BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Tue, Nov-08-2016, 07:39:59 PM   #291
cyberlando
Registered User
 
cyberlando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,605
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 cyberlando is on a distinguished road
Location: colorado springs

United States




Default Re: Failed DIS vanos test, need help translating

So reset my vanos adaptations like I was advised. Drove around for about 30 miles after doing so and these are the new values.......how much would you say I'd have to drive around after a adaptation reset to get everything adapted correctly.





Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
__________________
Engine:
[] Euro Headers [] Euro Cats [] OEM Section 2 AR20[] B&B Exhaust [] AFE Stage 2
Interior:
[] Led Interior [] DICE Module [] Auxilary 3.5 jack [] 4 channel Amp with component speakers.....and more
Suspension/Handling:
[] KW V3 [] Eibach F&R Sways [] Vibratechnics Tranny mount [] UUC RTAB
[] Vibratechnics Motor Mount [] SSBL [] Turner Camber Plates
[] 90A Akg Subframe Bushings [] Akg Differential Bushings [] Subframe Renforcement

Jump to top cyberlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Nov-08-2016, 07:45:56 PM   #292
paulclaude
Registered User
 
paulclaude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 388
Reputation: 0 paulclaude is on a distinguished road

Scotland




Default Re: Failed DIS vanos test, need help translating

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberlando View Post
So reset my vanos adaptations like I was advised. Drove around for about 30 miles after doing so and these are the new values.......how much would you say I'd have to drive around after a adaptation reset to get everything adapted correctly.





Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Kris - these adaptation values are pretty good. You have 2.8deg inlet and 0.7deg exhaust. That means exhaust side is almost spot on, and inlet just 2-3deg away from zero adaptation. Both being retarded slightly via adaptation from a more advanced position. Did you confirm what DME offsets have been specified?

Once the adaptation has set, it shouldn't change if everything has been assembled correctly.
Jump to top paulclaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-08-2016, 08:31:28 PM   #293
cyberlando
Registered User
 
cyberlando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,605
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 cyberlando is on a distinguished road
Location: colorado springs

United States




Default Re: Failed DIS vanos test, need help translating

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulclaude View Post
Kris - these adaptation values are pretty good. You have 2.8deg inlet and 0.7deg exhaust. That means exhaust side is almost spot on, and inlet just 2-3deg away from zero adaptation. Both being retarded slightly via adaptation from a more advanced position. Did you confirm what DME offsets have been specified?

Once the adaptation has set, it shouldn't change if everything has been assembled correctly.
How long does it take for the adaptations to fully set in?

Is it usually pretty quick or like 100 to 200 miles?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
__________________
Engine:
[] Euro Headers [] Euro Cats [] OEM Section 2 AR20[] B&B Exhaust [] AFE Stage 2
Interior:
[] Led Interior [] DICE Module [] Auxilary 3.5 jack [] 4 channel Amp with component speakers.....and more
Suspension/Handling:
[] KW V3 [] Eibach F&R Sways [] Vibratechnics Tranny mount [] UUC RTAB
[] Vibratechnics Motor Mount [] SSBL [] Turner Camber Plates
[] 90A Akg Subframe Bushings [] Akg Differential Bushings [] Subframe Renforcement

Jump to top cyberlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-09-2016, 05:26:53 AM   #294
cyberlando
Registered User
 
cyberlando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,605
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 cyberlando is on a distinguished road
Location: colorado springs

United States




Default Re: Failed DIS vanos test, need help translating

So according to Frankfurt my intake is at 1 offset and my exhaust is set to 0. Since my adaptations shows intake at 2.8 and exhaust at 7.

Would the correct offset for my cams be -2.8 and -7 respectively?


Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
__________________
Engine:
[] Euro Headers [] Euro Cats [] OEM Section 2 AR20[] B&B Exhaust [] AFE Stage 2
Interior:
[] Led Interior [] DICE Module [] Auxilary 3.5 jack [] 4 channel Amp with component speakers.....and more
Suspension/Handling:
[] KW V3 [] Eibach F&R Sways [] Vibratechnics Tranny mount [] UUC RTAB
[] Vibratechnics Motor Mount [] SSBL [] Turner Camber Plates
[] 90A Akg Subframe Bushings [] Akg Differential Bushings [] Subframe Renforcement

Jump to top cyberlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-09-2016, 07:51:38 AM   #295
paulclaude
Registered User
 
paulclaude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 388
Reputation: 0 paulclaude is on a distinguished road

Scotland




Default Re: Failed DIS vanos test, need help translating

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberlando View Post
So according to Frankfurt my intake is at 1 offset and my exhaust is set to 0. Since my adaptations shows intake at 2.8 and exhaust at 7.

Would the correct offset for my cams be -2.8 and -7 respectively?


Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Kris - your adaptations are 2.8deg intake and 0.7 exhaust (not 7). The number in your tool32 shot is to x10-1 (Exp).

Given offsets are at 1 inlet and 0 exhaust, then if you are chasing ~zero adaptation, setting inlet to 4 and either leave exhaust as-is or change to 1 will get you there.

I think you are looking pretty good as-is though. Any difference can essentially be tuned out via Vanos maps.

Last edited by paulclaude; Wed, Nov-09-2016 at 08:14:55 AM.
Jump to top paulclaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-09-2016, 08:04:46 AM   #296
cyberlando
Registered User
 
cyberlando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,605
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 cyberlando is on a distinguished road
Location: colorado springs

United States




Default Re: Failed DIS vanos test, need help translating

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulclaude View Post
Kris - your adaptations are 2.8deg intake and -0.7 exhaust (not 7). The number in your tool32 shot is to x10-1 (Exp).

Given offsets are at 1 inlet and 0 exhaust, then if you are chasing ~zero adaptation, setting inlet to 4 and either leave exhaust as-is or change to 1 will get you there.

I think you are looking pretty good as-is though. Any difference can essentially be tuned out via Vanos maps.
So for confirmation intake at 4 and exhaust at 1

And to would you say I would need to change the vanos maps to get rid of some of this overlap in the current time after making this adjustment?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
__________________
Engine:
[] Euro Headers [] Euro Cats [] OEM Section 2 AR20[] B&B Exhaust [] AFE Stage 2
Interior:
[] Led Interior [] DICE Module [] Auxilary 3.5 jack [] 4 channel Amp with component speakers.....and more
Suspension/Handling:
[] KW V3 [] Eibach F&R Sways [] Vibratechnics Tranny mount [] UUC RTAB
[] Vibratechnics Motor Mount [] SSBL [] Turner Camber Plates
[] 90A Akg Subframe Bushings [] Akg Differential Bushings [] Subframe Renforcement

Jump to top cyberlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-09-2016, 08:26:04 AM   #297
paulclaude
Registered User
 
paulclaude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 388
Reputation: 0 paulclaude is on a distinguished road

Scotland




Default Re: Failed DIS vanos test, need help translating

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberlando View Post
So for confirmation intake at 4 and exhaust at 1

And to would you say I would need to change the vanos maps to get rid of some of this overlap in the current time after making this adjustment?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Yes, 4 intake and 1 exhaust offset should take you to -0.2 intake and -0.3 exhaust adaptation. Those offsets still don't really add up with the Schrick specs or my own/chippers findings though, so it's hard to know where you are at. Given this, I think you'd really have to get it on the Dyno and see how the offsets and vanos maps for best power output.
Jump to top paulclaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Nov-11-2016, 02:05:40 PM   #298
SliM3
Registered User
 
SliM3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,564
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 SliM3 is on a distinguished road
Location: Atlanta

United States




Default Re: Failed DIS vanos test, need help translating

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafoe View Post
For those that may not know, the cam pins dropping in nice and smooth is only half of the timing... equally critical is the position of the spline shafts, and what tooth is engaged in the hubs...
Hey Dave, again, thanks for the real insightful discussion about this. As mentioned in our convo, you really cleared up why this is important.

On that note I did the procedure exactly as we discussed and did notice, after attempting another VANOS test, that my cams over-retarded even more; up to 65. Even though I couldn't complete the test, just that little bit of fine adjustment was worth exactly 2-3 you said you can get by better positioning the spline shafts.

As mentioned, I was unable to complete the VANOS test, and actually got the car out on the road to try and get the adapts to set. Unfortunately I think I triggered some other issues that caused a complete shutdown of the engine and hard fuel cut (possibly DSC issue).

I will say this though, for that little bit of time I was driving the car, Jesus, what a completely different animal!!
Jump to top SliM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Nov-11-2016, 03:01:45 PM   #299
cyberlando
Registered User
 
cyberlando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,605
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 cyberlando is on a distinguished road
Location: colorado springs

United States




Default Re: Failed DIS vanos test, need help translating

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliM3 View Post
Hey Dave, again, thanks for the real insightful discussion about this. As mentioned in our convo, you really cleared up why this is important.

On that note I did the procedure exactly as we discussed and did notice, after attempting another VANOS test, that my cams over-retarded even more; up to 65. Even though I couldn't complete the test, just that little bit of fine adjustment was worth exactly 2-3 you said you can get by better positioning the spline shafts.

As mentioned, I was unable to complete the VANOS test, and actually got the car out on the road to try and get the adapts to set. Unfortunately I think I triggered some other issues that caused a complete shutdown of the engine and hard fuel cut (possibly DSC issue).

I will say this though, for that little bit of time I was driving the car, Jesus, what a completely different animal!!
Usually tho from what I've read....when the vanos has a major malfunction or so it sets the timing to a known set safe value according to Raj at besian. So usually it's either You'd have great low or great high end.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
__________________
Engine:
[] Euro Headers [] Euro Cats [] OEM Section 2 AR20[] B&B Exhaust [] AFE Stage 2
Interior:
[] Led Interior [] DICE Module [] Auxilary 3.5 jack [] 4 channel Amp with component speakers.....and more
Suspension/Handling:
[] KW V3 [] Eibach F&R Sways [] Vibratechnics Tranny mount [] UUC RTAB
[] Vibratechnics Motor Mount [] SSBL [] Turner Camber Plates
[] 90A Akg Subframe Bushings [] Akg Differential Bushings [] Subframe Renforcement

Jump to top cyberlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Nov-11-2016, 03:15:52 PM   #300
SliM3
Registered User
 
SliM3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,564
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 SliM3 is on a distinguished road
Location: Atlanta

United States




Default Re: Failed DIS vanos test, need help translating

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberlando View Post
Usually tho from what I've read....when the vanos has a major malfunction or so it sets the timing to a known set safe value according to Raj at besian. So usually it's either You'd have great low or great high end.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Oh yeah no doubt, there is a replacement value. Mine is not necessarily a malfunction per-se, as VANOS does allow for an amount of over-advance/retard. I just can't run a complete test without first getting the adapts to stabilize. The adapts use mass air/RF, throttle, and torque module to determine the best plausible cam offsets. It's not necessarily used to correct commanded vs actual cam position targets as a result of installation variances. Though, it's a contributing factor!
Jump to top SliM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 02:42:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright 1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing Failed DIS vanos test, need help translating in the E46 M3 (2001-2006) Forum - Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006. at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)