BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Wed, Nov-21-2012, 12:31:19 PM   #21
Richardsperry
95 SC M3

United States

Default Re: Teaching my teenage daughter to drive

The stereo parts seems a bit extream. I'd be more worried about having friends in the car...All the stats show teenagers are about 10 times more likely to have a serious accident if they have other teens in the car... Especially at night.
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Nov-21-2012, 01:23:59 PM   #22
greyflyer

In the garage:

United States

True, and fortunately that's a law here in GA. Must have her permit for a full year before she can get her license, and the first six months after that means no friends in the car and no driving at night. Of course I'm a little stricter than that. And on the stereo thing, haven't you seen teenagers dancing and rockin away while behind the wheel? I mean full on slam dancing with the seat, windows, wheel, etc. Dodging them is something of a sport around here, most random drivers I've ever seen. A car is a weapon, not a place to rock out, and she's going to learn that.

'98 M3 Convertible daily driver - 60k and climbing
Jump to top greyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-21-2012, 03:52:49 PM   #23
drummer boy04

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitchesbass View Post
That said, given I trust the teen - I would let them behind the wheel of an E36 M3 on some country type roads. But I wouldn't spring them loose in and around my immediate area in Northern VA - too many jerk and idiotic drivers - would probably make them nervous at lights / hills / etc.
^this. I literally thought this one guy was going to get out of his car and savagely beat me because I stalled on a hill when I first got my ltw flywheel and new clutch.
Jump to top drummer boy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-22-2012, 11:30:48 PM   #24
morerevsm3

Australia

the first time my then 15 yo son drove a car on bitumen was in my euro M3...on a racetrack, and got well over 100mph on the 2nd lap
it was a driver training day, and I am an instructor with local BMW club, and he had plenty of experience in a paddock in his E21 manual prior

I learnt to drive when I was 5, in a 1926 Buick we had while my father was restoring a 1927 Buick (which I still have)

1/4 mile-12.92@108.64mph-NA 3.0L daily driver
Jump to top morerevsm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Nov-23-2012, 02:04:23 AM   #25
97_4dr_5spd_m3
Old College Kid

In the garage:

United States

I let my wife give it a few goes on my clutch. She did okay and now drives the V8 standard S4 as her DD.
Old Fri, Nov-23-2012, 02:08:47 AM   #26
bimmaboy88

In the garage:

Armenia

my first car i drove stick was a 2002 M5...and i only had my license for less then a month.

H&R Sway Bars
Rear Adjustable Control Arms

AFE Stage 2
Sugar, Spice, and Everything Nice
Jump to top bimmaboy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Nov-25-2012, 01:39:00 PM   #27
greyflyer

In the garage:

United States

Yesterday was fun. We went back to the big church lot and practiced stop/start and parking. She still doesn't quite have the hang of parking...good thing the lot is empty. After a few practice sessions she got a little cocky with the clutch and started letting it out way too fast...stall stall stall stall... LOL. I finally got her to slow down and yes, slip the clutch a bit more. Also worked on hill starts and she finally got a good smooth one after a bunch of stalls - I told her that's the toughest one to learn and she cheered when she finally got a good start.

Only hiccup was a combination start/turn (simulating an intersection). She had a little trouble getting rolling and forgot to turn...managed to stop with the front spoiler about 6" from the curb. But I loved the fact her instinct was to slam the brakes and not freeze, great job. Otherwise a good hour of practice, we'll go back out today. She says she loves learning a skill while her friends are learning to cruise. I'm really proud of her. And if the clutch gets burnt or the spoiler gets munched, so what. Just means I get to buy new stuff.

I told her once she really gets the hang of stop/start/turn in the parking lot, we'll tackle the neighborhood. Maybe in a week or two.

'98 M3 Convertible daily driver - 60k and climbing
Jump to top greyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Nov-25-2012, 10:49:49 PM   #28
Em&M
So OEM It Hurts

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyflyer View Post
Yesterday was fun. We went back to the big church lot and practiced stop/start and parking. She still doesn't quite have the hang of parking...good thing the lot is empty. After a few practice sessions she got a little cocky with the clutch and started letting it out way too fast...stall stall stall stall... LOL. I finally got her to slow down and yes, slip the clutch a bit more. Also worked on hill starts and she finally got a good smooth one after a bunch of stalls - I told her that's the toughest one to learn and she cheered when she finally got a good start.

Only hiccup was a combination start/turn (simulating an intersection). She had a little trouble getting rolling and forgot to turn...managed to stop with the front spoiler about 6" from the curb. But I loved the fact her instinct was to slam the brakes and not freeze, great job. Otherwise a good hour of practice, we'll go back out today. She says she loves learning a skill while her friends are learning to cruise. I'm really proud of her. And if the clutch gets burnt or the spoiler gets munched, so what. Just means I get to buy new stuff.

I told her once she really gets the hang of stop/start/turn in the parking lot, we'll tackle the neighborhood. Maybe in a week or two.
this is awesome :] congrats to your daughter! I hope and pray I can keep my m3 around long enough for my kids to enjoy it :]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mon, Nov-26-2012, 12:57:49 AM   #29
TomS2
BS Buster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyflyer View Post
+44

You must not have kids. Nope, she's learning a manual and if/when she gets a car it will be a manual too. Non-negotiable. She can master a manual transmission with all the skill and distractions it requires and maybe she'll get to drive Mom's auto down the road.

Manual = busy hands and feet = lots harder to do stupid things like text, dance, party, whatever. Driving means paying attention to driving. BTW that also means NO STEREO in her car, and if I ever catch her with her iPod rockin' out, she loses the privilege.

But if she does well, she will be able to drive an M3 or a 308...sometimes. I think that's a decent tradeoff.
I am with you on that. I drove 2 seaters from the getgo for a reason (besides having a small one to compensate for), i didnt want distractions in the car with me.

My little princess already told me the M-ster is hers when she gets a permit in 5 years. I wont have too much of a problem with her in such a small car with a stick, making it tougher to do all the things you mention, and nearly impossible to haul a few drunk freinds around.

She will be like the "uptown girl" in vacation, only instead of your 308 she will be in the m-ster. I am scared!

Autox, and DE are on her calendar whether she likes it or not.
I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty.
Jump to top TomS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Nov-26-2012, 03:39:58 AM   #30
OahuMPower
:FACEPALM:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by morerevsm3 View Post
.... a 1927 Buick (which I still have)
pics... meow

thanks