BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Mon, Apr-02-2018, 02:33:04 AM   #41
Jrotax101
Tarmac Addict

In the garage:

England

Default Re: SuperSprint Euro exhaust system install grief

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawkRacing View Post
Did you mock up the exhaust on a bench before you installed it? I just did mine and flanges on both headers sit on a flat plane when bolted to the mid pipe. Realize alignments change when things are actually installed but just wishful thinking at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
I did not and it was a mistake. My engine was out and I could have checked the mid pipe to header fitment with the headers installed. That is the biggest lesson I came away with. I would have seen that the mid pipe flanges needed work and that, after attaching the mid pipe, one header touched the transmission case. One of the threads I read, someone cut off the mid pipe flanges and re-welded with correct fitment. A lot to do but so far the best solution I have seen I kind of wish I had done that but it is all installed now.
Yes, after attempting to install the first time I had to show turner that their midpipe was messed up. SS eventually said it was a bad batch (Jan 2017) and sent me a replacement a couple of months later. This isn't my only car, but turner didnt care that I was made to wait months with a car on jackstands for them to fix the mistake. Also, still to this date never got hardware included for the full system. No gaskets, nothing. Anyone else?

It still didn't fit, so I was the one Joe referenced above as cutting and re-welding. It could have worked just drilling out a few holes but the spacing was about half an inch off too, so there was a lot of stress on the headers and midpipe trying to force the dual pipes apart/together. So, while I had the flange cut and re-clocked, we also adjusting the spacing to be correct, hence the tubular brace on top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4779.JPG (323.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4773.JPG (353.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: png midpipe1.png (686.3 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Jrotax101; Mon, Apr-02-2018 at 02:37:45 AM.
Jump to top Jrotax101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Apr-02-2018, 01:35:55 PM   #42
JitteryJoe

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrotax101 View Post
Yes, after attempting to install the first time I had to show turner that their midpipe was messed up. SS eventually said it was a bad batch (Jan 2017) and sent me a replacement a couple of months later. This isn't my only car, but turner didnt care that I was made to wait months with a car on jackstands for them to fix the mistake. Also, still to this date never got hardware included for the full system. No gaskets, nothing. Anyone else?

It still didn't fit, so I was the one Joe referenced above as cutting and re-welding. It could have worked just drilling out a few holes but the spacing was about half an inch off too, so there was a lot of stress on the headers and midpipe trying to force the dual pipes apart/together. So, while I had the flange cut and re-clocked, we also adjusting the spacing to be correct, hence the tubular brace on top.
Yours were very bad. Mine were not off that much. That is really crappy quality control.
Old Mon, Apr-02-2018, 02:21:42 PM   #43
BlackHawkRacing

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
SS eventually said it was a bad batch (Jan 2017) and sent me a replacement a couple of months later.
Quote:
Yours were very bad. Mine were not off that much. That is really crappy quality control.
You know they have this joke that you never buy a Ferrari with a September production month. The factory is closed in August for holiday and when the employees return, they are bit rusty for the first month back. Here is to hopping that's what happened here.

Quote:
Also, still to this date never got hardware included for the full system. No gaskets, nothing. Anyone else?
Only hardware I got where the bolts for the headers to mid-pipe and some bracket looking hardware for the mid-pipe. Had to buy everything else new. Also, washers that came with the headers don't fit, they are too wide and do not sit flush on the flange.
Old Mon, Apr-02-2018, 04:23:03 PM   #44
JitteryJoe

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Only hardware I got where the bolts for the headers to mid-pipe and some bracket looking hardware for the mid-pipe. Had to buy everything else new. Also, washers that came with the headers don't fit, they are too wide and do not sit flush on the flange.
Gaskets are not included. You need to source those. If Euro headers & exhaust just get from Schmiedmann. You'll need a flange for the midpipe to muffler as well. Drill it out to 10mm to match what SS specs (stock is M8).

You need #3, 21, 22, 23
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=18_1129

I ordered M10 allen head stainless bolts & nuts from BoltDepot for midpipe to muffler.

Also, don't forget you need to move the stock heatshield if you are installing the SS muffler.

Last edited by JitteryJoe; Mon, Apr-02-2018 at 07:29:06 PM.
Jump to top JitteryJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-02-2018, 09:00:38 PM   #45
breadvan

United States

Italian QC is running neck and neck with the Chinese these days
Jump to top breadvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-02-2018, 09:17:24 PM   #46
BlackHawkRacing

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Gaskets are not included. You need to source those. If Euro headers & exhaust just get from Schmiedmann. You'll need a flange for the midpipe to muffler as well. Drill it out to 10mm to match what SS specs (stock is M8).

You need #3, 21, 22, 23
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=18_1129

I ordered M10 allen head stainless bolts & nuts from BoltDepot for midpipe to muffler.

Also, don't forget you need to move the stock heatshield if you are installing the SS muffler.
Yeah pickup up all the gaskets a few weeks ago from Turner. Was not familiar with that last point however. What do you mean move? Is it self explanatory when you install?
Old Mon, Apr-02-2018, 10:00:26 PM   #47
JitteryJoe

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
What do you mean move? Is it self explanatory when you install?
There are mount tabs on the SuperSprint muffler pipe. Look here for a picture of them mounted on my car
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...&postcount=123

You can remove the heat shield from your old stock muffler (assuming you still have it), clean it up, and mount on the SS muffler pipe. I used some new stainless bolts & nuts as the stock fasteners tend to get destroyed. If you don't have it I would get some aftermarket shields.
Old Mon, Apr-02-2018, 10:54:41 PM   #48
BlackHawkRacing

In the garage:

United States

Thanks man much appreciated

Last edited by BlackHawkRacing; Mon, Apr-02-2018 at 11:58:01 PM.
Jump to top BlackHawkRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-03-2018, 03:32:40 AM   #49
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

Wow I feel like junk ebay headers are about on par with these in terms of fitment... at least they look really pretty... can't believe they still sell them with this kind of quality issues.
Old Wed, Apr-04-2018, 05:29:53 AM   #50
L0ADED

United States

Since the E36 is a 20+ year old platform, I have a feeling they never updated the jigs to address fitment issues for their E36 parts. I would imagine they don't sell nearly as many E36 parts as they do E46 parts (mainly the headers and mid pipes). A few of their E46 parts have gone through revisions. Hopefully SS will be able to address the OPs issues. The quality of the materials they use, the 304 SS, is very durable and lasts a long time, similar to OE parts.
Jump to top L0ADED is offline   Reply With Quote