BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Fri, Dec-22-2017, 04:34:26 PM   #11
KevinLarson

United States

Default Re: Estoril Blue 1999 E36 M3 Convertible *Build Thread!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaz3 View Post
I would suggest to pull the carpet completely and use a good power washer to wash the carpet. Shampoo the hell out of it. Blast with power washer and let air dry. Then spot clean if needed.
I was thinking about that, but wasn't sure if it would make it moldy or ruin the shape of it.
Jump to top KevinLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Dec-23-2017, 01:32:13 PM   #12
M_Parallel
Mr. OEM

Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLarson View Post
I was thinking about that, but wasn't sure if it would make it moldy or ruin the shape of it.
I pulled my 328i vert carpet. On verts it’s a one-piece.

You will need to remove the heater core or cut inside the footwell ducts at the heater core. That way you can pull it without removal of heater core and will be invisible after reinstall.

'98 M3 3.2 SMG Cabrio • Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz • Deutschland-ausführung
Jump to top M_Parallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-26-2017, 03:14:54 AM   #13
KevinLarson

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Parallel View Post
I pulled my 328i vert carpet. On verts it’s a one-piece.

You will need to remove the heater core or cut inside the footwell ducts at the heater core. That way you can pull it without removal of heater core and will be invisible after reinstall.
Ill keep that in mind, I think I am going to hold off on the carpet cleaning, as the brush I am using to go at the adhesive after the De-Solv-It does its job is starting to make the carpet fuzz a little bit in spots. Hopefully the pressure washer will take it all off, but I will have to wait until its not literally 1 degree out.
Old Tue, Dec-26-2017, 03:16:08 AM   #14
KevinLarson

United States

Anyone know where to find a set of the M3 floor mats in gray for a vert? Cant find them anywhere in light gray. I was told that the coupe ones will fit, true or false?
Old Wed, Dec-27-2017, 12:02:02 PM   #15
M_Parallel
Mr. OEM

Netherlands

Quote:
Anyone know where to find a set of the M3 floor mats in gray for a vert? Cant find them anywhere in light gray. I was told that the coupe ones will fit, true or false?
These an option?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...y/82111468286/

They are not the M3 version, but at least genuine gray. Keep in mind in EU we don't have "M3" on our floormats at all.

Old Thu, Dec-28-2017, 12:09:42 AM   #16
KevinLarson

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Parallel View Post
These an option?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...y/82111468286/

They are not the M3 version, but at least genuine gray. Keep in mind in EU we don't have "M3" on our floormats at all.
Its an "option" just not my first. I was really hoping for the M3 ones (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...y/82111469804/). Considering going with titan gray as I can get them, but im not sure how they compare to the oem carpet color. Considering two tone but not sure how it would look.
Old Fri, Dec-29-2017, 12:12:41 AM   #17
M_Parallel
Mr. OEM

Netherlands

Quote:
Its an "option" just not my first. I was really hoping for the M3 ones (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...y/82111469804/). Considering going with titan gray as I can get them, but im not sure how they compare to the oem carpet color. Considering two tone but not sure how it would look.
I understand, but since these are NLA...this is the only OEM option.

Old Fri, Dec-29-2017, 05:01:09 PM   #18
ultamte

United States

Great job. Looking forward to more progress - from one Estoril Blue Vert owner to another.

ultamte

E36 M3 Convertible: Estoril/Black/5spd

F30 335i xDrive Msport: Mineral Grey/Black/6spd
E39 540/6: Arctic Silver/Black/6spd
E39 528iA with Euro/M5 Mods: Titanium Silver/Black
E30 325ix: Lachsilber Metallic/Silver/5spd - SOLD 2/24/11
Jump to top ultamte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-01-2018, 07:15:01 PM   #19
KevinLarson

United States

Its been around 2 months since I last posted an update, and in that time a lot has happened...

First off I got the last interior piece pulled, the dash. Was not nearly as complicated as I thought it would have been, but I did find that there is a much smaller space between the windshield and dash than in the coupes and sedans. Just made getting the 4 bolts out a little trickier but no big deal. It will be getting wraped in Alcantara.
image1 (2) by Kevin Larson, on Flickr

Next I pulled the carpet. I was really excited because I found a site had (or so they said they did) a brand new OEM gray vert carpet. After dishing out the $500, which I think is 110% worth it, they emailed me a few days later saying they don't actually have it on hand. After doing more research BMW no longer makes the carpet, which I had assumed but thought this site may have some new old stock, and I am the 27th in line for if they ever do. With that been said I think its more realistic that I find a mint used one. For the time being though, Im going to focus on cleaning it the best I can, and my dad actually found a pretty good method to getting off the spray adhesive. He sprayed some lacquer thinner on it and then heated it with an iron over a rag. I haven't seen it yet but he says that it is going to be pretty clean and will work for now, especially since I have the brand new floor mats...

Before any cleaning:
Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 1.31.43 PM by Kevin Larson, on Flickr

Mid Cleaning/After Some Work from my Dad (no shampoo yet just sprayed with water):
image1 (4) by Kevin Larson, on Flickr
image2 (1) by Kevin Larson, on Flickr

After all that here is the current state of the car...
Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 1.31.54 PM by Kevin Larson, on Flickr

The last thing that went on during the holidays was I finalized my choice on the interior work.
After receiving some samples from both Lseats.com and Autoberry, I came to the conclusion that this route was no where near what I want for the build.

The Lseats.com samples were sent very professionally and I was impressed. They came in a nice bubble mailer on a very professional looking flier that had all the colors and some explanations of the product etc on it.
Also I noticed that the Lseats.com guys were very easy to contact and customer service was worlds better then Autoberry.

The Autoberry took forever to come and came in an unmarked letter envelope. When I opened it, all that was in it was a extremely small piece of leather, and that was it. I will say that the Autoberry ones were noticeably quality leather, much less grainy then the Lseats.com ones. Both pasted the fire test though.

If it was a daily driver I would totally go with the Lseats.com ones, at only $300 which is more than half the price of the Autoberry ones its a easy choice. I can post the samples later if anyone wants to see them....

The real reason I didn't go either way is because someone sent me a picture of there Autoberry covers installed, and they were HORRIBLE. The amount of wrinkles was insane, so its clear that you will need to add foam and heavily steam for it to be anywhere near perfect. At that point, I am already paying close to $1500 for the covers alone, and then around another $1000 to have a local upholstery company put them on and add foam and steam, which is something I don't want to attempt. I considered the Autoberries because the leather was decent quality, but this changed that.

At the end of it, everything is now sent out to NWCrafted in Washington, rear seats, front seats, dash, shift and e brake boot, arm rests and a few other small things. Ive always wanted to work with them, when I did my GLI, but the money and timing wasn't right. This way I will know I am getting the best of the best materials and craftsmanship. My thinking was if I am going to spend around $2500 for some pre made covers that Isn't going to be exactly what I want, why not just spend the little more extra and get it done right the first time, and have everything done by the same person at the same time so it all matches.

Look them up on Instagram or heres there site https://www.nwcraftedinteriors.com/. Im sure he will be posting updates for on them.

Shipping was around $400 via Greyhound vs over $1000 via FedEx. I was skeptical, but they arrived in under 2 weeks.
Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 1.31.39 PM by Kevin Larson, on Flickr

Last edited by KevinLarson; Thu, Feb-01-2018 at 07:49:19 PM.
Old Thu, Feb-01-2018, 11:27:05 PM   #20
M_Parallel
Mr. OEM

Netherlands

Dashes from coupe/cabrio and sedan/touring are different, the latter two being deeper. This is to compensate for the shorter hood, while overall length and wheelbase and seat/steering wheel location are all in the same place. That why sedan/touring need the deeper dash.