BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Faults, Fixes and DIY
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Faults, Fixes and DIY Please share your experience and knowledge with other members by contributing your own DIY, or by helping another member find the elusive fix!

Old Sun, Apr-21-2019, 06:54:59 PM   #131
m3az05

United States

Default Re: S54 Vanos Info Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgill View Post
Agree with ThunderMoose. It looks like you have rotated the crank while not rotating the cam (not enough tension on hub bolts). So your cam is way out of time with your crank and you are hitting a valve. To get back to the correct positions I would try the following:
  1. I would remove the VANOS. You don't have to but you might as well get it out of the way and focus on getting cams/crank back into correct position.
  2. Confirm piston 1 is at TDC (or close)
  3. Don't force anything, if can't rotate crank, a valve is probably hitting a piston.
  4. Rotate crank from TDC counter clockwise ~30į-40į. This position is pistons clear, you can freely rotate cams without valves hitting pistons. See pic below, I have this position marked in silver on my harmonic balancer.
  5. If you can't reach this position because a valve is hitting you need to rotate the cam to get the valve closed. Loosen all hub bolts so you can rotate cams independent of crank (leap of faith here...)
  6. You can look at the cam lobes to figure out which valves are open. You can also drop a long screwdriver down the spark plug hole to figure out piston location (at TDC pistons 1 and 6 are up).
  7. Once you reach pistons clear position you can rotate cams with a wrench back to the correct positions, with timing holes up and cylinder 1 lobes pointed at each
  8. Once cams are in correct position, rotate crank clockwise back to TDC. No valves should hit.
  9. Follow beisan instructions to re-install VANOS and time engine.

Did this, now VANOS wonít go back on. It get to this point but the spline shafts wonít press into the hubs. They went in fine when I rechecked my sweet spots but now they wonít go in when the splines are pressed all the way into the VANOS. If I extend the pistons enough it will go in, but they need to be pressed all the way in according to the instructions. Iíve tried moving the cams and reinstalling, but no go. Iím not sure whatís changed since the last time, all timing is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top m3az05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Apr-21-2019, 08:33:32 PM   #132
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3az05 View Post
Did this, now VANOS wonít go back on. It get to this point but the spline shafts wonít press into the hubs. They went in fine when I rechecked my sweet spots but now they wonít go in when the splines are pressed all the way into the VANOS. If I extend the pistons enough it will go in, but they need to be pressed all the way in according to the instructions. Iíve tried moving the cams and reinstalling, but no go. Iím not sure whatís changed since the last time, all timing is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have to finesse the oil pump disc and tabs into the holes, the splines and the hubs turning a bit at the beginning if it wont go in from the position you have in your picture, (from full cw of the hubs, you have to turn them slightly by hand ccw once the splines start mating).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

All DIY: VANOS, WPC rod bearings, full SS (SS stepped V1 headers, catted S1, stock S2, SS sport), AFD E85 Proflex kit, Ohlins R&T/Hyperco 375f Swift 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, ST40 355 pfc08, 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, Beyer driveshaft, valve adjustment, cooling refresh.

Happy to help with VANOS or any other DIY job around NorCal. Have various specialty tools (VANOS, RTAB, engine bar, valve adjustment, tranny jack, ball joint separator, pilot bearing puller, tap&die kit, etc).
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-22-2019, 12:31:47 AM   #133
couchflyer

In the garage:

United States

I have a 06 Z4 M with 45,500 miles. I have no VANOS issues, however I am changing the VANOS sealing plate O-rings, Teflon seals, cam sprocket bolts as well as the oil pump disc. I have the crank at TDC and it looks like my exhaust cam is off by one tooth. The car drives fine. Has anyone seen this before?

To correct the cam, I imagine I can move the cam when I change the cam sprocket bolts, as the sprocket can be removed from the cam. I am wondering if, as long as I donít change the position of the spline shafts relative to the cam, I should be okay, right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190421_a.jpg (422.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20190421_b.jpg (390.2 KB, 9 views)
Jump to top couchflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-22-2019, 12:59:15 AM   #134
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by couchflyer View Post
I have a 06 Z4 M with 45,500 miles. I have no VANOS issues, however I am changing the VANOS sealing plate O-rings, Teflon seals, cam sprocket bolts as well as the oil pump disc. I have the crank at TDC and it looks like my exhaust cam is off by one tooth. The car drives fine. Has anyone seen this before?

To correct the cam, I imagine I can move the cam when I change the cam sprocket bolts, as the sprocket can be removed from the cam. I am wondering if, as long as I donít change the position of the spline shafts relative to the cam, I should be okay, right?
To really know if the exhaust cam is off, you have to make sure that it is indeed fully retarded. They are often very hard to move. If you can remove the end cap off the vanos, you can see the position of the piston. If it is fully retarded, then it will be flush. If not, keep trying to retard it with the 24 mm wrench.

When removing the vanos, you really don't care where timing is, you just need the cams as retarded as possible to be able to remove disconnect the splined shafts from the pistons.

#67 2017 NASA TX TT3 Champion

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS Suspension, Hyperco 800F 900R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

My track journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=509148
Jump to top ThunderMoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-22-2019, 02:41:47 AM   #135
couchflyer

In the garage:

United States

Okay, I removed the VANOS and grabbed the 24mm wrench and the cam moved now they are both lined up. I needed to remove the VANOS to get the cams to move individually, thanks ThunderMouse.
Jump to top couchflyer is offline   Reply With Quote