BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Tue, Aug-20-2019, 03:42:44 PM   #81
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: JaredMV's M3 Touring Build.

I very much doubt you jumped a tooth turning the engine over by hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youinreverse View Post
Just for future reference, you can pack heavy grease behind the bushing and then use a punch the same size as the opening. use a hammer and hit the punch. the force of the punch going in will use the grease to push the bushing out.
Bread > grease

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5,04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Aug-20-2019, 08:57:43 PM   #82
JaredMV
Amateur Weekend Mechanic

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I very much doubt you jumped a tooth turning the engine over by hand.
I did start the engine a few times so it was within the realm of possibility (from a troubleshooting standpoint).

JaredMV's M3 Touring Build: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=604213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredomin View Post
8k shipped. Lmk thanks
Jump to top JaredMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-27-2019, 11:40:59 PM   #83
JaredMV
Amateur Weekend Mechanic

In the garage:

United States

Alright, I'm stumped. I'm buying a transmission jack and some long extensions this weekend and pulling the transmission off. The new starter didn't fix the squealing issue and I can't figure out what the hell it is. It's not belts, it's not the throw out bearing, and it's not the starter. Could someone take a listen to this clip and let me know your thoughts? (VOLUME WARNING)

Some answers to questions you may have:
- The squeal happened before I put belts on, so it's not anything related to belts or something that's being driven by belts.
- The starter is brand new, and both starters have all of their teeth.
- I removed the slave cylinder and took a peek inside, there's nothing unusual about the pressure plate or the pivot fork.
- The pitch of the squeal changes slightly when I depress the clutch pedal.
- The squeal continues even if the car is in gear.

I'm so close to having a driving swap but this is the last hurdle to get over. If anyone has any inkling of what it may be, please let me know your thoughts.

JaredMV's M3 Touring Build: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=604213

Quote:
8k shipped. Lmk thanks
Old Wed, Aug-28-2019, 12:47:33 AM   #84
Steve M3

United States

It almost sounds like metal being milled, at least on my phone. Could the flywheel be in contact with something?
Jump to top Steve M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-28-2019, 02:48:54 PM   #85
JaredMV
Amateur Weekend Mechanic

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M3 View Post
It almost sounds like metal being milled, at least on my phone. Could the flywheel be in contact with something?
It's possible that it could be milling the plate that goes between the engine and transmission. When I separated the two the first time, it was deformed so I hammered it back to flat before I mated the trans back to the engine.

Quote:
8k shipped. Lmk thanks
Old Mon, Sep-02-2019, 05:28:08 AM   #86
JaredMV
Amateur Weekend Mechanic

In the garage:

United States

August 30, 2019:

I found the source of the squealing...

Unlike literally any other clutch on the market, this one is installed with the "hat" of the clutch disc toward the engine. The sleeve that the throw out bearing slides on was contacting the clutch disc and slowly milling itself a lip so the throw out bearing couldn't slide into the pressure plate.

I unbolted the sleeve from the transmission and took it to the bench grinder. After that I installed the clutch the correct way. Everything is working as it should.

Only problem is now the starter doesn't line up and it's pissing me off...

Quote:
8k shipped. Lmk thanks
Old Tue, Sep-03-2019, 04:10:24 PM   #87
JaredMV
Amateur Weekend Mechanic

In the garage:

United States

September 3, 2019:

Well, here we are - my 1,000th post on M3Forum. I've been on here for over 3 years and I've learned so much by reading and contributing on this forum. Thank you all for the help, moral support, and inspiration.

With this milestone, I also come bearing good news! After the whole clutch fiasco, I was able to get the starter bolted in properly so I could put the rest of the engine back together. My girlfriend installed my headlights while I installed the rest of the drivetrain and exhaust. I started it up and for the first time I brought the engine up to operating temperature. It's running smoothly and the Stromung muffler sounds much better than I anticipated! To say that I'm excited is an extreme understatement.

So what's next? I haven't dropped it to the ground just yet. I still have some adjustments to make to the tie rods and steering rack, but I plan on working that out on Friday so I can get it to The Driveway for an alignment. Right now, I'm on the old OE front struts and the wagon's sport Bilsteins in the rear. This is very much not the ideal suspension setup but I'll roll with it because it cost me $0 and I want to be as tall as possible so keep my wheels from rubbing for now.

Pics and vids to follow, but nothing right now since I was too ecstatic to take any.

To date, these are the parts that went into the engine/drivetrain refresh:
[X] WPC treated rod bearings
[X] Oil pan gasket
[X] Accessory belt drive kit (belts, tensioners, pulleys, hardware)
[X] Ignition service kit (spark plugs, coils)
[X] Thermostat kit (thermostat, gaskets, coolant)
[X] Rear main seal kit (RMS, housing, gasket)
[X] ECS Stainless clutch line
[X] XTR Stage 2 Clutch kit (w/ single mass flywheel)
[X] Giubo
[X] Elring Cylinder-head gasket set
[X] Sachs Slave cylinder
[~] PSDesigns reinforcement plates
[X] Revshift 95A poly engine mounts
[X] ECS Poly trans mounts
[X] Fuel filler hose (mpower22)
[X] ZHP steering rack
[X] Mishimoto Radiator
[~] Mishimoto Fan and shroud
[X] OEM Throttle position sensors
[X] OE Water pump
[X] Elring Crankcase gasket set
[N] OE Lower Timing Chain Guide
[X] OE VANOS Filter
[X] Timing chain
[X] Beisan rattle repair
[X] Beisan Timing chain guide
[X] Beisan VANOS seals
[X] OE updated Oil Separator Return Pipe
[X] OE updated Engine Oil Line/Pressure Hose
[X] Gates Power Steering rack seals
[X] M3 Mk60 DSC module
[X] M3 03.5+ Brake booster and MC
[X] S62 VANOS Springs
[X] Intake and exhaust cam pos. sensors
[X] Crank speed sensor
[X] Coolant expansion tank
[X] Brass clutch pin
[X] Clutch pivot fork
[X] Pilot bearing
[X] Driveshaft end bushing
[X] Clutch release arm spring
[X] Silicone radiator and heater hose kit
[X] Silicone and viton o-rings for coolant lines
[X] Silicone overflow line
[X] Vacuum pump hose
[X] SAP hose
[X] PS hose (res to pump)
[X] PS hose (cooler to res)
[X] PS hose (pump to rack)
[X] PS reservoir
[X] -06AN/12mmx1.5 adapter

Quote:
8k shipped. Lmk thanks

Last edited by JaredMV; Tue, Sep-03-2019 at 08:08:46 PM. Reason: Refresh items
Old Mon, Sep-09-2019, 06:11:14 PM   #88
JaredMV
Amateur Weekend Mechanic

In the garage:

United States

September 9th, 2019:

On Friday I tightened my outer tie rods and dropped the wagon onto the ground. When I took it for the first drive, the gears would engage harshly, but it seems like the clutch has self adjusted and shifts great now. I rubbed my way over to The Driveway and got a proper alignment and not-so-proper fender flaring. Don't worry, I won't be needing these fenders anyway.

So far it runs great and pulls hard! I'm about 300 miles into my clutch break in and haven't had too many issues. However as with any project, there are some things I need to address soon:
- It'm getting a P2402 code, which is the evap leak detection pump circuit. I might have been wrong about the evap system being identical, but I should have the parts needed to fix that. When navigating around parking lots or backing into a space, the engine will bog down to <500rpm and sometimes die if I don't giving it a defib with the throttle. I believe the two are related.
- There's still a slight leak at my fuel filter/FPR and at the AN adapter where the oil drain line screws into the oil pan. Both of these leaks are very slow, but should be addressed. There's also a small bit of oil on my oil pan gasket, so I may have to look into where that's coming from if it's constant.
- As you can see in the pics, the wheels poke... Hard. My friend Alvin gave me a beautiful fender roll job with the handle of a jack and that helped along with my newly added negative camber. My plan is to pick up a set of Hard Motorsport fender flares and running those for a couple years until I'm ready to really dig into this car's body work.
- The suspension setup is a hodgepodge of rusty OE M3 suspension, non-M Bilsteins, a rear Eibach sway bar, and a missing front bar. I will need to figure out what to do in this department soon.
- The subframe has not been reinforced, so I will need to order a VinceBar and find a professional to take on the task of welding the Bar and Redish plates in.
- It seems there's a slight exhaust leak at the headers/section 1.
- Diff and trans fluids will need to be changed when I change the oil in ~200 miles.
- The DSC system needs to be coded in since it's currently off.
- The mileage on the cluster is still showing the M3's mileage. I took note of the important mileage readings so it won't take much math, if any, to get the proper mileage coded. I still have the old wagon's cluster so I may have to get the EEPROM chip swapped over. I'm still in t he research phase for this project.
- I will need to talk to someone at DINAN to see if I can virginize my ECU and then have them reflash the tune, or if I'll need to buy the tune again. If I can virginize the ECU, that will make syncing the LCM and DSC much easier (and cleaner).
- I need to extend the coolant level sensor plug to the other side of the engine bay.

Overall I'm really happy that the wagon is running, though I couldn't have gotten this far without the help of my friends and many of you forum members. So thank you!

Wagon sees the ground for the first time in months:

Filling up the gas tank to get to the shop:

Alignment and fender flaring:

Fresh car wash to remove the sun-baked-on dirt:

Engine/chassis photo:

Quote:
8k shipped. Lmk thanks

Last edited by JaredMV; Mon, Sep-09-2019 at 06:29:50 PM. Reason: photos and formatting
Old Tue, Sep-10-2019, 01:19:28 AM   #89
KhanArt
CLEAN & SIMPLE

In the garage:

United States

Congrats! Now you must loose the altitude and gain some attitude.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Jump to top KhanArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-11-2019, 05:34:44 PM   #90
JaredMV
Amateur Weekend Mechanic

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanArt View Post
Congrats! Now you must loose the altitude and gain some attitude.
Haha thanks! Some body work is in the plans for the future but for now I'm going to focus on passing BAR inspection.

Quote:
8k shipped. Lmk thanks