plates up and was installing the seats and harnesses. After cutting each wire, I reattached the battery and started the car. I did this for every connector that I cut. Everything seemed to be fine.

I then started tracing individual cut wires and clipping them. Now the car will not start. Fuel pump does not prime and the car does not crank. Windows work. Headlights work. Wipers work. Brake lights work. Dash lights come on. CEL comes on; cannot access fault codes. ICV turns on (I can hear it).

Fuses are good. Relays are functional and getting power. Ignition on results in power being sent to the fuel pump relay. Pump does not run and starter is not cranking.

I traced and cut a few grounds from the terminal box on the front passenger side. I re-grounded the 2 thicker ones just to see to no effect (I figured that these would be common ground feeders and a source of problems).

This is going to be one wire and seems crazy. I did clip 1 wire each from most of the control modules; I believe these went to the OBC. Every cut wire is capped to prevent shorting.

Any trouble shooting steps I can do? I have a shop that can help me; just a pain to get it there since the car will not start and it will be $$$$.
Jump to top tripitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Apr-08-2018, 04:41:08 AM   #2
Bert ///M3

Netherlands

Default Re: Wiring delete - oops.. no start

Your best start would be digging up a wiring diagram for a E36 to begin with.

Fuelpump relay is energized through the DME. So most probably you cut power to the DME. But it should crank regards off as this has nothing to do with the DME.

Also on the no cranking. There is a few things there that could cause your issue, clutch switch, EWS system. It is actually not a difficult circuit but I suggest looking up a drawing.

I cut up my wiring loom in the track car last week and how I did it:
1. Take out all the wiring in separate looms you don't need
2. pull all the fuses you don't need
3. Cut off all the unused connectors and cut the wires in the fusebox if it has no more fuse in it.
4. Then cut all loose wires from the loom that you cut in #3
5. check fusebox and left and right splice box for splices where there is just 1 wire left, you can cut this as well as it leads nowhere.

That gives you a wiring loom that has 98% of your unwanted wiring removed.
Jump to top Bert ///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-09-2018, 01:11:00 PM   #3
Double E
Double E

United States

Clutch pedal switch...start there. I bumped mine once & disconnected it. Same condition.

'97 M3/2/5. Hellrot on Black ...and a racecar.
Jump to top Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-11-2018, 03:34:23 AM   #4
jagman

United States

Cutting the OBC wiring will do this. Not sure why, but I think it's tied to the ews. Get a non-ews chip or flash. Also search on bimmerforums for this problem.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
Jump to top jagman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-11-2018, 04:56:56 AM   #5
tripitz

United States

Thanks guys. As a follow-up, it turns out that as I was cleaning up the wiring looms, I ended up loosening a few connectors and disconnected one wire that had been soldered together.

All in all, it was "easy" as these things go. I *was* being careful with the cutting...

Car has been to the track and ran flawlessly. Appreciate the responses!
Jump to top tripitz is offline   Reply With Quote