BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Jan-11-2010, 06:20:19 PM   #21
strike_noir

In the garage:

Belgium

bit off topic, but a funny thing happened today when i was at the dealer for an oil change.
The mechanic started filling the fresh oil with me standing next to him. I'm pretty obsessive about my car, so to be sure i asked him "that's racing oil right?"
His response: "oh ****! yeah i put in regular oil out of habit"
so he had to get it up and change it again.
unbelievable, imagine if i hadn't been there, i never would have known.. i'm never letting anyone work on my car without me watching :|
Jump to top strike_noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jan-12-2010, 12:33:54 AM   #22
Burrito

San Marino

pics of the lobes?
Old Tue, Jan-12-2010, 12:52:06 AM   #23
trange1

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrito View Post
pics of the lobes?
It will be two weeks, I travel for a living. The pictures are on my laptop at home, but I will definitly post them asap.
Jump to top trange1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-12-2010, 01:04:34 AM   #24
NVS PWR
Final Touch Motorsports

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
Sounds great. Even better than 3,000 mile changes would be 1,000 mile changes, or even 500 mile changes.. or how about you never start the engine and just keep pouring oil through it. That's where you're headed with your theory.Actually - not. There has been very little evidence of the "screens" getting clogged (there is one cone shaped filter - which was an idea of the moment here - pull it out and clean it.) The vast majority of people found it didn't need cleaning. Go figure.. The REAL Vanos problems are on late model cars where the cam-mating gear snaps off the two drive nubs, which then get caught under the chain, taking them up and over the two sprockets and grenading the valve cover. That is the VANOS problem (and I've seen no correlation to oil change frequency with it - it appears to be a materials failure by BMW - the finely engineered/constructed engine.) The other Vanos problems are due to either a bad solenoid or seals going bad.Well, good for you. The oil companies must love'ya.

Without oil tests it's ALL just opinion. Do some oil tests with Blackstone, in particular the extended change interval text ($10/extra) and see what they say about your 3,000 mile oil changes. It will cost less than one unneeded change.
I dont mean to single you out and I do not know what you do for a living, but I have been working on cars for 19 years- I have seen and built alot of engines- I do not need to prove anything to you- all I can do is post good advice for others.

BY CHANGING YOUR OIL EARLY YOU ARE NOT HURTING ANYTHING, YOU ARE ONLY PREVENTING FUTURE PROBLEMS. (vanos)

Seals go bad due to wear caused by crappy oil, contamination from oil breakdown and lack of proper lubrication from 15k intervals.

Why do you think the vanos solenoid seals go bad, they go bad because the oil sucks due to the fact it has been in the engine to long.

Here is my car with 86k miles,no LEAKS FAILURES OR VANOS PROBLEMS:

GUESS THE ONLY THING I DID WRONG WAS TAKE CARE OF IT WITH A FEW EXTRA SERVICES. I have done oil tests thats another story and paper does nothing for track time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YylungX9YAs

My advice is if you take care of the car it will take care of you.

UUC,BORLA,ROGUE BLUE RTABS-RSM & OIL HOUSING,H&R,BIMMERWORLD,BOSCH,ECIS,VMR,RPM,
NGK,NX,MSD,DEI,EVOSPORT,SHRICK,SHARK,K&N,
TOPSPEED,STEWARTWARNER,LUBROMOLY,LUCAS,
MAHLE,REDLINE,TOYO T1,MICKEY THOMSON DR'S,PAGIDBLUE, VELOCITY MOTORING,SNOW PERFORMANCE WATER METHANOL INJECTION,S&W,POWDER COAT,CUSTOM NX INSTALL BY FINAL TOUCH MOTORSPORTS,
CUSTOM GUAGE POD BY FINAL TOUCH MOTORSPORTS, CUSTOM ROLLBAR BY FINAL TOUCH MOTORSPORTS
Jump to top NVS PWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-12-2010, 01:11:43 AM   #25
WkboardAtx
"What a long time to be gone, and a short time to be there"

United States

Right around 5000-7500 for me.
6sp, Cold WX Package, Titanium Carbon Fiber Interior Trim,Hidden Valentine one with StealthONE, Dinan exhaust, Dinan Stage 2 Software, Time Attack 19" M6 Wheels, AFE intake, RPI Scoop, CDV Delete, Depo smoked corner lights, Black kidney grills, Black side grills, Smoked reflectors, ZHP knob, EAS aurora 2 angel eyes, more to come...

Jump to top WkboardAtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-12-2010, 04:53:42 AM   #26
deilenberger

Reputation: 578 deilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond repute

United States

How about posting the oil tests? The condition of the oil CAN be measured/tested. Changing oil ever 3,000 miles went out around 1975 - except at quicky-lube places (who have a vested interest in frequent oil changes - and their interest isn't the life of your engine - it's their wallet.)

Show us the data.

BTW - I've been working on all kinds of engines for about 45 years now.. not that it builds any credibility in my mind.
  • 2002 M3C/6 - Imola Red/Black - SOLD
  • 2003 525iT - Green/Tan - SOLD - replaced with Lexus
  • 2006 Cayenne/S - Iceland Silver Metallic/Stone-steel Gray - Truckster. - SOLD
  • 2007 R1200R - Roadster, black mit/white pinstripes - SOLD and not forgotten..
  • 2012 R1200R - Roadster, Ruby Red - the new REAL BMW..
  • 2011 Lexus RX-350. SWMBO's toy.
  • 2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo, white/black. My new toy..
Jump to top deilenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-12-2010, 11:38:45 PM   #27
emax13

United States

As for time, BMW will change your oil under the Mx plan at 12 months if you drive less than 15K. Do a search, its been discussed.

I change mine 5K-7.5K, but would not go longer than 12 months.

'06 CB/IR w/SMG/NAV/HK/Eibach/19" BBS RGR/Hankooks
Jump to top emax13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-13-2010, 12:28:28 AM   #28
Serious
Banned

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVS PWR View Post
Extended life oil changes are not good for any motor especially a high strung one- it is a marketing edge to make maintainance costs look lower all manufactures are doing it- their goal is to have you buy a new car when you finish your last payment and you warranty is up because the forever fluids did not hold up. so its either spend 4k on repairs on 4k on a down payment most people opt for the down payment new ride deaaler wins.

Why skimp on one of the cheapest engine insurance plans a $70 oil and filter change.

I have two E46 M3's that I change the oil every three thousand miles

one car has 86000 and the other one 92000
driven hard every day
NO VANOS FAILURE OR OTHER PROBLEMS

THE LOW MILEAGE CARS with VANOS problems is due to the fact that the wonderful 15k mile CASTROL oil is breaking down and clogging the screens

I USE LIQUI MOLY 10W-60 RACETECH OIL and one quart of SYNTHETIC LUCAS OIL ADDITIVE every three thousand miles

lAST Time the valve covers were off one car needed one valve shim- the time before neither car needed any-(no castrol in these cars)

The point is more oil changes equals less worry.

I change my trans,and diff fluids every 15k, in addition I change my fuel filter every 15k also.( I still get 17-19 mpg local and 25-28 mpg on the highway) with supporting mods

Nothing is made to last forever- and the more you maintain it the longer it will last.

Just my

some will appreciate it and some will have their own opinion.
sorry but all you're doing is pissing money away... the fact that you haven't had vanos failure doesn't mean its due to frequent oil changes in any way.

Oil analysis done by labs such as blackstone have proven time and time again then 7500 changes with TWS is well within the timeframe before the oil starts to break down. Doing changes more often then that is just pissing $$$ away.
Jump to top Serious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-13-2010, 02:32:15 AM   #29
IFX

United States

If someone has had their M for a year, and hasn't put 7500 miles on it, should it still be changed due to AGE?
Jump to top IFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-13-2010, 02:56:39 AM   #30
yaja23
M Addict

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
If someone has had their M for a year, and hasn't put 7500 miles on it, should it still be changed due to AGE?
Yes. Once a year oil changes are recommended.

Orion V2 Angel Eyes, OEM LED TailLights, Valentine1 Hardwired, OEM ZCP Rims, Turner Subframe Reinforcement Kit, Vorsteiner Double Sided CF Bootlid
Jump to top yaja23 is offline   Reply With Quote