BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Oct-17-2008, 02:13:46 PM   #1
bmwJohhnyD
user formerly known as bmwbob

United Nations

Default led tail light retrofit flash problem ATTN LED SUPERGURUS

so i took my car to the dealer for the 3rd time to get this done. this time with a 'euro' lcm and my old lcm. dealer said they wanted to re-attempt to reflash the old lcm again just to see if there was something they were doing wrong since they have recently changed their software etc.

i also had in hand the 'euro' lcm that i bought from a user on here:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=211412

this is is exactly what the service invoice stated:

Cust requests attempt to flash light control module for the led lights.

their response:

Attempted retrofit of led lighting via progman v 31.xx and cd55.xx via retrofit of led and facelift lighting and no change. Attempted same retrofitting with customer supplied ece lamp module and no change. loaded cd43.xx software in gt1 and attempted same retrofitting options with both suppled lamp control modules and no change. Contacted bmw technical support and determined retrofitting is not possible as vehicle was equipped with led lighting originally. no further action possible at this time.

WTF... i belive the statment regarding the vehicle had led lighting originally was a typo and it should read did not have it. i am going to confirm this today..

so again WTF.. it sounds like they tried really hard with different systems. why is this not working??

i know there are some bmw techs or other people that have flashed these lights tom @ eas, someone, anybody??
Jump to top bmwJohhnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Oct-17-2008, 06:37:52 PM   #2
chainy

United Kingdom

The euro spec lcm is the correct one if it is actually the part number you specify. (B61.31.9.133.021) I had the earlier lcm that shows up as a bmw compact item on Realoem.com on my late 2002 model when I bought it. I purchased the newer B61.31.9.133.021 lcm and LED retrofit kit and had it flashed and all has been well since.

IMO you either have the compact version that is not compatible with rear LED's or a faulty unit.

Sorry I coulnt be of more help.
Jump to top chainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-17-2008, 09:24:07 PM   #3
TenelevenL1011
Banned

Reputation: 0 TenelevenL1011 is an unknown quantity at this point

United States

Well at least you had the dealer do a attempt on yours. I called 4 dealers and 3 of them acted like I was on drugs and the 4th one said they wont touch it. So basically I am screweed
Jump to top TenelevenL1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-17-2008, 09:53:55 PM   #4
ZeroG

United States

Hopefully this will be of some help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LEDLightsDIY.pdf (327.0 KB, 133 views)

BMW Special Tools: RTAB, FCAB, Shim Kit & Tool, Cam Holder, and Flywheel Lock
Jump to top ZeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-17-2008, 11:13:19 PM   #5
tom @ eas
M3Forum Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob View Post
so i took my car to the dealer for the 3rd time to get this done. this time with a 'euro' lcm and my old lcm. dealer said they wanted to re-attempt to reflash the old lcm again just to see if there was something they were doing wrong since they have recently changed their software etc.

i also had in hand the 'euro' lcm that i bought from a user on here:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=211412

this is is exactly what the service invoice stated:

Cust requests attempt to flash light control module for the led lights.

their response:

Attempted retrofit of led lighting via progman v 31.xx and cd55.xx via retrofit of led and facelift lighting and no change. Attempted same retrofitting with customer supplied ece lamp module and no change. loaded cd43.xx software in gt1 and attempted same retrofitting options with both suppled lamp control modules and no change. Contacted bmw technical support and determined retrofitting is not possible as vehicle was equipped with led lighting originally. no further action possible at this time.

WTF... i belive the statment regarding the vehicle had led lighting originally was a typo and it should read did not have it. i am going to confirm this today..

so again WTF.. it sounds like they tried really hard with different systems. why is this not working??

i know there are some bmw techs or other people that have flashed these lights tom @ eas, someone, anybody??
Do you know if the LCM was used?

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Jump to top tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-18-2008, 12:42:17 AM   #6
bmwJohhnyD

United Nations

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainy View Post
The euro spec lcm is the correct one if it is actually the part number you specify. (B61.31.9.133.021) I had the earlier lcm that shows up as a bmw compact item on Realoem.com on my late 2002 model when I bought it. I purchased the newer B61.31.9.133.021 lcm and LED retrofit kit and had it flashed and all has been well since.

IMO you either have the compact version that is not compatible with rear LED's or a faulty unit.

Sorry I coulnt be of more help.
that is a ton of help.. especially if you had a successful flash with the same thing i have... makes me think dealer is missing it somehow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenelevenL1011 View Post
Well at least you had the dealer do a attempt on yours. I called 4 dealers and 3 of them acted like I was on drugs and the 4th one said they wont touch it. So basically I am screweed
do you live near ky? if so that doesnt surprise me.. we are backwards here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroG View Post
Hopefully this will be of some help.
i gave them that before.. and if you read the exact thing the SA wrote it says they used two different systems... so i would hope it was covered...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
i waited for a long time for the lead vendor of the forum to solve this problem and i get a follow up question... lolz...

maybe i wasnt clear. they used BOTH lcm's the original one in my car and the new one that i bought from the link from zerog. according to the service advisor they attemtped to flash the original one in my car, with no success AND attempted to both flash the euro lcm to my car and then flash it to acknowledge the led lights. this according to the sa was also unsuccessful.
Old Sat, Oct-18-2008, 12:47:49 AM   #7
bmwJohhnyD

United Nations

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
i love the forum. i am purposely requoting this because i just now realized that your meaning was different than i read. i thought you meant was it used DURING the retroflash....

i was like WTF...

now i just realized you were asking me if the lcm was used as in used (flashed) prior to me purchasing it. according to the user zerog that i bought it from it was unused, not flashed, virginal, cherry, BNIB, unviolated, unmolested, innocent if you will.

lolz.. sorry for the miscommunication and i appreciate your help.

Last edited by bmwJohhnyD; Sat, Oct-18-2008 at 02:26:07 AM.
Old Sat, Oct-18-2008, 01:32:11 AM   #8
tom @ eas
M3Forum Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob View Post
i love the forum. i am purposely requoting this because i just now realized that your meaning was different than i read. i thought you meant was it use DURING the retroflash....

i was like WTF...

now i just realized you were asking me if the lcm was used as in used (flashed) prior to me purchasing it. according to the user zerog that i bought it from it was unused, not flashed, virginal, cherry, BNIB, unviolated, unmolested, innocent if you will.

lolz.. sorry for the miscommunication and i appreciate your help.
PM me the last 7 of your VIN and I'll see what I can find.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Jump to top tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-18-2008, 01:32:12 AM   #9
TenelevenL1011
Banned

Reputation: 0 TenelevenL1011 is an unknown quantity at this point

United States

No I live in California near San Fernando Valley. Actually Ventura County. Called Rusnak, Called Bob Smith, Called Center BMW, Called Pacific BMW, the guy at Rusnak treated me like I was on drugs, He told me that all M3's came with LED's, that I didnt know what I was talking about...
Jump to top TenelevenL1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-18-2008, 02:28:31 AM   #10
bmwJohhnyD

United Nations

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenelevenL1011 View Post

No I live in California near San Fernando Valley. Actually Ventura County. Called Rusnak, Called Bob Smith, Called Center BMW, Called Pacific BMW, the guy at Rusnak treated me like I was on drugs, He told me that all M3's came with LED's, that I didnt know what I was talking about...
wow.. i would think that in california they see that alot and would be very familiar with the process..