BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Aug-16-2019, 05:51:09 AM   #1
Crash_Nemesis
Why don't you just Supercharge it.

In the garage:

South Africa

Default S54 Motor rebuild -- Vac Motorsports VIDEO

Hi guys, some of you may have already seen this video series, but for those who have not, feel free to enjoy this 4 part series of the rebuild of my S54 motor for my M3.

Parts used in the build are as follows.

Carillo CP pistons. 87.5mm (0.5mm overbore) with 11.5:1 compression.
Crower HPF rods (Horsepower Freaks) H-Beam forged rods.
Carillo heavy duty wrist pins and piston ring set.
Cometic MLS (multi steel layer) head gasket
ARP L19 Head and main Rod bolts.
Vac Motorsports Coated Rod Bearings.
ACL race main bearings.
Vac Motorsports uprated oil pump internals (gears).
Vac Motorsports Inconel valves with single groove cotters and 3 angle valve cut.
All new BMW OEM bolts & gaskets where needed to replace the toyota bolts that were installed in the engine from the previous shop.

The block was machined at an engineering shop and a Vac Motorsports Torque Plate was used to ensure the bores are equal and stay within tolerance, better than BMW standards.
The rotating assembly was also weighted and balanced. She's a fully blue printed engine.

I am going to be doing a series of videos on the car itself with all the modifications I have done to it as well as track prep and track day / time attack vlogs. Hope you guys enjoy the videos.

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

VF engineering Supercharged / Fully blue printed motor/ CP pistons - HPF rods - ARP studs / Stoptech ST 40 Big Brake kit - Bilstein PSS 10 - UUC Swaybarbarians - Vorsteiner 19" Custom rims - 3:91 diff / GTR Hood / Umnitza Predator Orion Angel eyes / CSL Bumper / Turner Motorsports Camber Plates / UUC rear camber bars / Tial Q 50mm BOV /

Last edited by Crash_Nemesis; Fri, Aug-16-2019 at 02:19:37 PM.
Jump to top Crash_Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Aug-16-2019, 02:42:22 PM   #2
stash1

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: S54 Motor rebuild -- Vac Motorsports VIDEO

Thanx for posting, enjoyed watching the vids. That teardown was painful to watch though-lol. How's it running now? Any dyno's?
Old Fri, Aug-16-2019, 04:50:27 PM   #3
TosM3

United States

thanks for sharing
Jump to top TosM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Aug-16-2019, 08:15:57 PM   #4
adamstuchlik

In the garage:

United States

I loved this so much! Thanks for sharing
Jump to top adamstuchlik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Aug-17-2019, 02:12:53 AM   #5
GrendelsbaneM3

United States

Great video!
2004 Silver M3 / SMG / TC Kline DA Coilovers / Eibach front and rear sway bars / Proflex bushings / Predator Orion V2 Multi-Color LED Angel Eyes / ALPS Jammers / Clear Bumper Reflectors / Zionsville Competition Cooling Kit with Offset Fan / AKG Motor mounts / Rogue Engineering Transmission Mount / AKG differential bushings / Euro mirrors / B&B Exhaust / CSL SMG tune /DME CSL tune / ESS 575 Supercharger / Stillen AP Racing BBK / J-Fiber Carbon Fiber Driveshaft

Jump to top GrendelsbaneM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Aug-17-2019, 11:51:13 AM   #6
Crash_Nemesis
Why don't you just Supercharge it.

In the garage:

South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash1 View Post
Thanx for posting, enjoyed watching the vids. That teardown was painful to watch though-lol. How's it running now? Any dyno's?
Cheers guys. Thanks for the support.

The teardown was indeed painful to witness. Surprising too, as the previous shop had somehow lost the original bolts and thought it was okay to replace them with random toyota bolts. The car would leak oil from almost every bolt position.

The car is running great. Just recently tracked her and did a personal best time. It's been almost 5 years since the rebuild. I will try find my old dyno sheets, but the car made stock power figures with a smidgen more torque at lower RPM. We think that is due to the overbore, but not sure. Apparently Vac recommend going 0.5 bigger and using the Torque plate to ensure perfectly round cylinders and a tight fight for good compression.

Back to the figures. She made 220wkw (300 wheel horsepower) in Cape Town at sea level. That is with stock BMW tune. When we supercharged her that figure rose to 370wkw (497 wheel horsepower).

But one thing I did notice was that the engine revved up incredibly smoothly and freely. We think this is due to the pistons and rotating assembly being perfectly balanced and lightweight. It may be a bit of an exaggeration to compare the engine to revving up like a superbike, but it does rev up incredibly fast. Again, I will try find the dyno graphs I have. When comparing the new engine build graph with a previous dyno run from before the build, it is evident, even though the peak numbers were the same, that the power came on quicker in the rev range with the new build.

Some photos of the pistons and spec sheet.

VF engineering Supercharged / Fully blue printed motor/ CP pistons - HPF rods - ARP studs / Stoptech ST 40 Big Brake kit - Bilstein PSS 10 - UUC Swaybarbarians - Vorsteiner 19" Custom rims - 3:91 diff / GTR Hood / Umnitza Predator Orion Angel eyes / CSL Bumper / Turner Motorsports Camber Plates / UUC rear camber bars / Tial Q 50mm BOV /

Last edited by Crash_Nemesis; Sat, Aug-17-2019 at 12:06:13 PM.
Jump to top Crash_Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Aug-17-2019, 12:55:17 PM   #7
Mr.wReckless

Norway

Funny this thread appeared, I litteraly just binge watched all 4 parts the night before you posted the thread! Nice build, the previous shop really butchered that engine :/

How do you like the VAC oil pump? I'm soon doing the rod bearings and was seriously considering their pump as an upgrade once I'm in there.

Regards
H&R lowering springs
Seibon carbon hood, carbon fenders & carbon front bumper
Jump to top Mr.wReckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Aug-17-2019, 01:39:49 PM   #8
Malloy

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.wReckless View Post
Funny this thread appeared, I litteraly just binge watched all 4 parts the night before you posted the thread! Nice build, the previous shop really butchered that engine :/

How do you like the VAC oil pump? I'm soon doing the rod bearings and was seriously considering their pump as an upgrade once I'm in there.

Regards
At 55k miles during an Inspection II my tech realized my car was missing a vanos tab. Couldnít find it so the pan had to be dropped. Since he was in there I had coated OE bearings, arp bolts and a VAC high volume pump installed. 30k miles later with no issue. VAC has sold a ton of these pumps and Iíve never heard of a failure.
Jump to top Malloy is offline   Reply With Quote