BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Wed, Jun-19-2019, 06:34:04 PM   #31
ExclusiveAuto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 317
Reputation: 0 ExclusiveAuto is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: What is the m3forum-preferred e46 m3 RSM setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonOne View Post
What noise are you referring to when you say it's coming from the RSMs?
my car is an 05 comp pkg. Went with the P6 Bilsteins (Which are a 10mm BTW for anyone that needs to know). Bought a set of the Lemforder mounts to be cheap (I get them for under $10 a piece), but reconsidered that since I am a dealer for AKG and their part is superior to the lemforder stock replacements. I decided to go with their Poly RSMs. As far as the reinforcements, I have a set of akg here, but bought a set of the ecs just to see if there is any difference in thickness/quality. AKG plate is raw, ECS is coated. Figured I would decide which one seems better and throw it on my car. Thank you very much for the help!!
Jump to top ExclusiveAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Jun-19-2019, 06:38:13 PM   #32
TboneM3
YNWA
 
TboneM3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,482
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 TboneM3 is on a distinguished road
Location: Socal

United States




Default Re: What is the m3forum-preferred e46 m3 RSM setup?

AKG poly bushings are not superior to OE BMW bushings Poly is inferior to rubber when it comes to the function of a bushing, but it's cheap, easily made into whatever shape you want, and holds it's form for a long period, though if it does fail, it's in a much more spectacular fashion than rubber.
__________________
/// 2004 SilberGrau M3 Coupe 6MT slicktop zero options ~3200lbs JOURNAL
_


Evolve-R Alpha N Evolve CSL CF Airbox Eventuri Scoop Supersprint V1 stepped 2.5" SS V1 S pipes 2.5" + 200 cell HFC OE sect 2 SCZA 2.5" sect 3 Besian RE pullies fan/SAP/washer delete CSL battery

Bilstein HD B6 + GroundControl/Eibach 325/550lb + GC "tall" RSMs Hotchkis front sway (med) rear strut bar TMS camber & subframe plates Eibach alu rear camber arms RE trans mounts AKG poly subf/diff 95a SDW RTAB OE weighted ///M knob + ZHP alcantara boot + UUC DSSR + delrin bushing

OE CSL trunk Cobra Nogaros + BK + manual OE bases TMS black pedals Sportline 8S 18"x 8.5/9.5" MPSS 245/275 APEX 75mm Studs Brembo 996 4 pot 36/40 345mm CSL & 28/30 328mm CSL ZHP "712" rack Pioneer/CDT/Eclipse/Kicker
Jump to top TboneM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-19-2019, 07:24:43 PM   #33
ExclusiveAuto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 317
Reputation: 0 ExclusiveAuto is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: What is the m3forum-preferred e46 m3 RSM setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneM3 View Post
AKG poly bushings are not superior to OE BMW bushings Poly is inferior to rubber when it comes to the function of a bushing, but it's cheap, easily made into whatever shape you want, and holds it's form for a long period, though if it does fail, it's in a much more spectacular fashion than rubber.
I dont really know what to say if you think that the thin, pressed/stamped metal oem replacement mount is a superior piece to the akg mount, other than I respect your opinion. Again, thank you very much for your help!
Jump to top ExclusiveAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-19-2019, 07:33:37 PM   #34
TboneM3
YNWA
 
TboneM3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,482
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 TboneM3 is on a distinguished road
Location: Socal

United States




Default Re: What is the m3forum-preferred e46 m3 RSM setup?

Talking about bushings. Any reinforcement plate would suffice, no need for anything fancy. You don't even *need* them, just some cheap insurance. Z3 plates are oe and more than adequate.
__________________
/// 2004 SilberGrau M3 Coupe 6MT slicktop zero options ~3200lbs JOURNAL
_


Evolve-R Alpha N Evolve CSL CF Airbox Eventuri Scoop Supersprint V1 stepped 2.5" SS V1 S pipes 2.5" + 200 cell HFC OE sect 2 SCZA 2.5" sect 3 Besian RE pullies fan/SAP/washer delete CSL battery

Bilstein HD B6 + GroundControl/Eibach 325/550lb + GC "tall" RSMs Hotchkis front sway (med) rear strut bar TMS camber & subframe plates Eibach alu rear camber arms RE trans mounts AKG poly subf/diff 95a SDW RTAB OE weighted ///M knob + ZHP alcantara boot + UUC DSSR + delrin bushing

OE CSL trunk Cobra Nogaros + BK + manual OE bases TMS black pedals Sportline 8S 18"x 8.5/9.5" MPSS 245/275 APEX 75mm Studs Brembo 996 4 pot 36/40 345mm CSL & 28/30 328mm CSL ZHP "712" rack Pioneer/CDT/Eclipse/Kicker
Jump to top TboneM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-19-2019, 07:58:51 PM   #35
ExclusiveAuto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 317
Reputation: 0 ExclusiveAuto is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: What is the m3forum-preferred e46 m3 RSM setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneM3 View Post
Talking about bushings. Any reinforcement plate would suffice, no need for anything fancy. You don't even *need* them, just some cheap insurance. Z3 plates are oe and more than adequate.
gotcha. Thanks. But doesnt the actual bushing in the mount provide lateral deflection of the shaft of the shock? Im not sure why you think a stiffer bushing wouldnt be superior in that instance, but im not a suspension engineer either, so you might be 100% right.
Jump to top ExclusiveAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-20-2019, 02:22:14 AM   #36
STAATS
Registered User
 
STAATS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 663
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 STAATS is on a distinguished road

Australia




Default Re: What is the m3forum-preferred e46 m3 RSM setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11b4 View Post
I have the ecs monoball rsms, along with the reinforcement plates. I have KW v2 coils. Rear is kinda clunky loud over bumps. Not sure if it's because of the rsms or what
When I first got my ECS Monoballs there was a clunk from my rear right... I eventually narrowed it down to the monoball... took it off and it made a small clicking noise... which then when on the drum skin of a shock tower made a clunk when driving... I returned it and got a replacement from ECS... no issues since... quiet as a mouse back there... except for a diff / M-clunk I am now looking for which is unrelated to the suspension...
__________________
STAATS

BMW E46 M3 Vehicle Log Book & Service Tracker Tool: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=564731

BMW E46 M3 Vehicle Data Record & Modification Journal Template: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=566440

2003 BMW E46 M3 Street / Road Rally Build: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=566468
Jump to top STAATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-20-2019, 03:07:04 AM   #37
TboneM3
YNWA
 
TboneM3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,482
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 TboneM3 is on a distinguished road
Location: Socal

United States




Default Re: What is the m3forum-preferred e46 m3 RSM setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExclusiveAuto View Post
gotcha. Thanks. But doesnt the actual bushing in the mount provide lateral deflection of the shaft of the shock? Im not sure why you think a stiffer bushing wouldnt be superior in that instance, but im not a suspension engineer either, so you might be 100% right.
First of all the rubber is quite stiff (with a metal collar I believe), but furthermore, you want to allow some deflection. It's not a race car, it's a high performance street car. Put solid aluminum or delrin all over the car and tell me how it feels.

The tiny bit of isolation those monoball mounts have would be delrin or poly, so they're effectively solid. No way there's no NVH. Every part of the car suffers when you ditch the stock rubber, some more than others. Motor and tranny are the worst, subframe probably the best place to go solid. But the monoballs will offer precision and will allow full articulation, both moreso than rubber, so a good race car part.

I just laugh when someone asks a question (in the general section, not track section) and people respond with hardcore parts, that cost as much as their entire suspension sometimes!

I'm as guilty as anyone in buying into hype or thinking I need to mod; there's room for improvement. It's taken me years of modding to learn to stop and really think, "what does better actially mean?" I learned long ago not to read the vendor's advertising, but it was still easy to convince myself that every mod is good (and fun!).

I wish more people would buy a 100k m3 and put all new rubber everywhere, get a good alignment and report back. Instead, we get people validating their chinese coilovers or race car parts for a street car that, maybe, maybe, sees a track once or twice a year if at all. "Not much more nvh" mmm hmmm.

You seldom ever get something for nothing. Everything is a compromise/trade.
__________________
/// 2004 SilberGrau M3 Coupe 6MT slicktop zero options ~3200lbs JOURNAL
_


Evolve-R Alpha N Evolve CSL CF Airbox Eventuri Scoop Supersprint V1 stepped 2.5" SS V1 S pipes 2.5" + 200 cell HFC OE sect 2 SCZA 2.5" sect 3 Besian RE pullies fan/SAP/washer delete CSL battery

Bilstein HD B6 + GroundControl/Eibach 325/550lb + GC "tall" RSMs Hotchkis front sway (med) rear strut bar TMS camber & subframe plates Eibach alu rear camber arms RE trans mounts AKG poly subf/diff 95a SDW RTAB OE weighted ///M knob + ZHP alcantara boot + UUC DSSR + delrin bushing

OE CSL trunk Cobra Nogaros + BK + manual OE bases TMS black pedals Sportline 8S 18"x 8.5/9.5" MPSS 245/275 APEX 75mm Studs Brembo 996 4 pot 36/40 345mm CSL & 28/30 328mm CSL ZHP "712" rack Pioneer/CDT/Eclipse/Kicker
Jump to top TboneM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-20-2019, 07:16:27 PM   #38
ExclusiveAuto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 317
Reputation: 0 ExclusiveAuto is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: What is the m3forum-preferred e46 m3 RSM setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneM3 View Post
First of all the rubber is quite stiff (with a metal collar I believe), but furthermore, you want to allow some deflection. It's not a race car, it's a high performance street car. Put solid aluminum or delrin all over the car and tell me how it feels.

The tiny bit of isolation those monoball mounts have would be delrin or poly, so they're effectively solid. No way there's no NVH. Every part of the car suffers when you ditch the stock rubber, some more than others. Motor and tranny are the worst, subframe probably the best place to go solid. But the monoballs will offer precision and will allow full articulation, both moreso than rubber, so a good race car part.

I just laugh when someone asks a question (in the general section, not track section) and people respond with hardcore parts, that cost as much as their entire suspension sometimes!

I'm as guilty as anyone in buying into hype or thinking I need to mod; there's room for improvement. It's taken me years of modding to learn to stop and really think, "what does better actially mean?" I learned long ago not to read the vendor's advertising, but it was still easy to convince myself that every mod is good (and fun!).

I wish more people would buy a 100k m3 and put all new rubber everywhere, get a good alignment and report back. Instead, we get people validating their chinese coilovers or race car parts for a street car that, maybe, maybe, sees a track once or twice a year if at all. "Not much more nvh" mmm hmmm.

You seldom ever get something for nothing. Everything is a compromise/trade.

well, pretty much all of my current m3s are solid/poly mounts on everything and i have no complaints with NVH, but I definitely understand where youre coming from. Only "upgrading" the parts on my car because the rear shocks are original and the stock passenger side RSM has failed. Again, thanks for the knowledge!
Jump to top ExclusiveAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-20-2019, 09:57:24 PM   #39
M3 dude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 479
Reputation: 0 M3 dude is on a distinguished road

Australia




Default Re: What is the m3forum-preferred e46 m3 RSM setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneM3 View Post
I'm as guilty as anyone in buying into hype or thinking I need to mod; there's room for improvement. It's taken me years of modding to learn to stop and really think, "what does better actially mean?" I learned long ago not to read the vendor's advertising, but it was still easy to convince myself that every mod is good (and fun!).

I wish more people would buy a 100k m3 and put all new rubber everywhere, get a good alignment and report back. Instead, we get people validating their chinese coilovers or race car parts for a street car that, maybe, maybe, sees a track once or twice a year if at all. "Not much more nvh" mmm hmmm.

You seldom ever get something for nothing. Everything is a compromise/trade.
probably the most sense contained in a post for a long time.
Jump to top M3 dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 01:48:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright 1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing What is the m3forum-preferred e46 m3 RSM setup? in the E46 M3 (2001-2006) Forum - Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006. at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)